The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, appreciate it. I don't have any wrasses yet but plan on rectifying that. If I have finer sand just in the middle of my tank, would that be good enough if I did get wrasses that bury themselves down the road, or does the entire substrate need to be sand?

they'll find it, but if it spreads out and gets super thin that might be bad.

it doesn't have to be oolite sand, something in the 2 mm range should be fine. i have fiji pink. not sure on the middle range options, but i wouldn't try to use crushed coral or something like that

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/all-about-reef-safe-wrasses-in-aquaria.259894/

that's a great general read on wrasses

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love me some wrasse's, so I want to see everyone's wrasse pictures! Please share!

I've been practicing my fish taking.. Snapped a decent one of my Naoko Wrasse, still need to polish up on my skills though!
IMG_9457_zps94017eaa.jpg

IMG_9469_zps9e608ad0.jpg

Edit:

Forgot my earmuff! Colors since this picture have really improved!
IMG_9303_zpsfd974b69.jpg
I meet your two wrasses and raise two
NaokoFairy2019092401watermarked.jpg
BlackLeopardWrasse2019070910Male.jpg
ChinaWrasse2019112401.jpg
EightlineFlasher2019061301.jpg

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at getting a bluehead fairy wrasse and I've read both that they DO need a sandbed and DON'T need a sandbed to sleep at night. I have a mostly crushed coral with finer sand in the middle of my 125G.

Which is correct?
Here's just one danger of common names:
"Bluehead fairy wrasse" probably means Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura in the US. A reasonable reef-safe option that does not need sand, as Cirrhilabrus do not bury.
"Bluehead wrasse" probably means Thalassoma bifasciatum in the US. A terror of a species not well suited for a reef tank, and does need sand, as Thalassoma do bury.

You're probably seeing conflicting information as you're not reading about the same species in all places.

mrbluewildcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's just one danger of common names:
"Bluehead fairy wrasse" probably means Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura in the US. A reasonable reef-safe option that does not need sand, as Cirrhilabrus do not bury.
"Bluehead wrasse" probably means Thalassoma bifasciatum in the US. A terror of a species not well suited for a reef tank, and does need sand, as Thalassoma do bury.

You're probably seeing conflicting information as you're not reading about the same species in all places.

Thanks for the info, I went ahead and ordered a Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura. It may very well have been Thalassoma bifasciatum that I was reading about as I don't recall the articles mentioning burying in sand using the scientific name. This will be my first wrasse, will arrive today.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i could be wrong, but i swear i saw a post recently by @evolved saying he has kept rhomboid and lineatus together numerous times without issue
I don’t know but there in the same Rubrimarginatus complex so I would assume there may be at least abit if trouble... but I’ve got a few wrasse in the same complexes without WW3

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on how aggressive the wrasses are and how big of the tank they are in plus how many other wrasses distracted them. In my 320 with a lots of wrasses I have two male Lubbocki and two male Isosceles. The Lubbocki does fight with each other but not to the point of injury. These are full Terminal coloration, together since youth, 2 years, and full grown. The two Isosceles are young changing males. So far no fighting. I would not call my Isosceles full male coloration.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on how aggressive the wrasses are and how big of the tank they are in plus how many other wrasses distracted them. In my 320 with a lots of wrasses I have two male Lubbocki and two male Isosceles. The Lubbocki does fight with each other but not to the point of injury. These are full Terminal coloration, together since youth, 2 years, and full grown. The two Isosceles are young changing males. So far no fighting. I would not call my Isosceles full male coloration.
What are the dimensions of your tank?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i could be wrong, but i swear i saw a post recently by @evolved saying he has kept rhomboid and lineatus together numerous times without issue
Right, I do and I have. I feel it takes at least a 150g tank, and 200 and up I wouldn't hesitate at all.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this isn’t the place but with wrasse freaks it maybe my best chance
Got a Linatus laying in sand. He didn’t eat for a week and now eats but looks like he injured himself. It’s been 3 1/2 weeks. Any help or direction would be appreciated.
He is camera shy and I don’t want to make him stressed so video is poor

mrbluewildcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura in today, aabsolutely love him. Looking at more wrasses down the road and going by that compatibility chart, Cirrhilabrus bathyphilus looks like a great match, and while Cirrhilabrus exquisitus is in the most peaceful complex, it's very close to Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura. Will these three be fine together in a 125G?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 44.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back