The ION Director video is here! Automatically test Ca, Mg, NO3, K and Na!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHL_USA_Banner.png

ION Director spotlight video
Watch it today!

We are delighted to announce that the long awaited ION Director video is now available for viewing. Watch as we break down the features, capabilities and test procedure of the IOND.
Best of all, we show you a side-by-side comparison of the IOND's results and ICP lab verified water sample so you can see how accurate the IOND really is!

Product information:
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/products/ion-director/

IOND FAQ page:
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/knowledge-base/faq-ion-director/

Subscribe to our newsletter:
http://eepurl.com/gNF_PL

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great explanatory video on the ION Director capabilities. I'm very excited and hope that the we won't have to wait too long to have it by our reefs.

FishDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So from my understanding this will not test alk, and the requirement of using three dosing pump heads means as im dosing two part i would need two dosing pumps. I have a GHL stand alone doser. I would continue with GHL, but currently your competitor does more. Hope GHL comes up with a solution to these down the road. Also, afraid of the price tags.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So from my understanding this will not test alk, and the requirement of using three dosing pump heads means as im dosing two part i would need two dosing pumps. I have a GHL stand alone doser. I would continue with GHL, but currently your competitor does more. Hope GHL comes up with a solution to these down the road. Also, afraid of the price tags.
I view the comparison as apples and oranges. They have a separate unit to test alkalinity. Which by the way, for the majority of the community is enough to know our alkalinity and calcium consumption. And the ionD match what the competitors can test and then some.

For me what makes the ionD so good is the ability to test nitrate. All the others (as I say) are for the tourists.

Ideally i would want an automated tester that tests alk, N03 and P04. Those are the only ones I test daily or at least once a week. The others are monthly or never.

But back to ionD, this is an addition to the automated tester they currently have.

For the majority of people if you're purchasing the ionD, you already have the KhD. And if you're dosing 2 part then between the 2 you have enough free dosing pumps to dispense 2 part.

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Why should it test alk when GHL has another dispositive called KH Director to do that?

FishDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I could get a trident that tests both alk and ca in a single unit. As these are the two most important test factors for experienced reefers in my opinion, it would be nice to have a single tester/controller. So next question is there a package price for some of these units? If i were to transition to both the ion and kh director and would need an additional doser its seems quite expensive. I believe GHL provides quality products, just wish one system to do both.

BiGGiePauls33

YT/GreatBeardedReef and IG/GreatBeardedReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I could get a trident that tests both alk and ca in a single unit. As these are the two most important test factors for experienced reefers in my opinion, it would be nice to have a single tester/controller. So next question is there a package price for some of these units? If i were to transition to both the ion and kh director and would need an additional doser its seems quite expensive. I believe GHL provides quality products, just wish one system to do both.
You also can't replace Doser heads without breaking warranty with Neptune and need to buy constant 3 or 6 month reagents. My monies on GHL as I have the p4 and khd already but did look into Neptune apex and it's products before making the purchases that I did. GHL is a better company and product in my opinion.
Also, you can get both a slave units that are strictly controlled by you P4 or get standalone units that allow you to use them by themselves, another big +1 for GHL.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand what you are saying, but, if Neptune comes out with a tester that test the other important parameters, mainly N03, then you would have to buy another Trident. I have a full Apex system, so I understand, but either way you will have to spend more money. So this just needs to be looked at logically. :)

Everyone else, lets not turn this thread into a Chevy vs. Ford debate.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the GHL gear heads out there, If I chose to purchase a Ion standalone unit, how do I monitor the testing? Is it done thru the standard App and such?

FishDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I don't see these other parameters as essential to test. Its great to see tech allowing programming and automation. Looking forward to the point a single piece of gear does it all. I prefer GHL quality over neptune also. Ohh it would be great if all these companies could work on providing better user interfaces also.

BiGGiePauls33

YT/GreatBeardedReef and IG/GreatBeardedReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I don't see these other parameters as essential to test. Its great to see tech allowing programming and automation. Looking forward to the point a single piece of gear does it all. I prefer GHL quality over neptune also. Ohh it would be great if all these companies could work on providing better user interfaces also.
GHL's user interface seems to get a bad wrap from others that I've read about. I find it pretty easy to navigate with drop downs and such. Here's a quick screenshot of what mine currently looks like. Bringing a kalk reactor online this week due to low pH.
Screenshot_20201115-212315.png
Screenshot_20201115-214132.png

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the GHL gear heads out there, If I chose to purchase a Ion standalone unit, how do I monitor the testing? Is it done thru the standard App and such?
If you mean standalone Set then yep. Note for clarity, you need to have either the P4 or standalone doser as the brain.

OP
OP
Vinny@GHLUSA

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Vinny@GHLUSA , one thing that seems to be conflicting information is the video states that the total waste per test is 5 ml while the FAQ webpage states that there is a total of 15 ml of waste. Can you clarify which one is correct?

Thanks

What's conflicting about it?

In the video, we are discussing waste water from the tank. That's is 5ml.
In the FAQ page, it asks about waste water in general. That 15ml. A breakdown of where the extra 10ml comes from was also provided in the FAQ page.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's conflicting about it?

In the video, we are discussing waste water from the tank. That's is 5ml.
In the FAQ page, it asks about waste water in general. That 15ml. A breakdown of where the extra 10ml comes from was also provided in the FAQ page.
Thanks for the clarification! When I watched the video, I construed total waste per test was 5ml.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also heard 5ml. I have not read the FAQ but I assume that 15ml means 5ml of Calibration A and 5ml Calibration B and lastly 5ml of sample water?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 68 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back