Tank Tear Down

Pittsford_Pets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d just restart all biological things if you plan on redoing it. New rocks, new fish, etc. That way you can cycle your tank without losing anything, and maybe get some money from your current stock

thejuice24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t tested for stray voltage and wouldn’t know how really. I am using RO/DI. I was worried about leaching from the sand and rock because my wife accindently did a top off with come water that was pretreated with copper once. Was about half a gallon. That was about 10 months ago. Also, I had placed a coral in the tank that was dipped with Bayer; but I was a total idiot and forgot to dilute it. I KNOW! I’m a Moron! Anyway. That coral piece leaching out the bayer killed my crab and shrimp. That was about 8 months ago.

Interesting facts, but you would think the corals would be the ones dying not the fish. (Copper). Don’t beat yourself up, we all make our far share of mistakes and opps....

If anyone says they never made a mistake in this hobby, call Bull $h1t!

For the stray voltage, you can pick up a multimeter from Harbor Freight. You tube has some pretty useful videos you can look up. (This prob unlikely) but something you rule out.

I d think the Bayer would be diluted by now with water changes.

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting facts, but you would think the corals would be the ones dying not the fish. (Copper). Don’t beat yourself up, we all make our far share of mistakes and opps....

If anyone says they never made a mistake in this hobby, call Bull $h1t!

For the stray voltage, you can pick up a multimeter from Harbor Freight. You tube has some pretty useful videos you can look up. (This prob unlikely) but something you rule out.

I d think the Bayer would be diluted by now with water changes.
Agreed. I have a volt meter. I’ll look up the process and check it. As far as the bayer mistake, I would also assume it’s a non issue at this point. The copper treated water my wife dumped in was from a 5 gallon bucket that was treated to hold a .5 ppm dose per the seachem instructions. Luckily, there was only about a half gallon to a gallon in there. Would that be enough in a 75 gallon system to cause an issue? That was a while ago too, so there’s been tons of water changes. I’ve had some issue with corals bleaching. I don’t have much, but each frag I’ve had hasn’t done well.

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d just restart all biological things if you plan on redoing it. New rocks, new fish, etc. That way you can cycle your tank without losing anything, and maybe get some money from your current stock
Yeah. It’s not like I have a lot right now. But if i tear down and restart, everything would essentially be QT’d anyway. So it’d be like getting new fish and what not from a LFS. It’s the system itself that I’m worried about being the major issue. Losing that GDM was a big hit for me. Was by far my most loved addition to my tank.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run a Triton test. Find out what is actually in your water. This will help determine if you have a water/tank issue or a parasite issue. Once you know where your problem is then you can make an informed decision on how to move forward.

How do i do this?

I agree with Brew12. Either Triton or ATI.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/icp-oes-testing-kit-triton-1.html
https://www.marinedepot.com/ATI_Lab..._Saltwater_Aquariums-ATI-UZ21850-FITK-vi.html

And if you DO decide to tear down but don't want to replace all your rock/sand - you could bleach them.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/d...than-natural-cures-brstv-investigates.306360/

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! Thanks for the links. That triton test is insanely expensive. Lol. Think I’ll go ahead and do an ATI one soon though. If I bleached the rocks, they have to cure again correct?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pittsford_Pets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. It’s not like I have a lot right now. But if i tear down and restart, everything would essentially be QT’d anyway. So it’d be like getting new fish and what not from a LFS. It’s the system itself that I’m worried about being the major issue. Losing that GDM was a big hit for me. Was by far my most loved addition to my tank.

I had a heater failure that wiped out a majority of my tank. I traded everything else in and I’m much happier now. New sand that doesn’t get blown around, new scape that actually looks nice, a designer clown with an anemone, and now I’m ich free because everything in the tank is basically brand new. I’m also getting better equipment.

It’s your choice - spend $50 to find out you’ll have an issue that’s worth taking it down, or maybe you won’t and just have bad luck. I bet you could trade your current live rock for new live rock, but that’s a maybe.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! Thanks for the links. That triton test is insanely expensive. Lol. Think I’ll go ahead and do an ATI one soon though. If I bleached the rocks, they have to cure again correct?
I'm glad you are getting a test done. Unless you were planning on throwing all your old rock and sand away I feel it is important to test the water. Bleaching the rock and curing it won't remove heavy metals and other contaminants if that is what your problem is.
These are my favorite method of removing most contaminants, outside of GAC. They must be popular because they are frequently out of stock.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4335

Joshua Agostoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your water sounds fine so there could be a toxin seeping in some how.. or maybe temp change occuring.. if your gonna do an entire tire done and clean everything I would buy new sand and recycle the entire take using dr. Tims bacteria live sand isn't that expensive and as for the rock stuff could be living in it I would do a bleach dio and kill everything on it let it sit in bleach for 48 hours then let it is in two water for 48 hours and do about 4 water changes. On the last water change make sure you dose it with prime to remove any chlorine. When cleaning everything only use white vinegar no soaps.

If you gonna do a break down do it the right way.

Joshua Agostoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and after your tank is recycled this with dr.tims should take about 1 or two weeks I would over dose with dr.tims it a great. But after this is cycled and your gonna add the live stock back in your gonna wanna get a bucket with the new water and drop the fish into there so you kinda rinse them of the water they were in. Make sure temps and salt levels are same.

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is all great advice. Thanks to all! I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do yet, but this helps for sure.

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well keep us all in the loop and update us with what you do.
The more and more I thought about it, the more overwhelming it all became. I really think I should just discard all the sand and rock and start fresh, since I don't have too much right now anyway. I won't be able to do that for some time though. Kids take up too much money and all. ;)

Edit: Add wives to that excuse too. LOL

Joshua Agostoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more and more I thought about it, the more overwhelming it all became. I really think I should just discard all the sand and rock and start fresh, since I don't have too much right now anyway. I won't be able to do that for some time though. Kids take up too much money and all. ;)

Edit: Add wives to that excuse too. LOL
Discard sand yes great idea.. don't toss away the rock it would be cheaper to bleach it and then rinse it like crazy and De chlorine it. The rock will be white but over time it'll start to look like live rock again... just watch a YouTube video of bleaching live rock and you'll be good 1 gallon of bleach is far less expensive the 7 bucks per pound for live rock.

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Discard sand yes great idea.. don't toss away the rock it would be cheaper to bleach it and then rinse it like crazy and De chlorine it. The rock will be white but over time it'll start to look like live rock again... just watch a YouTube video of bleaching live rock and you'll be good 1 gallon of bleach is far less expensive the 7 bucks per pound for live rock.
I'll look into that as well! Thanks

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back