Tank Distance From Wall (RedSea / IM EXT&INT)

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the general consensus for tank distance against a wall. I am planning on putting either a RedSea 350/525 or IM 150 (INT or EXT) against a wall.

How much room do these tanks with their overflows need against the wall. I understand that even an IM INT, you probably want a little root to try and retrieve something that fell behind or run wires.

I am conservatively planning 4", but wasn't sure if that is appropriate or I could get a little closer.

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Minimum 6 inch. I messed up. I have 4 inches and my my Pentair 40W UV had to be insanely wedged back there to get it in, I am sure I mucked up all my drywall. Also, I can’t really get to the unions in a way that I can get my return off. I want to replace it with standard size and eliminate the stock RS pipe. I have a Max S500. I wish I had done 6 or 7 inches. So regret it. I went for nice tight look.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For an internal overflow, I would have it right up against the wall to help with keeping noise in the stand and regain a bit of space. I never ran into any issues doing this.

For external overflows, mine has about 3" between the external overflow back glass and the wall making the entire distand for the stand about 6 inches. This still doesn't easily allow me to access the bulkheads which I am not a fan of in case I need to do something with them.

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For an internal overflow, I would have it right up against the wall to help with keeping noise in the stand and regain a bit of space. I never ran into any issues doing this.

For external overflows, mine has about 3" between the external overflow back glass and the wall making the entire distand for the stand about 6 inches. This still doesn't easily allow me to access the bulkheads which I am not a fan of in case I need to do something with them.

I am pinched on space, so thinking Internal Overflow (Red Seas are internal, right? - I know an IM INT is) . Would that be an issue adding lights or anything behind the tank?

I have yet to see an actual picture of the back of a Red Sea or IM tank to see how cabinet wiring looks like.

I am assuming, if there is 1-1.5 inch, we can fish a wire back.. if anything falls back there, it might be tough to get out.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also things to consider... Something like the Apex feeder is quite large and you have to put the USB cable in the back of that. I can remember the exact measurement, but I would have to get a 90 degree cable to make it work. Usually INT's are flat backed where a EXT you sacrifice the having the tank closer to the wall. I have both a INT and a EXT 40g. The INT is much more difficult to deal with flow, cleaning and rock placement, etc.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pinched on space, so thinking Internal Overflow (Red Seas are internal, right? - I know an IM INT is) . Would that be an issue adding lights or anything behind the tank?

I have yet to see an actual picture of the back of a Red Sea or IM tank to see how cabinet wiring looks like.

I am assuming, if there is 1-1.5 inch, we can fish a wire back.. if anything falls back there, it might be tough to get out.
I think all red sea tanks are internal overflows.

You definitely need to think about spacing when it comes to plug sized. Some are kinda large.

TheFunnyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a Red Sea, but I ran into tight clearance issues with my build.

I framed, boarded, and plastered inset niches in between the stud bays in case I needed Vortech MPs for flow.

If you go this route, be sure to account for in-wall electrical runs, have the bottom of the niche slope downward to prevent moisture pooling, and do a mockup to ensure you can get your hands up there from below the stand.
IMG_6067.jpeg

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a small home, less than 1200 sq ft so space is limited. My reefer 170 in bedroom is 3" from the wall. A little tight and I would increase it to 5" if I move it again.
Reefer 300 in dining room is 5" from the wall and my 180 gallon in living room with hob overflows (so basically external) 5" from the wall. 5" works for me. All I need to be able to do is get my hands back there to run wires.

Nick711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My IM EXT is ~8” and I have no regrets. Adequate access to all the plumbing & added bonus is that I was able to tuck my ATO container behind the tank as well.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want easy access to everything that's behind the tank. Obviosely aesthetics may demand less space but that may require moving stuff to locations where it can be easily accessed.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
before adding water I make sure to reach my arm behind the tank, as long as I can get up to my shoulder behind the tank it's far enough in my opinion.

On the first tank I had it snug against the wall, overtime it is inevitable you will have to access or move something behind the tank so that was a mistake..

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have smaller corridor through my living room where we are planning on putting this. Based on feedback and measuring it out on the floor, I am going to need to go with an INT to eliminate management on the overflows/plumbing behind the tank.

I am planning for a 4' - 5' tank. I would love to have it flush, and don't "plan" on having things hang on the back besides lights, and maybe a feeder. However like everyone has said - you never know what will fall back there, or when i need to replace a light or powerhead, etc. The biggest issue would be if there was a failure with a power strip/block and not being able to easily unplug or replace it (or GFI outlet trips).

I am thinking a 4" gap between wall and tank might be OK.
  • Balance walking space in the room
  • Give me the abilitiy to fit a hand/forearm 2-3' back.
  • I would need to fish wires with a stick or something if it would be towards the center of the tank
I would leave the plug/outlet area uncovered by the tank (but directly adjacent) - in the event electrical work needs to happen a future

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking a 4" gap between wall and tank might be OK.
You should be good with that I think. It's also nice to have room to stick a sweeper tube back there as stuff tends to gather behind things and 4" will allow that.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What is the general consensus for tank distance against a wall. I am planning on putting either a RedSea 350/525 or IM 150 (INT or EXT) against a wall.

How much room do these tanks with their overflows need against the wall. I understand that even an IM INT, you probably want a little root to try and retrieve something that fell behind or run wires.

I am conservatively planning 4", but wasn't sure if that is appropriate or I could get a little closer.
I give it just enough clearance for any components but current tank is clear behind, so 4"

tinkon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My IM EXT is ~8” and I have no regrets. Adequate access to all the plumbing & added bonus is that I was able to tuck my ATO container behind the tank as well.
Did you install the plumbing after putting the tank in place (8" distance to the wall)? I will get my EXT 200 soon and thinking about how to set it up. Thanks

Nick711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you install the plumbing after putting the tank in place (8" distance to the wall)? I will get my EXT 200 soon and thinking about how to set it up. Thanks

I did, mainly because I already had my stand and tank level and did not want to redo the shims, etc. Most of the plumbing I pre-assembled in the garage and I only had to glue a few pieces behind the tank itself.

Only aspect that was a bit more difficult was tightening the overflow bulkheads after gluing to PVC based on my wrench length. For a 200 EXT, I would at least consider plumbing everything attached to the tank (overflow to unions, return bulkheads to elbows / unions) to make it easier on yourself. In that case you can still move the stand and tank separately if needed.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ext 170 will be 12" from the wall. Im building a 15 series 8020
Frame/cabinet behind and out both sides for my 10lb co2 tank, 15 gal ato reservoir, all power bricks, 4 ADJ power strips, and for my hybrid light fixture.
Skimmer controller, 6255 controllers, aqua logic heater controller, ato, and a ph-temp-sg monitor.
You can do alot with the 8020.
This is how I plan to mount my 10 power bricks.
My aquatic life 48" hybrid will be adjustable from zero to 14" above the tank, I will run it at 8", and I will be able to slide it back 14" to work in the tank.
I will start a thread eventually, lol.
20231214_075925.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back