toi_ss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I got some update on my mangroves. Apparently, my manual pollination trial was a success this spring. Cleaning up my mangroves this holiday Sunday, I find three seed pods on my Black mangrove. My Red mangrove also start to grow, sending additional leaves.

Now once the pods matures I will try to germinate and grow the pod to complete the cycle of fully captive grown Black Mangrove. New plant complete from seed grown Black mangrove.

Black mangroves seed pod and picture of almost the full plant

IMG_0384.jpeg IMG_0385.jpeg IMG_0386.jpeg

My Red mangrove
IMG_0387.jpeg
Hi, I know this is many months old but would planting them in a pot full of sand and topped with coral rubble work? Thinking to have the pot about an inch underwater. Not much information for planting avicennia mangroves and they are the only ones allowed in new zealand. Also could I start with an established plant or should I start with a seed- I know they are quite hard to acclimate but there are tonnes growing near my house in 34 ppt salinity and I could easily just grab one. Beautiful mangroves by the way!

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I know this is many months old but would planting them in a pot full of sand and topped with coral rubble work? Thinking to have the pot about an inch underwater. Not much information for planting avicennia mangroves and they are the only ones allowed in new zealand. Also could I start with an established plant or should I start with a seed- I know they are quite hard to acclimate but there are tonnes growing near my house in 34 ppt salinity and I could easily just grab one. Beautiful mangroves by the way!

You shouldn’t pull an established plant. In many places that’s both ecologically harmful as well as illegal. Start from collected seeds.

toi_ss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn’t pull an established plant. In many places that’s both ecologically harmful as well as illegal. Start from collected seeds.
It isn't in my country - every part of the shoreline is covered with them all along the north island - also the area is the same salinity

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, lost 3 of the black mangroves (Avicennia germinans). Turns out they were infested with spider mites...

Oriental mangroves (Bruguiera gymnorhiza) are doing pretty well, they started stretching for the light, so I added another light today.

And the sea grape tree (Coccoloba uvifera) finally arrived today! I got it potted and we'll see how it does!

20240422_181009.jpg
20240422_180955.jpg
20240422_180950.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back