The Modified Black Box Thread

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have one more question. Can you over cool LEDs? Is there an ideal operating temperature?
I guess that's 2 questions.

You CAN overcool LEDs, but their operating range is usually listed in their spec sheet. The ones I use have an operating temp from -30 degrees Celsius (-22F) to 85 degrees Celsius (185F). Barring a Thermoelectric chiller plate (peltier cooling) you're not getting that low, and the energy you're burning keeping them at that temp is so inefficient you may as well be running T8 fluorescent.

Keeping the LED cooler will extend the effective life of the diode, but trying to keep it below ambient room temperature is unnecessary.

Reverend Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You CAN overcool LEDs, but their operating range is usually listed in their spec sheet. The ones I use have an operating temp from -30 degrees Celsius (-22F) to 85 degrees Celsius (185F). Barring a Thermoelectric chiller plate (peltier cooling) you're not getting that low, and the energy you're burning keeping them at that temp is so inefficient you may as well be running T8 fluorescent.

Keeping the LED cooler will extend the effective life of the diode, but trying to keep it below ambient room temperature is unnecessary.
Thank you for the advice.

ReeFaLoT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my tank now with the new led layout.

Just channel 1.
Screenshot_20200525-160507_Gallery.jpg

Just channel 2.
Screenshot_20200525-160405_Gallery.jpg

Both channels ch1 at 45% ch2 5%.
Screenshot_20200525-160450_Gallery.jpg

I will draw the layout later.

What kind of coral is this? with the purple and green look?

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's my hammers they seem to be one of the things I can keep. I tried a top down shot by floating my phone in a plastic lid off a donut box, the photo is of the main coral and it's weird how different the colours look on the same coral.
20201030_221121.jpg

I gave the tank a long overdue clean, I had to clean the filter box off as seems to be full of vermatid snails.
Screenshot_20201030-221044_Gallery.jpg

ReeFaLoT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's my hammers they seem to be one of the things I can keep. I tried a top down shot by floating my phone in a plastic lid off a donut box, the photo is of the main coral and it's weird how different the colours look on the same coral.
20201030_221121.jpg

I gave the tank a long overdue clean, I had to clean the filter box off as seems to be full of vermatid snails.
Screenshot_20201030-221044_Gallery.jpg
This looks great. I hope to get my tank looking like this one day.

Cow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know a brand with 21" long dimensions that uses 0-10v for dimming? I have a T5 hybrid fixture for my 75g and want to mod black boxes to dim with my apex. I was looking at the WILLS brand but don't know if they are PWM.

I have a smaller 140W Wattshine that is only 9.5" long but I know they use 0-10V so I can dim it with the Apex. Not sure what dimension lights would be ideal for my tank at 48" long 18" deep. If I got 2 of the WILLs lights I would have LEDs covering nearly the entire length of the tank. I figured I have T5s on the side so a wider LED won't help as much as a longer does.

Reverend Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know a brand with 21" long dimensions that uses 0-10v for dimming? I have a T5 hybrid fixture for my 75g and want to mod black boxes to dim with my apex. I was looking at the WILLS brand but don't know if they are PWM.

I have a smaller 140W Wattshine that is only 9.5" long but I know they use 0-10V so I can dim it with the Apex. Not sure what dimension lights would be ideal for my tank at 48" long 18" deep. If I got 2 of the WILLs lights I would have LEDs covering nearly the entire length of the tank. I figured I have T5s on the side so a wider LED won't help as much as a longer does.
2 of the larger units mounted at least 16" off the water will give you good coverage.

ReeFaLoT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The NICREW lights on Amazon have 0-10V. NICREW Lights

Cow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The NICREW lights on Amazon have 0-10V. NICREW Lights
That's pretty awesome they have 0-10V adjustment on a port. Looks like it has some UV and purple LEDs too which seems unusual for a lot of black boxes.

This is the light I was thinking about running, the dimensions seem a bit better for coverage. But I'd have to hack it open and piggy back off the dimmer knobs and hope it's 0-10V and not PWM.

The NICREW seems like a better mix of LEDs for spectrum, but I don't really know a lot about this subject. I have a PAR meter to test different setups I guess.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Playing with viparspectra....

20201218_072041.jpg

I popped open one of my spare viparspectras and replaced a white with a Luxeon C Mint

Not sure if it's been done (there's no way I'm the first to try this, but maybe?), but now I want to go and replace some of the crappy 395s that burn out with quality LEDs, either SemiLed or if I can get a good price, some Philips Z package.

Thinking about replacing the greens, maybe the reds, or greens and some whites with mint and see how it looks.

As long as I keep voltage in the same ballpark (most of these are in the 2.5-3v) range I should be good, especially on White channel which won't be driven as hard... Yet.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back