The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

daftwazzock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a red fairy wrasse from whitecorals.com which is usually an excellent retailer but they made a big mistake and put the fish in a tiny bag.

Last time I got a fish from them it was in an oversized bag and comfortable, this wrasse was in a tiny bag that barely fit it and curled up. I should have taken a photo for proof but was panicking a bit so once I temp acclimated i put it in right away to get it out of that stress.

It's still alive but hiding and hasn't moved much or eaten. Pretty worried.

20200219_122359.jpg

I just saw the fairy eat! I really over feed to make sure everything gets something and saw it dart out of the rockwork and gobble up some clam that was floating past! Really pleased, looks like its gonna make it!

20200221_164423.jpg

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have a closer look at some point but what would be the first signs that a female is going to transition to male?
You're already seeing it; it's just a matter of time.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing great but darken up a bit since I got them on 2/14/2020
The species always does. Some claim it's UV, but I fully believe it's simply bright lighting. It happens in all reef tanks, regardless of the lighting used (even LED w/ nothing near UV present).

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond Tail Flasher is one species that I doubt that I can keep more than 1 in a tank. Right now both are in my QT system but the larger will go into my friend's tank in a few weeks, and the smaller one (only 1 inch) will stay in QT until she is a bit bigger. I really don't want to spend 200.00 for a Harlequin Tusk dinner.

mrbluewildcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125G mixed reef tank without a wrasse currently. I'm planning on ordering a female macropharyngodon meleagris and can also get a paracheilinus carpenteri or cirrhilabrus rubripinnis as well. I have a 2-3" sandbed and no aggressive fish other than a very small, 1.5" flame angel that has yet to bother anyone at all. Can I get some opinions on which to get and why? Haven't had a wrasse yet and have been looking to add some for quite a while.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125G mixed reef tank without a wrasse currently. I'm planning on ordering a female macropharyngodon meleagris and can also get a paracheilinus carpenteri or cirrhilabrus rubripinnis as well. I have a 2-3" sandbed and no aggressive fish other than a very small, 1.5" flame angel that has yet to bother anyone at all. Can I get some opinions on which to get and why? Haven't had a wrasse yet and have been looking to add some for quite a while.

Compatibility wise any or all of those three would be fine. It just depends on which appeals to you the most. In my view the pluses/minuses of each are:

M. meleagris....a little more difficult to get eating/keep but still very hardy once acclimated. Eats lots of pods, would probably preclude ever getting a mandarin or similar pod dependent fish.

P. carpenteri......smaller fish than the other two. Probably needs another male flasher wrasse to get it's best color displays. Easy, peaceful and great community fish.

C. rubrupinnis.....a little higher on the aggressiveness scale than a lot of other fairy wrasses. Only a problem if you ever want to add other fairies (which I highly recommend :D )

mrbluewildcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Compatibility wise any or all of those three would be fine. It just depends on which appeals to you the most. In my view the pluses/minuses of each are:

M. meleagris....a little more difficult to get eating/keep but still very hardy once acclimated. Eats lots of pods, would probably preclude ever getting a mandarin or similar pod dependent fish.

P. carpenteri......smaller fish than the other two. Probably needs another male flasher wrasse to get it's best color displays. Easy, peaceful and great community fish.

C. rubrupinnis.....a little higher on the aggressiveness scale than a lot of other fairy wrasses. Only a problem if you ever want to add other fairies (which I highly recommend :D )

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of input I was looking for. So two male P. carpenteri would be fine together? If i went this route, what about females and how many? What about p. mccoskeri with them? I've been looking at the wrasse compatibility chart that's out there, but I don't see paracheilinus listed.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So two male P. carpenteri would be fine together? If i went this route, what about females and how many?
No; don't do that:
What about p. mccoskeri with them?
Mixing species is okay - but only one specimen of each species.
I've been looking at the wrasse compatibility chart that's out there, but I don't see paracheilinus listed.
That's specifically only for Cirrhilabrus. Start with this article:

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, that's exactly the kind of input I was looking for. So two male P. carpenteri would be fine together? If i went this route, what about females and how many? What about p. mccoskeri with them? I've been looking at the wrasse compatibility chart that's out there, but I don't see paracheilinus listed.

No, no, no, no! :D

Only one of any particular species of flasher or fairy. They will all eventually transition to males. They do not pair like some species of fish do.

Other flashers that might interest you...P. attenuatus, P. flavianalis, P. angulatus, P. rubricaudalis, P. lineopunctatus. I have 4 flashers in my tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back