The Garden -- Rakies shallow SPS cube

Craigb350

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's worth a watch, but if you don't have 45 minutes I broke down the only part that matters. In fact... The info is cool, but they could have an edited version of the same video that's like 10 minutes long lol.

I run my T5's for 7 hours per day currently. I also have my fixture 10-11" off the water to help with light dispersion.

I don't really worry about par -- My Radion is at 100% intensity. If you move slowly, corals can take some serious par. Just a year ago 40% intensity was burning my SPS up, now I can throw on 100w of additional T5 and they don't mind a bit. I'm getting a growth spurt from my more stagnant corals to boot honestly.

Like you though with the tank and growing corals I prefer the t5s for getting the better light spill, I will just transition slowly over a few weeks as to not shock them

Thanks for the advice though just about to watch the brs video

Craigb350

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's worth a watch, but if you don't have 45 minutes I broke down the only part that matters. In fact... The info is cool, but they could have an edited version of the same video that's like 10 minutes long lol.

I run my T5's for 7 hours per day currently. I also have my fixture 10-11" off the water to help with light dispersion.

I don't really worry about par -- My Radion is at 100% intensity. If you move slowly, corals can take some serious par. Just a year ago 40% intensity was burning my SPS up, now I can throw on 100w of additional T5 and they don't mind a bit. I'm getting a growth spurt from my more stagnant corals to boot honestly.

I have had an interesting night last night,

My friend came round with his par meter, I know have a more even spread of par at different levels of the tank, sand bed I’m getting around 190 medium 240 top 260. I have actually ended up halfing the intensity of my leds, I was nuking them! I am now running on this schedule similar to wwc.

D9BB4F04-896A-4F9E-BBD7-9D742DEDC7A1.png

Craigb350

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, if they were handling the light before no need to lower it.

I'm of the belief that more light and more flow = more better lol.

Photoinhibition is real... But some corals don't achieve color under low par levels.

What I am going to do is raise the lights and increase the intensity

Im also on the verge of adding a 3rd Mp40 to the tank, so that will be 3 in a 500 litre (132 us gallon) Tank.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I am going to do is raise the lights and increase the intensity

Im also on the verge of adding a 3rd Mp40 to the tank, so that will be 3 in a 500 litre (132 us gallon) Tank.
So my thoughts on flow...

Honestly 2 mp40s wasn't enough for my 50 cube! But I like massive flow... I'm running north of 6000 gph in my tank. If I were using vortechs on your tank I'd be running a pair of mp60s and mp40s. But I know they aren't cheap...

Consider a tunze stream 3. same price, insane quality, unparalleled 5 year warranty, much more flow, much more power efficient. It's a serious pump. The only cons are it's ugly and large.

For my money, nothing compares to tunze. And a single stream 3 would give you all the flow you'll ever need.

Lastly, remember, the people everyone trusts (WWC) tells everyone you want as much flow as possible.

Now, as for lighting height!!!

Raising the light fixture height is the best thing you can do. Keeping LEDs 20-24" off the water surface makes a huge difference!

Sorry, I'm wordy and like to explain things thoroughly. I find it much better than just saying "blah is better bro".

Craigb350

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my thoughts on flow...

Honestly 2 mp40s wasn't enough for my 50 cube! But I like massive flow... I'm running north of 6000 gph in my tank. If I were using vortechs on your tank I'd be running a pair of mp60s and mp40s. But I know they aren't cheap...

Consider a tunze stream 3. same price, insane quality, unparalleled 5 year warranty, much more flow, much more power efficient. It's a serious pump. The only cons are it's ugly and large.

For my money, nothing compares to tunze. And a single stream 3 would give you all the flow you'll ever need.

Lastly, remember, the people everyone trusts (WWC) tells everyone you want as much flow as possible.

Now, as for lighting height!!!

Raising the light fixture height is the best thing you can do. Keeping LEDs 20-24" off the water surface makes a huge difference!

Sorry, I'm wordy and like to explain things thoroughly. I find it much better than just saying "blah is better bro".

Haha you read my mind,

the lights are currently at 14" from the water line so Im going to raise them up to 20" to help with LED blending, I have updated my thread, just as you replied !! lol

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So power outage issues...

Yesterday around 4pm I heard a really loud buzzing/electrical sound outside, then my power went off. Nothing increases anxiety like the sound of all my pumps, lights, skimmer, and ATO alarm going off... Then it flickers back on. Okay, power surge. Sucks, but it happens. So I getup to reset the apex and BZZZZZT, power out again... This went on for hours. They are working on the block over, but apparently it must have caused some type of damage in my neighborhood, as they are now working on my street.

So while I was out today, I come home to be told "Oh, the power has been going on and off the last few hours"... Turns out my family didn't want to scare me, it had been going on and off all day -_-

Reached out to an electrician friend of mine -- He's got a 250g running 3x 250w MH, and 4 96w T5's, multiple big tunzes, gyres, blah blah. He built his own battery backup that can run his entire system minus the halides for 2-3 days straight. Looks like that's my next investment. I have corals worth more than my car right now, I can't afford to lose a gem because Edison screwed the pooch.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So power outage issues...

Yesterday around 4pm I heard a really loud buzzing/electrical sound outside, then my power went off. Nothing increases anxiety like the sound of all my pumps, lights, skimmer, and ATO alarm going off... Then it flickers back on. Okay, power surge. Sucks, but it happens. So I getup to reset the apex and BZZZZZT, power out again... This went on for hours. They are working on the block over, but apparently it must have caused some type of damage in my neighborhood, as they are now working on my street.

So while I was out today, I come home to be told "Oh, the power has been going on and off the last few hours"... Turns out my family didn't want to scare me, it had been going on and off all day -_-

Reached out to an electrician friend of mine -- He's got a 250g running 3x 250w MH, and 4 96w T5's, multiple big tunzes, gyres, blah blah. He built his own battery backup that can run his entire system minus the halides for 2-3 days straight. Looks like that's my next investment. I have corals worth more than my car right now, I can't afford to lose a gem because Edison screwed the pooch.

I went thru a similar situation and the emergency backup became a serious concern and moved up the priority list for sure. At the least, I am investing in a power inverter to run off my car battery while its idling. Upgrades will ensue.

Was curious and stopped in originally to see if u played with the vibrant yet or not..

Your SPS are truely magnifico!!
SALUTE

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went thru a similar situation and the emergency backup became a serious concern and moved up the priority list for sure. At the least, I am investing in a power inverter to run off my car battery while its idling. Upgrades will ensue.

Was curious and stopped in originally to see if u played with the vibrant yet or not..

Your SPS are truely magnifico!!
SALUTE

Yes on Friday it will officially be the second week. I'm getting a lot of Bubble Algae dislodging but only a few turned white and burst -- on the first week too.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes on Friday it will officially be the second week. I'm getting a lot of Bubble Algae dislodging but only a few turned white and burst -- on the first week too.
Nice. What did u decide on for a dosing regiment?

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos coming in from vibrant. I suspect the vibrant because every single time I try and use something to kill bubble algae, I get dinos. When natural algae dies off, dinos take over quickly.

Lost priceless SPS last time... I don't know what to do anymore.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will tell you how I got rid of mine. I did nothing. I let the GHA and cyano starve it out. Curious if you could do the same.

If I do nothing I lose about 15k or more in corals -- I have no GHA, cyano -- The only algae I have at all is Bubble Algae. And no, Chaeto doesn't help. The first time I had dinos I had chaeto, all it did was kill the chaeto.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U doubled the dose... right off the rip.

UWC suggests going slow at first, then ramping up as u view the results and changes.

I went 1/2 doses, weekly instead of biweekly. It took about 2 weeks for the bubble algae to die off. And now the green on the sand bed and rocks is diminishing week by week. I'm ready to stop the dosing and see how it reacts.

Sorry to hear ur tank is reacting with dinos. Frustration for sure.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 68 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back