Tank birthday, 47+ years

  • Thread starter Thread starter Paul B
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I feel bad for my copperband. He looks bored, I wish I had a mate for him (or her) I tried adding another one but he almost killer her (or him) OK, I am not going to put those () in anymore, you know what I mean.
He grew a little large and the corals, especially the torches grew a little to big so he has to navigate around everything and I think he is tired of making all those sharp turns. He was about a quarter of his size when I got him.
Sometimes I see him standing on his tail with his nose up in the air right in front of the arrow crab who he thinks is a cleaner shrimp. The arrow crab just looks at him with a puzzled look on his face as if to say "Hey Dude, Do I look like a Sissy cleaner shrimp?" He is also my biggest expense as he can suck down a load of worms, and they don't give them to me for free.
I am not sure how banana fish spawn but I think one is in a nest in the back but I can't get a good look. They are a really nice fish and one of the most colorful with those bright neon yellow stripes. When fish are spawning their colors really pop and I can usually tell if a fish is spawning just by looking at them, or reading their texts.
My pair of pistol shrimp are also probably spawning but I will never know that as they spend most of their time under the gravel. Their symbiotic watchman is also my biggest fish next to the copperband.
My clown gobies continue to spawn and kill my acropora's, but it is what it is. Who needs acro's anyway?
I am getting an urge to put something in the tank, but I am not sure yet. Not a living thing as it is overpacked now , but maybe a big chain or a real anchor from my boat. The only other fish I want is a red pipefish that is supposed to come in tomorrow. I don't know exactly what that looks like, but it sounds weird and that is what I go for. I don't do tangs and angels.
 
Do any of the fry make it from the spawning? The mandarins and/or the gobies?

and of course.. Tank looks nice :thumb:
 
The pipe fish are very cool. That copperband doesn't look too crowded to me. They are pigs though.
 
I have not raised any fry in many years, I wouldn't be able to collect any from the tank anyway. There are always clown gobi eggs in there and the mandarins spawn every few weeks.
It is time consuming to raise them and I just don't do that any more. I am just glad they are spawning.
The copperband is the biggest eater by far and it costs a lot to keep him in worms. Some day I will get him to re imburse me. :wave:

 
Someone asked me these questions on another forum but I am tired of typing so I am also putting it here. Make believe someone asked me this.
I've heard that pipefish are difficult to keep in an active reef tank because, like seahorses, they can't compete for the food. How do you overcome this problem?
Like many things in this hobby, I don't think of that as a problem but just something you need to do to keep such a fish. There is no competition because pipefish don't eat what the other fish are eating. They only eat pods or new born brine shrimp. I have an auto feeder that dispenses pellets, not for the fish, but to feed the pods. Pipefish, unlike Supermodels want to eat all day but they won't find enough pods because I have to many pod eaters so I hatch brine shrimp every day. I put some in the feeder I built and the rest I shoot at the pipefish with the pumps off. They are not a buy and forget fish and have no sense of humor.
Also, supermodels aren't worth the trouble (so I've heard). Their hair always clogs the drains and they require constant small feedings throughout the day. I guess they're kind of like anthias.
I worked with a few Supermodels and some Anthias have a better personality and all Anthias eat more. Also anthias hair doesn't clog my pumps.
(about if I use RO/DI water: I usually use RO/DI water unless I run out, then I use chicken soup.
About the calcium I use: I use "Dow Flake" ice melter but I can't get the powder any more. I can get pellets but I have not tested them yet. I am almost out of the powder so I need to test the pellets next month. Maybe I will test them on an anthias or a Supermodel.
Here is a video of the dragon face pipefish eating new born shrimp.

This is a video of the rest of the fish eating live worms.

This is a video of the fish eating shrimp from the feeder.

This is a video of the whole tank, but it gives me a headache.
You can see the bluestripe in here eating from the feeder.

These are the feeders I use for everything.

Here is a video of me running on the beach in my Speedo. Ok forget that one.:uhoh3:
 
I am all excited now as my boat is in the water, has a full tank of gas and is ready to go. I may go out tomorrow for some clams, not that I will catch them, but there is a restaurant in the Bronx on the water that serves clams on the half shell for $6.00 a dozen, that is like a third of what they normally go for and I just can't resist. Of course it costs $60.00 in boat gas to get there, but it is still a bargain. A boat is a very expensive hobby and it costs you plenty weather you use it or not so you may as well use it.
The summers here in New York are not very long so I need to get out as much as I can.
I also want to go collecting amphipods because in about 2 weeks will be prime amphipod hunting season. Every year I ask fish Geeks if they want to come but they usually say yes, then stiff me so I am not asking this year. I will just pick up some Fish Geek Supermodels and have a ball. Supermodels love sloshing around in a muddy tide pool to collect grass shrimp and amphipods and my reef depends on these excursions
 
Got my boat de winterized last week. Our season is just a few weeks longer than yours. No clams here, but plenty of other summertime fare. I would go pod hunting with you!
 
To de-winterize my boat I just have the marina throw it in the water and I start it up. What is de-winterizing? I winterize it myself as I don't trust anyone with that. As a matter of fact, I don't trust anyone to do anything on my boat, house or car. But that's just me. :playball:
 
Mine weights 28 tons, so it only comes out of the water for servicing the bottom. We drain the engine manifolds and weatherproof the fresh water system as well as the generator and air conditioning packs. I also do a yearly oil change. Then it's off to watch the paddlefish.

I'm getting pretty arthritic, so I do hire some help now a days.
 
Last edited:
Paddlefish? so your boat is in freshwater? That's cool. Mine only weighs 4 tons but I do have to haul it to paint the bottom. I also fill it with antifreeze and have to flush out the fresh water systems and air conditioner, but I did all that and now it is in the water and ready to get some clams, and of course amphipods. I am also getting arthritic, this old stuff is a pain, in more ways than one. :sick:
 
We are in the Lake of the Ozarks. Paddlefish (caviar) and bass are the aquatic life here. Missouri has a lot of wildlife. But the beach sucks.
 
Dang, I'd love to go with!! ALMOST wish I lived closer so I could (I think I'll stick with good ol' Cali for now).
 
Yes that is close enough, drive south and bear left at the Statue of Liberty

 
Bringing home a rescue copperbanded butterfly. He's eating frozen food. He's going in the 6' long frag tank for now to be sure he's eating well. Any hints?
 
He's eating frozen food. He's going in the 6' long frag tank for now to be sure he's eating well. Any hints?

Yes give that thing some live blackworms. Live worms are the secret to this hobby and I am surprised anyone can keep anything without live worms. I may start eating them myself. :becky:

Where are you on the south shore?
I may plan a trip this Tuesday as it is low tide at 11:00am. I have not taken my boat out on a maiden voyage yet this year.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 11 6.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 28 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 59 33.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 28 15.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new