RegalAngelYellowChest2016051503.jpg
One for sale?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... And each one more beautiful than the last!

I'd love a pair of Watanabe's - that's a Genicanthus I like both the male and female of! Would also love to pair up my regal and flame.

~Bruce, dreaming big

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any trouble getting them eating when you first got them?
I am batting 50% getting new Regal angels. Two of my Regal were from reefers, so these two does not count as new. I ordered 4 (one at a time) but only got two to live, which are my the other two.
I think from now on I am likely get at least 75% to live. They do need special care. Just get one and dump into DT, they will not make it IMO.

The third picture above was my last Regal. A 1.5 inches Indian Ocean Regal from LA. I keep him in a 30 gal cube reef with a pair of clowns as dither fish. Have a cave for him to hid in but I leave a heater in the cave. I move the heater to get him out of the cave when I feed him. The clowns are very aggressive eater which really help getting him to eat. This QT tank is a well run full reef with a lot of sponges, macro algae and pods. He pick the rocks for supplemental feeding.
After several month there, I just recent release him into my DT. He is doing OK in my DT right now.

Last edited:

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am batting 50% getting new Regal angels. Two of my Regal were from reefers, so these two does not count as new. I ordered 4 but only got two to live, which are my the other two.
I think from now on I am likely get at least 75% to live. They do need special care. Just get one and dump into DT, they will not make it IMO.

Well share your secrets so we all can enjoy these beautiful creatures :)

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is $300 a good deal for a 5" goldflake angel or just so so?

840236de869410bde7a7e458e1dedf73.png

mandarin417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do think I can get two Scribbled juveniles to get along?

Last year I picked up locally a very small juvenile emperor angel. I thought he was so cute that I ended up getting another one just a bit smaller. For about the first hour there was a lot of nipping and aggression from the largest angel. After that first encounter, the two were inseparable. I ended up selling the pair after about 90 days when they discovered how tasty the zoas in my tank were.

I decided I wanted to try the same with a pair of captive bred juvenile Scribbled angels. I received a very nice healthy, eating well and not afraid of anything 1.5 to 2-inch captive bred scribbled from Diver’s Den about 10 days ago. I wanted two but they only had one in stock. She has done very well in the tank and is friendly to me too.

Yesterday I received a second captive bred scribbled from Live Aquaria that is also very healthy and active. It is about half the size of the first scribbled. I caught the first one that has been in the tank for over a week, put it in acclimation box and let it out about 5 hours after the smaller one was acclimated and put into the tank. The larger one was very aggressive to the smaller one so I captured both, put them in an acclimation box with a clear divider between them overnight.

This morning I removed the divider and aggression was much less but still troubling to me so I put the divider back in the box. Interesting how the smaller angel goes pale when being bullied but when separated, regains her full colors.

My thought is to keep them fully separated over the weekend and remove the divider on Monday. They do see each other through the divider.

Does this sound like a workable plan or does anyone have any other recommendations?

My understanding is that scribbled angels all start out as female and one matures to a male.

Any recommendations are really appreciated. Otherwise I will have to find one of the angels a new home.

Thanks,

Bob

M007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried that, didn't work. The slightly larger scribble bullied the smaller on both occasions. Both came from the same shipment and were added together to my tank. It was OK for the first week until one staked out the tank. After that it got nasty. In a large tank, 200G plus, with lots of caves maybe possible. Not reef safe BTW. The one I have decimates any snail he can find, especially nassarius. Pretty fish tho.

mandarin417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks M007 - The smaller one had found a new home with another owner. MMMM - now I wonder about that small Regal I want to add. Wonder if the scribbled will mess with it.

M007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you should say that, I added a pint sized queen angel and the scribble didn't even blink nor did it bother with the cherub that was already in the tank. Doesn't notice the 3 gem tangs or the black tang either. All are juvi's and hang out without any aggression. Also, and this might get me in trouble, they are in a shallow 80. Now before anyone flames me, I have a 240 that the tangs will be moving to shortly and the Queen and Scribble are destined for bigger quarters soon as well. My shallow 80 has 2 bommies and a rather large plating monti, the fish love retreating there, and a scraggly birds nest. I use this set up to quarantine and acclimate juvi fish before they move on to proper tanks. When the bigger fish move out the cherub, cleaner shrimp, and dwarf moray keep the tank until the next batch of juvi's arrives.

clownsrcool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you thoughts on adding (1) flame, (1) potters and (1) coral beauty all at once to a 60x30x22 171g?

I have a 40g Breeder qt they would first go through together. I thought about dividing it up into 3rds with egg crate walls or something. Thoughts?

M007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you thoughts on adding (1) flame, (1) potters and (1) coral beauty all at once to a 60x30x22 171g?

I have a 40g Breeder qt they would first go through together. I thought about dividing it up into 3rds with egg crate walls or something. Thoughts?

The QT tank is a must IMHO. If the fish you speak of are fresh caught you will want to acclimate them to life in captivity. If you can section off your QT with egg crate you will have the greatest chance for success. Easy enough to do really. A piece of PVC in each section for a safe zone would also be good. Next you want fish of equal size. If that's not an option then be sure the potters is the largest, followed by the coral beauty, then the flame. Keep the sizes as close as possible, meaning not a huge potters and a micro flame. Now plan on at least 4 weeks in QT. This will give the fish a chance to mellow out, learn to eat prepared foods, and understand you're not going to eat them. My babies still dart for cover at the slightest movement in the room, but come right back out as they are curious about what snacks I might be offering. This is at the 6 month mark LOL! The scribble is almost at hand feeding but still a touch nervous. Anyway back to your question; all three of your new charges should be eating in 2 to 3 days. Start out with brine shrimp, unrinsed. A healthy fish will smell that hit the water in five seconds and should come out for a taste. May just pick a bit at first but that's ok. No interest at all is a cause for concern. Once their grabbing up the brine you can start with some flake. Once they're on brine and flake you're good to go. My crew jump on just about anything that hits the water, mysis, flake, pellets, nori, to name a few.

Once their eating, out and about foraging, 3-4 weeks have passed, pull out the egg crate and see what happens. There is likely going to be a meet and greet followed by some posturing but things should settle down in a day or two. When I added a QT'd Cherub to my 240 with a resident Flameback there was some bullying from the Flameback but after a few days they figured it out. My sense was the Flameback just wanted the Cherub to understand where his cave was and that the Cherub had no business there. They are totally fine with each other now.

Back to your trio of dwarf Angels; if all goes well after the egg crate comes out give them another few weeks to eat and be merry. I don't know what else you have in your 171 but if your new additions are calm, cool, accustomed to tank life, and strong they should pick up where they left off in QT. Be sure to drip acclimate them to your 171 water for at least an hour. If you can squeeze the acclimatation bucket into your sump while dripping all the better to keep the water temperature stable. You'd be amazed at how the temperature in the bucket will change just sitting on the floor next to your tank even with the drip going for and hour.

Finally; keep in mind wild caught fish have gone through a hell ride from the ocean to your LFS. A week at the LFS is nothing. Think about how you would feel flying for 6 to 18 hours. Most of us two legged folks need a day or two to fully recover back at home, sometimes more. Now think about making the trip in a small plastic bag, in the same water, breathing the same air with no sanitation! These finned fellows are wiped out and need time to recover, lots of time.........Good luck!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The QT tank is a must IMHO. If the fish you speak of are fresh caught you will want to acclimate them to life in captivity. If you can section off your QT with egg crate you will have the greatest chance for success. Easy enough to do really. A piece of PVC in each section for a safe zone would also be good. Next you want fish of equal size. If that's not an option then be sure the potters is the largest, followed by the coral beauty, then the flame. Keep the sizes as close as possible, meaning not a huge potters and a micro flame. Now plan on at least 4 weeks in QT. This will give the fish a chance to mellow out, learn to eat prepared foods, and understand you're not going to eat them. My babies still dart for cover at the slightest movement in the room, but come right back out as they are curious about what snacks I might be offering. This is at the 6 month mark LOL! The scribble is almost at hand feeding but still a touch nervous. Anyway back to your question; all three of your new charges should be eating in 2 to 3 days. Start out with brine shrimp, unrinsed. A healthy fish will smell that hit the water in five seconds and should come out for a taste. May just pick a bit at first but that's ok. No interest at all is a cause for concern. Once their grabbing up the brine you can start with some flake. Once they're on brine and flake you're good to go. My crew jump on just about anything that hits the water, mysis, flake, pellets, nori, to name a few.

Once their eating, out and about foraging, 3-4 weeks have passed, pull out the egg crate and see what happens. There is likely going to be a meet and greet followed by some posturing but things should settle down in a day or two. When I added a QT'd Cherub to my 240 with a resident Flameback there was some bullying from the Flameback but after a few days they figured it out. My sense was the Flameback just wanted the Cherub to understand where his cave was and that the Cherub had no business there. They are totally fine with each other now.

Back to your trio of dwarf Angels; if all goes well after the egg crate comes out give them another few weeks to eat and be merry. I don't know what else you have in your 171 but if your new additions are calm, cool, accustomed to tank life, and strong they should pick up where they left off in QT. Be sure to drip acclimate them to your 171 water for at least an hour. If you can squeeze the acclimatation bucket into your sump while dripping all the better to keep the water temperature stable. You'd be amazed at how the temperature in the bucket will change just sitting on the floor next to your tank even with the drip going for and hour.

Finally; keep in mind wild caught fish have gone through a hell ride from the ocean to your LFS. A week at the LFS is nothing. Think about how you would feel flying for 6 to 18 hours. Most of us two legged folks need a day or two to fully recover back at home, sometimes more. Now think about making the trip in a small plastic bag, in the same water, breathing the same air with no sanitation! These finned fellows are wiped out and need time to recover, lots of time.........Good luck!
If qting, instead of drip acclimating fish for an hour before going into the dt, just gradually match the qt parameters to match the dt parameters. That way the fish can just be moved into the without any acclimation, this will greatly reduced stress.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back