The Garden -- Rakies shallow SPS cube

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cooper turns 5 months old, 1 month shy of the big 0.5!

b6f1acd8b8691f23717995f50df459bf.jpg

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall Update!

Bonsai Structure

No word on the Bonsai structure yet -- it's only been 3 of 4 weeks so I was hopeful but not expecting it too early. I also ordered the week before the 4th so he may have spent some family time away from the shop for a day or three. I emailed them twice and haven't gotten a response, but to be fair I think it's a one man operation, and when he has gotten back to me he's been very helpful and cool to deal with.

If it takes a little longer but it's exactly what I want, I can live with it. And if he takes a bit to reply but his replies are quality and not just a few one word answers, I can also live with it. This is a tough business, and running something solo isn't always easy. So long as the finished product is on par then I can give most small thing a pass.

I'm still very optimistic about this structure, having seen a few in person.

Corals
Everything is growing and coloring very well right now. Excited to see how these progress now that some of these fingernail sized frags are reaching mini colony size.

New Corals
I've got a pack of about 10 corals coming from one guy, and 7 frags lined up for a trade. So 17 new frags coming. Right now the limiting factor on the trade is how many frags I can fit in the box. I'm at about 5-6 right now, a triple frag rainbow blossom, a few unnamed ones, and a few named ones too. It'll be a nice pack going both ways, he's definitely sending me some really nice stuff.

Kalkwasser
I never learn my lesson with Kalk. Even now, with a metric ton of corals, my tank cannot handle fully saturated kalk water. I always think it can, but it just resulted in a bit of an alk spike. If I continue to use kalk with my CalRx, I'll be sure to use a single tablespoon in my 10g ATO.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just need some pictures to go with that update now ;) haha glad to hear things are going along nicely man!

I was hoping the structure would be here before the next round of pictures, doesn't seem likely though !

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll need to fix mine too haha
Just checking in. It's been quiet, and was wondering if the Email Updates stopped.
BROKEN Again, since posts happened.
Thanks for your update. Waiting patiently for you to finish your projects up.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checking in. It's been quiet, and was wondering if the Email Updates stopped.
BROKEN Again, since posts happened.
Thanks for your update. Waiting patiently for you to finish your projects up.
I'll never finish my projects, I have way too many going on. Who knows if I'll even get to my electronics board before 2020. I've got an unopened return pump upgrade just sitting on the floor for a month.

The only thing I'm actually interested in doing is setting up the bonsai structure lol

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know of anything that kills ulva? Mine isn’t receding, rather the opposite :( . I started vibrant today for my bubble algae, not sure if it helps with ulva too. My tomini pecks at it but doesn’t make a dent in the population.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know of anything that kills ulva? Mine isn’t receding, rather the opposite :( . I started vibrant today for my bubble algae, not sure if it helps with ulva too. My tomini pecks at it but doesn’t make a dent in the population.

Not really, I'm afraid! Vibrant is an algaecide, so it will kill ALL aglaes, but that can sometimes allow other things to take over in their place. Tomini are hit and miss, mine loves grazing on any algae except the ones I have of course. Some aren't as picky.

If you need, you could try another tang. Usually bristletooth are unrivaled, but yellows can also work well. If you don't have meaty LPS like Scolly/Acans/Brain corals, then a FoxFace or Rabbitfish is probably the best go-to.

Lastly, I would not dose too heavy on the vibrant. I had gotten dinos from using too much as I was advised by friends who've used it successfully. It wrecked probably $600-800 in SPS in a few days.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really, I'm afraid! Vibrant is an algaecide, so it will kill ALL aglaes, but that can sometimes allow other things to take over in their place. Tomini are hit and miss, mine loves grazing on any algae except the ones I have of course. Some aren't as picky.

If you need, you could try another tang. Usually bristletooth are unrivaled, but yellows can also work well. If you don't have meaty LPS like Scolly/Acans/Brain corals, then a FoxFace or Rabbitfish is probably the best go-to.

Lastly, I would not dose too heavy on the vibrant. I had gotten dinos from using too much as I was advised by friends who've used it successfully. It wrecked probably $600-800 in SPS in a few days.
Oh wow ok. I just did the minimum dosage, so hopefully things won’t die. I’m just trying to get a handle on this stuff. The Sea lettuce is consuming all my nutrients and starving out my coral, so idk, it was a tough and desperate call. I’ll monitor parameters extra close, attempt to not bottom out my nutrients. I’m in the market for a Casper scopas (all white), do they eat algae well?

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll never finish my projects, I have way too many going on. Who knows if I'll even get to my electronics board before 2020. I've got an unopened return pump upgrade just sitting on the floor for a month.

The only thing I'm actually interested in doing is setting up the bonsai structure lol
I hear you. Sometimes brainless, artistic Hand Craft work is the most fun and therapeutic for the mind and soul.
Believe it or not, after a rough day at work with complex stuff.....Cleaning tank Glass, or even a skimmer cup for me is Enjoyable LOL.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgrade time.
If only.. he'll, I've got a buddy with a nice 120g laying around I could get cheap but the space issue.

I have this coming in the mail tomorrow

RRA orange passion
TSA rainbow fusion
SR MVP Mille
WWC pink panther
WWC Jell-O shot Mille
TGC cherry bomb
BC battle stag

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back