OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Concerning UV burning out quickly, did you replace with UV? Not sure I understood above @reeferfoxx Do you gurus find that UV is useful? As low as 395nm?

Love this thread. I was always a metal halide user but I know how to solder :)
Well, I believe the UV range goes up to 420nm. Obviously more violet and less of a true UV, can still have some benefits.

The 390 or 395nm was effective. In fact, after adding them to my light, i experienced a small bleaching event. I cant say if it helped with coloration or growth. I was experiencing a lot of tank issues.

The only reason I don't suggest them is because they not only burn out but they melt. You won't really know you've lost the UV spectrum until you take down the light and open it up. And that could be anywhere from 5 to 8 months of use.

Decided to replace the two 390nm(UV) chips with 450nm(blue). They were due for a change out but didn't want to risk bleaching. Here are some macro shots.
6-8 months of use...
20170605_210104.jpg
20170605_210134.jpg
20170605_210227.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew 395nm would hit the Chlorophyll C secondary peak, but it is good to hear you actually noticed a difference. Not so good to hear they melt! I have not heard that before.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew 395nm would hit the Chlorophyll C secondary peak, but it is good to hear you actually noticed a difference. Not so good to hear they melt! I have not heard that before.
SBreef uses them in their lights. They claim theirs lasts a year. Thats up for debate. Otherwise not many people use the 395s.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone attached a led controller to their blackbox?
Have the non wifi galaxyhydro and was debating using a coralux storm controller on it. And wondering if anyone has done anything similar.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What? I didn't mean anything by it. I just know its been a puzzle.
Lol. I know. ;) Been buisy with other life stuff.

Has anyone attached a led controller to their blackbox?
Have the non wifi galaxyhydro and was debating using a coralux storm controller on it. And wondering if anyone has done anything similar.
A number of folks are doing with apex and other tank controllers , yes. And videos are prettty available on YouTube. The one from sbreeflight is pretty good.

Another one to look at is blue fish.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A number of folks are doing with apex and other tank controllers , yes. And videos are prettty available on YouTube. The one from sbreeflight is pretty good.

I’ve seen a few mentions that it burns up the drivers to run them via the 0-10v interface. Anyone heard about this?

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks will take a look.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I could find via a quick google search. It definitely by any definition, but it does make me a bit hesitant.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=24388821&postcount=42
IMO. Lots of folks say bad stuff about stuff. , but I haven't seen it at all time now.

But like with this bit of kit , a lot more folks are doing it and using it a lot. And almost nobody seems to complain.
So that to me indicates it's not a problem.

But it also doesn't mention a lot of the specific tech specs we need to know. Like his dimming method.
And we'll, my bb Ramps from the factory. So....

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO. Lots of folks say bad stuff about stuff. , but I haven't seen it at all time now.

But like with this bit of kit , a lot more folks are doing it and using it a lot. And almost nobody seems to complain.
So that to me indicates it's not a problem.

But it also doesn't mention a lot of the specific tech specs we need to know. Like his dimming method.
And we'll, my bb Ramps from the factory. So....

I think that’s a good distinction. If they ramp natively, then modding them shouldn’t be any different. But I think I would be cautious of the standard plain Jane BB with just a resistive dimming control. I’m hesitant to do this, though I’d really love to, on my SB basics.

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So switch out the drivers at the same time? Meanwells only add a little to the build cost to be on the safe side.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back