OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And say hi to the man... After all, he helped watch your tank.
Actually brought the man along this time. Tank ran without any supervision. Thank God nothing happened.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You used mollies before? how did they work?
Old post, but... I still have 1 molly. She doesn't do much covering on algae at all. She does the work of, well every snail and asterina cleans more algae in an hour than she does in a week.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So probably not recommended then.
They can add a cool splash of color to the tank sometimes. Better suited for brackish usually though from my understanding unless you get one already fully acclimated to salt. Mine didn't last long when I tried acclimating them. It took me several weeks adding a tablespoon or so of salt a day to a 20 gallon. Got it up to 1.016 and they started slowly withering away. Dropped it back down some and they started getting healthier. I wonder if wild caught would work better than tank raised 10000000th generation.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They can add a cool splash of color to the tank sometimes. Better suited for brackish usually though from my understanding unless you get one already fully acclimated to salt. Mine didn't last long when I tried acclimating them. It took me several weeks adding a tablespoon or so of salt a day to a 20 gallon. Got it up to 1.016 and they started slowly withering away. Dropped it back down some and they started getting healthier. I wonder if wild caught would work better than tank raised 10000000th generation.
I think the smaller the better the chance. The molly I have now, she was a fry when I got her. Eli ate all of her brothers and sisters, she's a lone survivor. The pineapple mollies were medium sized and were not doing well with 1.021. They would lay at the bottom slowly breathing. I assume it caused Eli to over eat, they were all gone by morning.

So anyhow, acclimated all mollies via drip line for a few hours keeping.
I had about 4 to 6 fry of dalmation mollies, they survived for a week or so before they got found and eaten.
The last molly I had was in there for a few extra weeks before I took her out and put her into the display. So she was sitting in 1.020 for a few weeks, last week of quarantine I rose that slowly to 1.026 to add Eli to the display. I spent 2

And yes, mollies do add a lot of color for a cheap price. If you can get them acclimated to sw. But as said above, if you can get the mollies raised in sw, you're better off.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the smaller the better the chance. The molly I have now, she was a fry when I got her. Eli ate all of her brothers and sisters, she's a lone survivor. The pineapple mollies were medium sized and were not doing well with 1.021. They would lay at the bottom slowly breathing. I assume it caused Eli to over eat, they were all gone by morning.

So anyhow, acclimated all mollies via drip line for a few hours keeping.
I had about 4 to 6 fry of dalmation mollies, they survived for a week or so before they got found and eaten.
The last molly I had was in there for a few extra weeks before I took her out and put her into the display. So she was sitting in 1.020 for a few weeks, last week of quarantine I rose that slowly to 1.026 to add Eli to the display. I spent 2

And yes, mollies do add a lot of color for a cheap price. If you can get them acclimated to sw. But as said above, if you can get the mollies raised in sw, you're better off.
My lfs will sometimes have dalmatian mollies in the salt section, $15 is too much for a molly though. I e heard black acclimate better. I tried to quickly acclimate some a while back and if the salt didn't kill one, the dottyback did. That was in the 15. Ten dottyback needs a new home soon. The 40 lost both to the salt.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My lfs will sometimes have dalmatian mollies in the salt section, $15 is too much for a molly though. I e heard black acclimate better. I tried to quickly acclimate some a while back and if the salt didn't kill one, the dottyback did. That was in the 15. Ten dottyback needs a new home soon. The 40 lost both to the salt.
I heard the drab colored ones usually do better in salt/brackish tanks too. Dalmatians and Blacks are the ones I usually hear success stories with but I have seen pictures of the Red Swordtail mollies and even some of the Lyretail Creamsicles.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I heard the drab colored ones usually do better in salt/brackish tanks too. Dalmatians and Blacks are the ones I usually hear success stories with but I have seen pictures of the Red Swordtail mollies and even some of the Lyretail Creamsicles.
There might be some facts to that.
5 dollars alone is expensive, Eli was eating 15 - 25 per week work. So glad she eats the mush the other fish eat now.

I wanted to make a sw tank for mollies, but after learning it's best to do that in brackish water, I couldn't wrap my mind around what I would do to it.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should see how the tank does with it's current stock, but they might make a future list.
5 dollars alone is expensive, Eli was eating 15 - 25 per week work. So glad she eats the mush the other fish eat now.

I wanted to make a sw tank for mollies, but after learning it's best to do that in brackish water, I couldn't wrap my mind around what I would do to it.
That's so many! They probably don't need to survive too long if they are food, so brackish is probably more than ok. And if they breed in brackish, all the better.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
They "should" breed in brackish but I don't think they'll breed in full salt.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sick as a dog. Caught covid again on the cruise. Be back in a few. Sleeping.....
Sorry to hear that! It sucks coming home from Vacation just to be sick and not have a chance to catch your breath. Get better soon! I'm sick right now too! Been down for about a week at this point but it's not COVID.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OK finally feeling better then dead. Tomorrow's plans are tanks, groceries (ewe the public), leaves and nascar. Plus I have a neat little update..... stay tuned.
I'll be waiting. I got my updates too.. if i survive the next few days.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quickie update. Tested and everything is within my acceptable range. Will post actual #'s tomorrow. Good news gha is 95% gone. Bad news cyano has started up. It's there during the day, gone at night. Will formulate plan tonight after a nap. May need more bacteria and pods.
Now for the surprise... may I introduce my new sw mollies. They have survived the week so I feel comfortable sharing. They were bred in salt so chances are good they will make it.
20221106_125935.jpg

There are five. So I have dubbed them the Voltron Force.
Screenshot_20221106-130637_Google.jpg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back