The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quiz
On a bird wrasse where would you guess the jaw hinge is? On the end like a long snouted tang or foxface. Or farther back like a heron or dog? Aka is the facial protrusion a long snout or mouth?

IMG_4647.jpeg

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i bought 2 wrasses and they are coming in on thursday.

Can someone tell me how i should put them in my QT, i went by the chart and grabbed 2 species that are not in the same sub group, and tried to not get any of the (i will terminate the entire tank) ones.

I have coming:

1. Lubbok Fairy wrasse - which i hear is peaceful and will do its own thing.
2. Ruby Longfin fairy wrasse - which was on the other side of the lubbok in sub species. I think this is the one i need to becareful about?

I should introduce the lubbok first, and then the ruby next unless there is a drastic size difference?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can someone tell me how i should put them in my QT, i went by the chart and grabbed 2 species that are not in the same sub group, and tried to not get any of the (i will terminate the entire tank) ones.

I have coming:

2. Ruby Longfin fairy wrasse - which was on the other side of the lubbok in sub species. I think this is the one i need to becareful about?

I should introduce the lubbok first, and then the ruby next unless there is a drastic size difference?
Same time if you can but otherwise yes. Lubbock first yes

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quiz
On a bird wrasse where would you guess the jaw hinge is? On the end like a long snouted tang or foxface. Or farther back like a heron or dog? Aka is the facial protrusion a long snout or mouth?

IMG_4647.jpeg
Long snout. I don't think this one's related to a gulper eel in any way.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long snout. I don't think this one's related to a gulper eel in any way.
Wrong but I thought the same way till I saw it open its mouth today. It’s very much a long mouthed creature. Kind of funny looking with the mouth open

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrong but I thought the same way till I saw it open its mouth today. It’s very much a long mouthed creature. Kind of funny looking with the mouth open
And your next mission: camouflage yourself, sit very still with your camera and get a shot of your bird wrasse yawning. Take as long as it takes. Your supers will understand.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The supermale that we had as a display fish was not tolerant of any other fish in its tank. For example, it grabbed a volitan lion and smashed it against the corals in its tank. We used to feed it 2 to 3 inch goldfish and shiners which it would grab, smash them into little pieces then eat the pieces. I hope that yours is a lot more mellow than that beast.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The supermale that we had as a display fish was not tolerant of any other fish in its tank. For example, it grabbed a volitan lion and smashed it against the corals in its tank. We used to feed it 2 to 3 inch goldfish and shiners which it would grab, smash them into little pieces then eat the pieces. I hope that yours is a lot more mellow than that beast.
One of my first saltwater fish back in 2003 was a 6" bird wrasse. I remember bringing home some cleaner shrimp following the advice of my long since closed LFS, and watched in horror as the wrasse grabbed it mid-water, smashed it against the rocks, and consumed it before I could even get a net in the tank. Did the same thing to the much larger coral banded shrimp that it had lived peacefully with a few months later. Also devoured bristle worms, was always hunting for them.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have coming:

I'd quarantine both at least 30 days. Copper (I like cupramine, but everyone has their preference), 3 rounds of prazi at 7 day intervals, and 7 days of rally pro. I do all treatments concurrently. For really sensitive fish, like certain leopard wrasses, pipefish, seahorses, mandarins, or fish that stop eating in copper (but show no signs of velvet), I do 30 days of hypo at 1.009 instead of cupramine.

This is my 75 gallon quarantine, and it currently has 3 fairy wrasses (C. ryukyuensis, C. chaliasi, and C. filamentosus), along with a flasher (P. flavianalis), a possum (W. nigropinnata), and a leopard (M. ornatus). 2 of those fairies are the same subfamily. Lots of rock and PVC, other fish as dithers, and some sand for the sand sleepers, plenty of food, and 0 issues. Some of these like the leopard have been in cupramine for almost 90 days now (delayed in getting the display running, but finally painting that room) and have had zero issues.

20240317_134641.jpg
20240317_134649.jpg
20240317_134645.jpg
20240317_134644.jpg

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quiz

IMG_4647.jpeg
From what I remember it’s at the back right?

HSLSaltwater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh we could add quite a few. I had 10 in an 80G gallon, just depends on the species and adult size.

Gather a list of the ones you like, and we can discuss the list, with what will work, and what won't.
Coris Aygula
Halichoeres Ornatissimus
Macropharyngodon bipartitus
Thalassoma trilobatum
Paracheilinus Carpenterii

Are wrasses I have been looking at. The only one I don’t want to change out is the leopard one.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coris Aygula
Halichoeres Ornatissimus
Thalassoma trilobatum

Are wrasses I have been looking at. The only one I don’t want to change out is the leopard one.
While I differ to the experts, I see no problem with that list.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coris Aygula
Halichoeres Ornatissimus
Thalassoma trilobatum

You realize Coris aygula is a 3ft fish?
Also all Thalassoma are very aggressive and will kill any fish and inverts significantly smaller then it.

Stick with
Anampses
Cirrhilabrus
Halichoeres
Labroides (CB or last)
Macropharyngodon
Paracheilinus
Wetmorella

And the individual species
Pseudohilinops attaenia
Xenojulis margaritaceous

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coris Aygula
Halichoeres Ornatissimus
Thalassoma trilobatum

Make sure to look at what a Coris aygula looks like and its size when it grows up. Cute as a juvenile. Monstrous as an adult (and apparently quite aggressive).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back