Thinking of jumping ship

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
jlts21

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no problem. I just didn’t understand the reference, as to my understanding they both are limited to outlets on/off, 0-10v based control, and optional modules to communicate with Ecotech products. I couldn’t think of one product that fit your description of “use Neptune products or you can’t control them”, as it compares to GHL being able control them instead.

But yeah, reagent accessibility during Covid has been difficult.
Right I guess I should’ve been a little clearer on that and not word it like I did. I completely understand the covid issue, but I was having a hard time finding reagents before that

OP
OP
jlts21

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooof :oops: Looking at roughly $3,200 in case anybody was curious on a full setup similar to what I need

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooof :oops: Looking at roughly $3,200 in case anybody was curious on a full setup similar to what I need
GHL isn't cheap, here's my list, includes the ION director that I prepaid for. I wouldn't even want to add it all up.

My equipment:
Profilux 4
6 plug powerbars X3
KH Director
Ion Director
2.1 Dosers X3
Maxi Dosers X2
Leak sensor controller
Leak sensors X6
9000 flow sensors X2
PLM-Sensor expansion card.
Optical sensors X3
Float Sensor
Sensor holder X2
Breeze 4 head Fan
Breeze controller
KH Director reagents X6
Ion Director agents X4 (not available yet but ordered)

I don't include PAB cables because I use regular Ethernet / LAN cables that I already own a bunch of and work fine.

Items I bought but don't use:
Vortech interface (I use the Ecotech software to control them instead.)
PLM-ADIN card (had a plan then the plan changed)
PLM-PH-Redox card (was going to use it for a Calcium reactor but went a different route)
2nd PH Sensor (was going to use it for a Calcium reactor but went a different route)
S port - L port box (in case I need it for a future pump or to interface with something)

Things I still want to get:
Expansion box
PLM-Temp card
Temp sensor
PLM- Conductivity card
Conductivity sensor

Might get:
Touch control pad
Touch control pad Mount
(these for when Ipad or Iphone can't connect, which has happened)

Things I bought because of using GHL:
Used Laptop PC to run GCC on

Last edited:

Tjm23slo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Vinny@GHLUSA!
Well let’s see here is all the Neptune stuff that I have and what the programming is:

Neptune Trident (minimum testing: 4 alk, 2 cal, 2 mag)

*EDIT* I am totally fine with ditching Neptune all together and going with Vortech powerheads and tunze ATO. When I make the switch, I will sell everything I have that's Neptune.

I'm happy to help fund your cut over with a purchase of the Trident.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no problem. I just didn’t understand the reference, as to my understanding they both are limited to outlets on/off, 0-10v based control, and optional modules to communicate with Ecotech products. I couldn’t think of one product that fit your description of “use Neptune products or you can’t control them”, as it compares to GHL being able control them instead.

But yeah, reagent accessibility during Covid has been difficult.

I think he's referring to Neptunes tendency to make products that will only run on there Apex and not on there own or in conjunction with another controller, Trident and the COR-15 come to mind. Also they do not make there new products backwards compatible. Whereas every product GHL makes can run on there own or be controlled by older models of there Profilux.

U

User1

View Badges
No not from GHL but TO GHL. I have Neptune Apex and all the fixings ( all 4 probes, 2 WAVS, auto top off, DOS for water changes, and Trident) along with all the other equipment that I have that’s controlled by Apex (2 heaters, pellet reactor, skimmer, return pump and CalRx reactor in the near future) With the whole trident reagent issue that I’m sure everyone is well aware of, I’m thinking of ditching Neptune and going with GHL. I know it’s just an issue of people testing more often than what was originally thought but I’m tired of having to search and search for a 6 month reagent kit only to have to buy the 2 month at a higher cost per test. Apex coding is a real PITA and I’m also not a fan of having to use Neptune EVERYTHING if you run their controller.

So my question is what all do I need to switch over to GHL? Or where can I find a decent write up because I have no issue with doing my own searching and reading, I just haven’t had any luck finding what I’m looking for. I’m having a hard time navigating GHL’s website since I don’t have a computer

Search for @Ditto - I believe he has a guide or thread on it. I seem to believe everyone says it is one of the better sources.

If you want to switch I would say do it. However, don't blame the reagents. The current pandemic isn't helping any, for any (even GHL rolled back their release date of their automated tester) but most of us Trident users can find reagents. Also I think you may have cost per test off.

In any case best of luck.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up the Profilux system to run parallel to the Apex until you feel comfortable with it's operation and programming. Then switch it over. I did this for a month or so before I took the Apex off line.
Do this. I ran my P4e in parallel with my frag system first for quite a while before I did the swap, same with my DT. I'm not 100% replicating functionality that I did with my Apex, but I've learned for some things it's better to give up the 'all in one boat' control, like for my power heads.

I do find PL gates get very confusing, and I do miss simplicity in some things like a simple "if outlet on then" statement to drive an event, but over-all I do not regret the switch. And my switch was a very entrenched Neptune install, 2016, 4 dos, 3 bars, pm1, vdm, etc.

OP
OP
jlts21

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHL isn't cheap, here's my list, includes the ION director that I prepaid for. I wouldn't even want to add it all up.

My equipment:
Profilux 4
6 plug powerbars X3
KH Director
Ion Director
2.1 Dosers X3
Maxi Dosers X2
Leak sensor controller
Leak sensors X6
9000 flow sensors X2
PLM-Sensor expansion card.
Optical sensors X3
Float Sensor
Sensor holder X2
Breeze 4 head Fan
Breeze controller
KH Director reagents X6
Ion Director agents X4 (not available yet but ordered)

I don't include PAB cables because I use regular Ethernet / LAN cables that I already own a bunch of and work fine.

Items I bought but don't use:
Vortech interface (I use the Ecotech software to control them instead.)
PLM-ADIN card (had a plan then the plan changed)
PLM-PH-Redox card (was going to use it for a Calcium reactor but went a different route)
2nd PH Sensor (was going to use it for a Calcium reactor but went a different route)
S port - L port box (in case I need it for a future pump or to interface with something)

Things I still want to get:
Expansion box
PLM-Temp card
Temp sensor
PLM- Conductivity card
Conductivity sensor

Might get:
Touch control pad
Touch control pad Mount
(these for when Ipad or Iphone can't connect, which has happened)

Things I bought because of using GHL:
Used Laptop PC to run GCC on
Holy cow! Yeah I would not want to add that up either. You’re setup is quite a bit more than what mine will be
I'm happy to help fund your cut over with a purchase of the Trident.
The Trident is currently for sale, however I have not made a FS post yet.
I think he's referring to Neptunes tendency to make products that will only run on there Apex and not on there own or in conjunction with another controller, Trident and the COR-15 come to mind. Also they do not make there new products backwards compatible. Whereas every product GHL makes can run on there own or be controlled by older models of there Profilux.
That is exactly what I mean *th
Search for @Ditto - I believe he has a guide or thread on it. I seem to believe everyone says it is one of the better sources.

If you want to switch I would say do it. However, don't blame the reagents. The current pandemic isn't helping any, for any (even GHL rolled back their release date of their automated tester) but most of us Trident users can find reagents. Also I think you may have cost per test off.

In any case best of luck.
yeah it is a great guide. I’ve only just started getting into it, but it is great so far. I’m not switching only because of the reagent issue (it is one of the reasons, but I was having problems find reagents even before the pandemic). What some people are having a hard time understanding is that when someone says “I can’t find reagents,” they aren’t talking about the 2 month, they’re talking about the 6 month. I could find 2 month anytime. The increased cost I was talking about is I bought 3 sets of 2 months at $45/ each ($135) every 2 months when I could’ve bought a 6 month for $100.
Do this. I ran my P4e in parallel with my frag system first for quite a while before I did the swap, same with my DT. I'm not 100% replicating functionality that I did with my Apex, but I've learned for some things it's better to give up the 'all in one boat' control, like for my power heads.

I do find PL gates get very confusing, and I do miss simplicity in some things like a simple "if outlet on then" statement to drive an event, but over-all I do not regret the switch. And my switch was a very entrenched Neptune install, 2016, 4 dos, 3 bars, pm1, vdm, etc.
Your setup was quite a bit more involved than mine is. I know there will be a learning curve to the programming and everything, but it’s just overwhelming doing the research (like it was when I was researching and setting up the Apex and Neptune products). Once my Trident sells, I’m taking that money to put towards the GHL mega set to get familiar with it before switching everything over. It’ll be awhile because I will have to save up to get the ION and KH directors and get new powerheads (whether I run em using the ProfiLux or not). But I will need the ProfiLux, an ATO and some type of doser for AWC

HuneyBear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have said it before. There is a bit of a learning curve with GHL. It can sometimes be a little harder for people coming from apex because they have apex programming in their brain I think. Have some patience starting out. It will take time but it is more than worth it. I’ve had nothing but rock solid performance. The issues I’ve had have been with my laptop. I’ve since figured it out. I have a good amount of Ghl equipment as well, Profilux, Doser, Sa KHD, expansion box, S-port L-port box, Sa IonD preordered. I wouldn’t be this deep into the system if I didn’t believe in it. I don’t have to check on it repeatedly through the day.
If you are a big 0-10v user there are ways to have apex compatible 0-10v equipment work with the Profilux.
An S-Port L-Port box is One way.
I Made my own converter to go from ghl to apex.

monti mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone think the vortech controller is worth it when they’ll eventually be Mobius enabled? New to GHL here too (mine arrives Monday! Can’t wait!)

HuneyBear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone think the vortech controller is worth it when they’ll eventually be Mobius enabled? New to GHL here too (mine arrives Monday! Can’t wait!)

Until they make them so they only work with mobius you will either need the Vortech controller or a Hydros Wave engine to be able to work with Vortechs with GHL. I don’t have the Vortech controller to say. I have a wave engine but don’t use vortechs though. :rolleyes:

monti mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until they make them so they only work with mobius you will either need the Vortech controller or a Hydros Wave engine to be able to work with Vortechs with GHL. I don’t have the Vortech controller to say. I have a wave engine but don’t use vortechs though. :rolleyes:
I’m watching videos now and trying to learn the programming. It’s a little overwhelming but I’m sure I’ll get it. I know what I want to accomplish so that’s the first hurdle, right? :D Shout of to @Ditto and @Vinny@GHLUSA for making it seem doable for someone who’s never used a controller before!

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waste of money IMHO. I presently have reeflink and run 4 MP40s with it. I bought the GHL controller thinking I would use it. But it would be a bigger hassle to switch. So I stayed with GHL. For feedings and mainenance I do shut off the MP40s on a GHL switch. With Mobius comming to the vortechs you won't need reeflink.

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waste of money IMHO. I presently have reeflink and run 4 MP40s with it. I bought the GHL controller thinking I would use it. But it would be a bigger hassle to switch. So I stayed with GHL. For feedings and mainenance I do shut off the MP40s on a GHL switch. With Mobius comming to the vortechs you won't need reeflink.
On the other side, if someone doesn't currently have a Reeflink, and only used an Apex to control say 4 MP40's, the the Vortech controller for the P4 might be worth it. I know Ecotech is coming out with the Mobius to control the Vortechs, but how much will it be per pump to upgrade the ones we already have? Plus even with Mobius you won't be able to control them with a P4.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 94 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back