OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope things are looking better this morning.

Everything pulled through just fine. Here's what I did;

1) Didn't panic
2) Turned powerheads to max
3) Added Carbon (ROX 0.8)
4) Skimmed Wet
5) Added 3 Airstones (one on each powerhead)

When corals start sliming that intensely, thats the first sign that tissue loss is right around the corner. So far, nothing is lost. I pulled the Airstones, and water is just slightly hazy still.

What caused it? I dipped and added two mushrooms, and thought that was it. But I had forgotten I dosed 1mL of ME Amino Acids, which contains some vinegar... Now, dosing the equivalent of 1/20th mL of vinegar should not have caused that.... Maybe the stars aligned for some bad luck, I don't know.. Anyways, that's all that happened.

And thanks to @Katrina71 -- I couldn't find my bubblers and was about to give up, but mentioning them gave me the little bit of motivation I needed to keep looking.

The most important thing to do is not panic. When you're panicking you can't think clearly, and you can't solve your problem. It's exceptionally rare that we don't know how to solve our own problems -- but when were panicking, we can easily forget our common sense.

Never panic. It's not worth it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a noob. Is vinegar dosing sorta the same as what NoPox does? Talk me through this. I learn from you guys.

Yep, it's carbon dosing. There's several types of carbon you can dose, NoPox is actually a mixture of Vinegar and Vodka, the two most common.

There's a little bit of vinegar in my Amino Acids, which I pretty rarely use. The amount is so minor that it alone should not be possible of causing this at all. So it could have been an outside factor. Someone in the other thread had mentioned when they clean out their houses HVAC system they have the same problem. So it could have been an outside factor of some sort.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd love to see photos at least once a week. Maybe showcase a few different types of Coral to see progression shots.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NoPox was my culprit. It was quick! I also have a closed system with no skimmer. I understand that is a factor as well. I found success with graduating the % of water with my changes.

Yeah, carbon dosing of any kind without a skimmer is a big no no, as it seemed you learned about the hard way. Sad we couldn't follow along and read about it IN YOUR BUILD THREAD!!!! :p

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, carbon dosing of any kind without a skimmer is a big no no, as it seemed you learned about the hard way. Sad we couldn't follow along and read about it IN YOUR BUILD THREAD!!!! :p
I actually had one then. My fish guy dosed. I argued to wait it out.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually had one then. My fish guy dosed. I argued to wait it out.

Wait you had a fish guy? Is that like a pool boy? Was he at least good looking since he wasn't helping your tank, maybe he was helping your eyes?

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to see photos at least once a week. Maybe showcase a few different types of Coral to see progression shots.

I usually do! But lately I've been a little lax on pictures and updates. I suppose I've been waiting for a more substantial growth spurt

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too LOL! I actually ended up spending the afternoon with one of the vendors here, CaliKid Corals. Amazing shop, very cool guy. Lots of goodies. I went from worrying everything might be toast, to feeling secure with the tank and able to step out and not worry/fawn over it.

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most important thing to do is not panic. When you're panicking you can't think clearly, and you can't solve your problem. It's exceptionally rare that we don't know how to solve our own problems -- but when were panicking, we can easily forget our common sense.

Never panic. It's not worth it.

I could not agree more. I note, for new reefers without experience there is only panic. That is the value of R2R. Glad it is coming along.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too LOL! I actually ended up spending the afternoon with one of the vendors here, CaliKid Corals. Amazing shop, very cool guy. Lots of goodies. I went from worrying everything might be toast, to feeling secure with the tank and able to step out and not worry/fawn over it.

When I was reading this I got the feeling this was gonna end like:

..... Amazing shop, very cool guy. Lots of goodies. I went from worrying everything might be toast, to feeling I could have a whole bunch of new corals....

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was reading this I got the feeling this was gonna end like:

..... Amazing shop, very cool guy. Lots of goodies. I went from worrying everything might be toast, to feeling I could have a whole bunch of new corals....
Oh I could. He wants my big bounce and he's offered $5,000 for it.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 18 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 70 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.8%
Back