SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have a 20g nuvo AIO tank and im thinking about taking one of the media baskets and taking the dividers out using some marine pure gems at the bottom and then fill the rest u with the 2 little fishies substrate. and planting a mangrove. does anyone have any objections or know of anyone who has done this before. ive been trying to find a tank on here with one back there but cant seem to find it. i read they dont really do much for your tank and dont really impact the parameters to much so i thought i might pick up a mangrove at ReefAPalooza nyc later this year. but I'm trying to figure out if its a viable idea by no means do i have any experience keeping mangroves.
I have definitely seem some others grow mangroves in their back chambers, but am yet to see an impressive tree while other DT mangroves I have seen literally near full trees. Also that is true, but when they start dying they release a lot of nutrients into the tank and can cause crashes.

Alex's Nano Reef

Don't tell my Landlord
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have definitely seem some others grow mangroves in their back chambers, but am yet to see an impressive tree while other DT mangroves I have seen literally near full trees. Also that is true, but when they start dying they release a lot of nutrients into the tank and can cause crashes.
In your eyes what do you think the probability of a mangrove dying in a 20g AIO sump is. I don't really know what causes mangroves to pass away and how to avoid it tbh ima start reading up on them a little more.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@SauceyReef interesting, I've yet to see/hear of a documented case where a dying mangrove caused a tank crash. I mean, I'd imagine most any significant enough imbalance in a tank could cause things to go downhill, but in my experience, unlike a lot of other things in reef tanks, mangroves don't die very quickly and release toxins, gametes, or just dissolve into a mess that would trigger a crash. The one dead mangrove I had was basically just a stick, and after watching for it to recover for a few months I pulled it out of my tank. It wasn't a reef tank at the time, but I'd have a hard time believing that if it had been it would have caused a tank crash.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your eyes what do you think the probability of a mangrove dying in a 20g AIO sump is. I don't really know what causes mangroves to pass away and how to avoid it tbh ima start reading up on them a little more.

Alex, what is your purpose of putting one in a sump? If it's for nutrient removal, don't bother, not worth the effort. If it's because you like how mangroves look in a reef tank, then I'd suggest putting it in the tank itself and make it a nice feature of the tank. If you just want to experiment with growing a mangrove, then you can put one in a bucket or a planter with freshwater and some sand and a strong but inexpensive LED grow bulb. I think you'd be sacrificing a lot of useful sump space for an area that's just not really a good spot for a mangrove.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sharing my mangrove growth documentation thread here for anyone that wants to follow along. I've been growing 4 mangrove trees out in a 20 long freshwater tank for over a year, and plan to transition them to saltwater soon. I've also tried trimming the apical/growth stem.

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well honestly I can not say as it largely depends on having the correct setup. But if this helps, if you have the right lights and water params, plus daily misting, I think whether a mangrove is in a back chamber or DT it will do very well.
Sharing my mangrove growth documentation thread here for anyone that wants to follow along. I've been growing 4 mangrove trees out in a 20 long freshwater tank for over a year, and plan to transition them to saltwater soon. I've also tried trimming the apical/growth stem.

I actually heard this from a local high regarded seller in our area - Frost Corals. He was selling mangroves for a while. I asked to purchase one and he suggested I make sure the tank is setup for it. I asked why and we started talking about how if a mangrove dies it can release excess nutrients in the tank and cause massive param imbalance. Now this is just from hearing him - I have never had any personal experience with Mangroves nor have I heard this anywhere else I believe. But it has to be true to some sense. Ive had macros die or die off and it causes a nutrient spike. Even pulling some established macro out will cause a nutrient spike from my experience. And thank you for sharing! Checking it out now.

CC_N

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the look of a mangrove lagoon. How can i make the root kind of branching out ?

horseloverfats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you in Australia? I’d check with the wildlife department first. Mangrove Forests, which coincide with seagrass beds, then coral reefs are the most important aspects of carbon control. One acre of mangrove forest handles 4 times the amount of harmful gases of an acre of rain forest. One acre of seagrass is 35-65 times more affective than rainforest, and coral reefs are 25 times more. You can confirm my numbers, I’ve seen a few different. Anyway, conservation is so important. Over the last half decade, we have lost 50% of the world’s mangrove forests, 35% of that coming in the last decade. It is quite serious.
I am interested in reading where you got the figures of losing 50% in the last decade. Any link or point in the right direction would help.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well honestly I can not say as it largely depends on having the correct setup. But if this helps, if you have the right lights and water params, plus daily misting, I think whether a mangrove is in a back chamber or DT it will do very well.

I actually heard this from a local high regarded seller in our area - Frost Corals. He was selling mangroves for a while. I asked to purchase one and he suggested I make sure the tank is setup for it. I asked why and we started talking about how if a mangrove dies it can release excess nutrients in the tank and cause massive param imbalance. Now this is just from hearing him - I have never had any personal experience with Mangroves nor have I heard this anywhere else I believe. But it has to be true to some sense. Ive had macros die or die off and it causes a nutrient spike. Even pulling some established macro out will cause a nutrient spike from my experience. And thank you for sharing! Checking it out now.

Interesting. I'm very skeptical, especially without any clear evidence. Mangroves dying seems to me to be a quite different situation than macroalgaes - trees and macroalgae are not actually very similar organisms, so I would be cautious drawing too many comparisons between the two. Macroaglaes can grow very quickly and uptake a relatively significant amount of nutrients, which is why growing and removing chaeto can help remove nutrients from your water. Macroalgaes and trees react very differently when they die. Certain macroalgaes are known to go sexual and release spores and nutrients into the water. Mangroves mostly just shrivel up and drop their leaves.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the look of a mangrove lagoon. How can i make the root kind of branching out ?
It takes a very long time to achieve this look growing mangroves from propagules. A few years or more at least. You can try and see if you can find someone in your area that has a mature mangrove they may be willing to sell, but unless you live someplace like Florida where mangroves are native I think this is unlikely. Also, they are usually illegal to remove from their environment, so you'd need to find one that someone else has raised in a pot or something from a propagule. If you just want the look of the roots without having an actual live tree, you can get fake roots made from resin. Just don't put real dead wood in a reef tank, it will throw your parameters off. You can put real dead wood in a freshwater tank though, if you don't actually care about keeping saltwater fish and achieve a similar look.

CC_N

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i live in Vietnam. Maybe i'll try taking a adolescence tree from the national park.

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I'm very skeptical, especially without any clear evidence. Mangroves dying seems to me to be a quite different situation than macroalgaes - trees and macroalgae are not actually very similar organisms, so I would be cautious drawing too many comparisons between the two. Macroaglaes can grow very quickly and uptake a relatively significant amount of nutrients, which is why growing and removing chaeto can help remove nutrients from your water. Macroalgaes and trees react very differently when they die. Certain macroalgaes are known to go sexual and release spores and nutrients into the water. Mangroves mostly just shrivel up and drop their leaves.
True but one thing I have learned from this hobby is anything that dies with considerable size comparatively to the water volume causes param fluctuations. I am just keeping note of what this coral vendor said and trying my best to get the tank perfect before introducing the mangroves.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True but one thing I have learned from this hobby is anything that dies with considerable size comparatively to the water volume causes param fluctuations. I am just keeping note of what this coral vendor said and trying my best to get the tank perfect before introducing the mangroves.
I guess what I am attempting to explain is the importance of the mechanism of the parameter fluctuations. With certain corals or macroalgae, death or disease can result in tissue, spores, or other biological material from the organism being released into or decaying into the water column, which can result in an imbalance in nutrient levels or other parameters. And it can happen somewhat rapidly compared to the slow degradation I've seen occur in mangroves.

With my experience and observations, mangroves tend to shrivel and drop leaves when stressed or when they die. If you left the dead mangrove there for long enough, it may get soft and start decaying into the water, throwing off nutrient or ph levels, or any unremoved dropped leaves could do the same. But if you're paying attention, I personally find it to be very unlikely to become an issue. Maybe what this coral vendor had seen was people just throwing mangroves into their sump and forgetting about them, which I could see causing a problem. I'm definitely not advocating for anyone to do this. But if you are sure to observe them and care for them, I still can't see how it would result in much of a problem, even if they don't ultimately do well.

I do appreciate your concern for both the health of your tank and the health of the mangroves, it can't hurt to make sure to have the correct and stable parameters for anything you add to your tank.

Last edited:

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i live in Vietnam. Maybe i'll try taking a adolescence tree from the national park.

I don't recommend this. If it's not illegal, it's at least bad for the environment to remove as ecological important and sensitive a species as a mangrove from its habitat, especially from a national park. I also am not sure that transplanting a larger, more mature mangrove from its native habitat into an aquarium habitat would result in it surviving or doing well. If you want a live tree, I'd recommend growing one or finding one that someone else has grown.

CC_N

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here there aren’t many mangrove growers. Maybe I’ll go with the replica ones

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am finally getting ready for Mangroves here with my 15.2 peninsula! Even at 3 months the tank is taking its time to find stability. I guess Mangroves wont mind high nitrates/phosphates seeing they are so good at removing organics. Maybe they will help the tank create some balance.
waterbox mangrove 4.jpeg

Here is my other tank running - over a year old fluval evo. Plan to move some corals over to the Waterbox eventually.
fluval .jpeg
waterbox mangrove 3.jpeg waterbox mangrove 2.jpeg waterbox mangrove.jpeg

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am finally getting ready for Mangroves here with my 15.2 peninsula! Even at 3 months the tank is taking its time to find stability. I guess Mangroves wont mind high nitrates/phosphates seeing they are so good at removing organics. Maybe they will help the tank create some balance.

Here is my other tank running - over a year old fluval evo. Plan to move some corals over to the Waterbox eventually.

Very cool, looking forward to following along! Can you post a link to your build thread?

ED3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of my 10 gallon, UNS60 lagoon. I have 3 mangrove pods that are starting to root but have yet to show leaves. I'll be adding 2 more as soon as the weather gets nicer here (Boston, MA) and I'm not scared of the shipping. Let me try and give some insight to those asking how mangroves can die once introduced to a tank.The build for this tank can be found here.

When you add mangroves, you really should know where they are coming from so you're able to properly acclimate them to the salinity. By properly acclimate, I mean over the course of several weeks. I was lucky enough to purchase these three rooting pods from a supplier that grew them in water with the identical specific gravity I keep my tank at. Drip acclimating a tree will do nothing, you need to slowly increase or decrease the salinity of the water you're keeping them in until it matches that of the tank they'll be going in. You may think your mangroves are fine without doing this but the damage from being in hyper or hypotonic solutions may not show for up to two months in my personal experience.

Another fact people fail to realize is that mangroves are able to grow in saline conditions because they exude salt through their leaves (most species anyways). If you're going to maintain healthy mangroves be sure to spray down the leaves with RO water every once in a while!

For those asking about how to get roots like you see in mangrove groves there is a simple trick although it will take YEARS to work. Use some sort of float, I've used Styrofoam squares in past tanks, to support the pod so it is growing at the top of your tank in suspension and the roots will eventually grow down and, with time in patience, support the plant.

I hope this little bit of information helps anyone trying to keep mangroves! Stay tuned for my mangrove display coming with my new SPS tank upgrade later this year ;).
FTS 3.8.22 forums.jpg

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of my 10 gallon, UNS60 lagoon. I have 3 mangrove pods that are starting to root but have yet to show leaves. I'll be adding 2 more as soon as the weather gets nicer here (Boston, MA) and I'm not scared of the shipping. Let me try and give some insight to those asking how mangroves can die once introduced to a tank.The build for this tank can be found here.

When you add mangroves, you really should know where they are coming from so you're able to properly acclimate them to the salinity. By properly acclimate, I mean over the course of several weeks. I was lucky enough to purchase these three rooting pods from a supplier that grew them in water with the identical specific gravity I keep my tank at. Drip acclimating a tree will do nothing, you need to slowly increase or decrease the salinity of the water you're keeping them in until it matches that of the tank they'll be going in. You may think your mangroves are fine without doing this but the damage from being in hyper or hypotonic solutions may not show for up to two months in my personal experience.

Another fact people fail to realize is that mangroves are able to grow in saline conditions because they exude salt through their leaves (most species anyways). If you're going to maintain healthy mangroves be sure to spray down the leaves with RO water every once in a while!

For those asking about how to get roots like you see in mangrove groves there is a simple trick although it will take YEARS to work. Use some sort of float, I've used Styrofoam squares in past tanks, to support the pod so it is growing at the top of your tank in suspension and the roots will eventually grow down and, with time in patience, support the plant.

I hope this little bit of information helps anyone trying to keep mangroves! Stay tuned for my mangrove display coming with my new SPS tank upgrade later this year ;).
FTS 3.8.22 forums.jpg
Great info! Thank you very much. Have you found the AI Prime is sufficient alone? If you see my build above I added another light because I thought it may be needed. The one thing I am confused about what you said is the styrofoam squares. So you mean keep the pod (sapling) floating on the styrofoam and the roots will eventually get big enough to reach the rocks/sand? I think I may skip this step out of fear of the mangrove tipping, or it taking so long to root.

Very cool, looking forward to following along! Can you post a link to your build thread?
Thank you!!

My build threads:
Mangrove build - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/t...x-mangrove-tank-is-ready.897897/#post-9993180
Fluval build - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/1...exotic-invert-tank.822855/page-6#post-9782615

ED3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info! Thank you very much. Have you found the AI Prime is sufficient alone? If you see my build above I added another light because I thought it may be needed. The one thing I am confused about what you said is the styrofoam squares. So you mean keep the pod (sapling) floating on the styrofoam and the roots will eventually get big enough to reach the rocks/sand? I think I may skip this step out of fear of the mangrove tipping, or it taking so long to root.

Thank you!!

My build threads:
Mangrove build - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/t...x-mangrove-tank-is-ready.897897/#post-9993180
Fluval build - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/1...exotic-invert-tank.822855/page-6#post-9782615
These pods haven't sprouted leaves yet, once they do I have supplemental lighting to go next to the AI.

I have cut Styrofoam squares and bore holes to fit the pods securely in the center. They end up in a corner usually because of the flow but thats the best way to get long roots growing in a way you can control/tame in my personal experience

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back