TheWB’s IM Lagoon 50

roosterreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TheWB spent last couple days reading this whole thread, which has been fun and interesting not only for your journey but also because you are an engaging writer. So thanks!

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TheWB spent last couple days reading this whole thread, which has been fun and interesting not only for your journey but also because you are an engaging writer. So thanks!
Welcome, Thanks for stopping in and checking out my build thread. I appreciate the compliment about the writing, I’m glad you were entertained.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did my weekly testing this morning and I’m not sure about the Red Sea Calcium Pro kit yet. Last week Calcium was 490 and Alk on the Hanna Checker was 9.1. I have not added or changed anything in the last week. Today Alk is still at 9.1 but Calcium is at 370. So it’s either operator error ( highly possible ) or this test kit is wildly inaccurate. Guess I’ll need to do a few more tests to figure that out. Calcium was at 434 on my 7/29 ICP test which is probably more in line with what it actually is. I’ve seen a little more coralline growth lately but I don’t think it’s enough to cause a 120 point swing in the test in one week with no change in Alk.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did my weekly testing this morning and I’m not sure about the Red Sea Calcium Pro kit yet. Last week Calcium was 490 and Alk on the Hanna Checker was 9.1. I have not added or changed anything in the last week. Today Alk is still at 9.1 but Calcium is at 370. So it’s either operator error ( highly possible ) or this test kit is wildly inaccurate. Guess I’ll need to do a few more tests to figure that out. Calcium was at 434 on my 7/29 ICP test which is probably more in line with what it actually is. I’ve seen a little more coralline growth lately but I don’t think it’s enough to cause a 120 point swing in the test in one week with no change in Alk.

The Red Sea Calcium and Red Sea Magnesium are two tests I hate doing. The whole drip - swirl - drip - swirl - did it change color yet? is that it? should I do another drop? Makes me nuts. These are two tests where the Smart Stir really helped. With the Smart Stir constantly mixing while I drip the reagents the color change seems almost instant and obvious. I still avoid both tests whenever I can.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea Calcium and Red Sea Magnesium are two tests I hate doing. The whole drip - swirl - drip - swirl - did it change color yet? is that it? should I do another drop? Makes me nuts. These are two tests where the Smart Stir really helped. With the Smart Stir constantly mixing while I drip the reagents the color change seems almost instant and obvious. I still avoid both tests whenever I can.
Yes, the drip swirl drip swirl is not ideal. The other thing I’ve found I don’t like is that the syringe doesn’t fill to the 1ml line due to the tip. This seems like a poor design, mine only fills to about .8 and that makes it very tough to tell where the endpoint actually is. There were things I don’t like about the Hanna Calcium checker too so maybe I just don’t like Calcium tests. I‘ll do the Red Sea a few more times and hopefully I’ll get the hang of it.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the drip swirl drip swirl is not ideal. The other thing I’ve found I don’t like is that the syringe doesn’t fill to the 1ml line due to the tip. This seems like a poor design, mine only fills to about .8 and that makes it very tough to tell where the endpoint actually is. There were things I don’t like about the Hanna Calcium checker too so maybe I just don’t like Calcium tests. I‘ll do the Red Sea a few more times and hopefully I’ll get the hang of it.

With tests like this one I usually turn to YouTube and let them waste reagents instead lol. Red Sea actually addresses the air gap issue in the comments on their video. I admit, I just learned something watching it myself. It bothered me that it turned blue then drifted back purple right away. He says to keep adding drops until it's stable for 10 seconds. Might explain some of my inconsistencies!

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With tests like this one I usually turn to YouTube and let them waste reagents instead lol. Red Sea actually addresses the air gap issue in the comments on their video. I admit, I just learned something watching it myself. It bothered me that it turned blue then drifted back purple right away. He says to keep adding drops until it's stable for 10 seconds. Might explain some of my inconsistencies!
Thanks for the link. I was able to look at the blown up diagram of the syringe that was linked in the video comments and it’s amazing what you can learn when you can actually see the print and diagram. The print is so incredibly small in the paperwork that comes with the test kit. I was trying to calculate from the actual levels of the liquid. Totally did not understand what I was doing there. I’m sure my next try will go much better.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’ve got the procedure for the Red Sea Calcium Pro test kit figured out. Tested at 450 today which is roughly where it should be per the specs of my salt mix, maybe a little higher. My Alk also tests higher than the salts specs ( 9.4 today, 9.1 last week before water change, supposed to be 8 ) and always has. I don’t supplement with two part so the parameters shouldn’t be high unless the salt mixes higher than the listed specs. I mixed up a 4.5 gallon batch for a water change last night but I ended up not needing to do one. I think I’m going to test Cal and Alk in the mixing container and see how that comes out.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks as good as torch i know about! And if not lots of $$$, total score with the demand for torches right now :)
It was a whopping $63.00 if I’m remembering correctly. It‘s actually the most expensive coral I’ve ever purchased. Hidden Treasures doesn’t have the biggest selection in the world but the prices are usually very reasonable. It would not surprise me to see that torch for $200 somewhere but that would be pretty ridiculous for one small head.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perused the entire thread--i feel i need a current full tank photo now! :)
Thanks for checking it all out, this thread is not short lol. It’s too late tonight but I’ll have one for you tomorrow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As promised, fresh FTS. Scuse the algae build up on the glass.
893A0179-028E-4572-8862-2B85AFA2B4AB.jpeg

and for fun one from the side.
E4F199F5-AA01-448D-B569-267A819F378E.jpeg

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful--love the anemone, fish selection, and the healthy coralline algae growth! !! How do you like the wavelink powerheads?
Thank’s, the anemone is one of my favorite inhabitants. It’s one of the many, many, many splits available from Saltwater City in Bellevue. That’s where 6 of my 8 fish came from as well. I have always had good luck with livestock from there.
l’m happy enough with the Wavelinks. I have one of each size. Flow in this tank is a little challenging because of the way it’s scaped and because it’s a lot of LPS that I don’t want to blow away. I’m pretty happy with it right now though. I do wish the wavelinks could be programmed for different settings throughout the day/night but that’s a little much to expect at the price point.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could see a green slimer acro coming off the back wall on magnet mount (or just glue to acrylic) next to gorgonian! Train it to grow out towards the front glass
I have thought about getting that very coral but here’s what’s stopped me. I couldn‘t keep a birdsnest frag alive in this tank. I just don’t run the lights high enough or the wavemakers powerful enough. It’s just withered and died. Now since then I’ve upgraded to two lights instead of just one ( two Reefi Uno’s in place of one Radion XR15 Gen 4 ) so I’ve got the lighting if I wanted to turn it up but I’m afraid I’d cook all my LPS and I’d need a lot more flow too. It just seems like I’d kill it. What do you think? I know the green slimer is pretty resilient but is it that resilient? Barrier Reef sometimes has them for like $15 if they are having their anniversary sale so it’s not much of an investment. I just don’t want to kill it.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thought about getting that very coral but here’s what’s stopped me. I couldn‘t keep a birdsnest frag alive in this tank. I just don’t run the lights high enough or the wavemakers powerful enough. It’s just withered and died. Now since then I’ve upgraded to two lights instead of just one ( two Reefi Uno’s in place of one Radion XR15 Gen 4 ) so I’ve got the lighting if I wanted to turn it up but I’m afraid I’d cook all my LPS and I’d need a lot more flow too. It just seems like I’d kill it. What do you think? I know the green slimer is pretty resilient but is it that resilient? Barrier Reef sometimes has them for like $15 if they are having their anniversary sale so it’s not much of an investment. I just don’t want to kill it.

I'd try one. I like the way they branch--lots of space between branches so minimal shading--and that tang would probably sleep it eventually. A couple of mine sleep in the slimer in the back of my 50 gallon.

For $15 you can't go wrong. Some corals just don't do well in some tanks, just the way it is and we don't have all the answers i think. I've had corals like that before. If your alk stays relatively stable (and judging by your coralline grow it is...) then green slimer would grow in your tank IMO. Stable alk and its fine IMO.

If it slimes up when first added, just make sure to turkey baste off the slim frequently until it stops... After that sliming period, i don't think it mandates a ton of flow especially frags. It doesn't need a lot of par IMO, whatever your LPS are getting is fine. I would say 75 to 100 would be fine at the low end, and with those lights closer to the top of the tank--the par has to be that much or your anemone would be having problems....

I have a par meter if you want to borrow it to get dialed in.

An even easier one to try is green or orange digitata but the growth isn't as branchy.

Just an idea, LOVE the tank :) totally understand taking it slow and methodical!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back