This is your biggest problem....

Do you have a “big” problems or issues keeping a reef tank?

• Yes and I’ll tell you what it is....

Votes: 49 11.2%
  • Nope no big issues...

Votes: 110 25.2%
  • Nothing big just small things...

Votes: 277 63.5%

• Total voters

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting my son (8) to put down his video game feed the fish (its his only daily chore)!

I have to remind my husband to feed them most days. As a mother of 2, I’ve come to learn that husbands and children have a lot more in common than I realized lol. I’d feed them myself but I’m somehow allergic to almost everything they eat.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
tumblr_nyj3jlKN4w1ugkepvo1_500.jpg

Mattman1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**** Dinoflagellates!!!! Been fighting it for over a year. Took that tank down and moved the coral to my qt tank after a dip in coral rx and a week later dino started in my qt tank. I just received my bottle of dinox guess I’ll try that and if that doesn’t help i don’t know what I’ll do. I’ve read the thread on here about dino. Didn’t lots of different things but kept coming back

Matt

Benoit Martin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beginner here so not much experience to go by but so far it's been the stress of getting new fish. The complicated and risky QT process and having to deal with my son's disappointment when a fish doesn't make it.
It would be such a better hobby if we could safely go to a LFS, pick a fish, acclimate it and drop it in.

AndrewB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need more space. More money would be nice.

But for real, I think I'm going to run into 2 problems relatively soon. I have a few aggressive and some not so much species of corals that are eventually going to find each other. Not to mention the occasional split from a bta that wanders around.

Then... it's going to be a build up of detritus. Or maybe I've made that one up. I do my water changes but I have visions of stuff collecting under rocks and in crevices I can't get to.

FishyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a big problem. I'm too darn short! At 4'10" it's really hard to reach the bottom of the tank to adjust coral or rocks, I have to shove my whole arm in up to the shoulder and my tank is only 28g! Even worse, I haven't been able to find any gloves that fit and I try to avoid sticking my bare arm in there. If anyone knows where I can find a pair of full coverage gloves in toddler sizes please let me know! :D

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a big problem. I'm too darn short! At 4'10" it's really hard to reach the bottom of the tank to adjust coral or rocks, I have to shove my whole arm in up to the shoulder and my tank is only 28g! Even worse, I haven't been able to find any gloves that fit and I try to avoid sticking my bare arm in there. If anyone knows where I can find a pair of full coverage gloves in toddler sizes please let me know! :D
Consider using aquarium tongs and grabber . I do and it grabs everything like a robotic arm keeping your arms out of the water and placing everything where you want it. With a deep tank, I cannot do without them.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**** Dinoflagellates!!!! Been fighting it for over a year. Took that tank down and moved the coral to my qt tank after a dip in coral rx and a week later dino started in my qt tank. I just received my bottle of dinox guess I’ll try that and if that doesn’t help i don’t know what I’ll do. I’ve read the thread on here about dino. Didn’t lots of different things but kept coming back

Matt
@mcarroll and his sticky saved most of my tank. Lost all lps but softies survived. So my tank is softies now. Am happy with that.

Lissa1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to remind my husband to feed them most days. As a mother of 2, I’ve come to learn that husbands and children have a lot more in common than I realized lol. I’d feed them myself but I’m somehow allergic to almost everything they eat.
I had a huge allergic reaction to blood worms...Literally took me a couple days to connect it was related to the tank...(I'm allergic to pretty much everything but not to that extent.) Happened every night about the same time (eye membranes would swell and crazy itchy, hard to breath -ended up using the nebulizer as well as my fiancés inhaler) I was literally sitting in the emergency clinic parking lot (after stopping at the drug store for eye drops) when I realized it was getting better--out of the house/tank for awhile.. needless to say I check all my food now for blood worms... On a side note-they are the larval stage of "midges" that everyone says don't bite and are harmless, but I kept getting "bit" by them (pretty sure they just landed on me but my allergy made it seem like a "bite") Allergies are horrible!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Seems like consensus is MONEY.
I can say everything in any hobby cost money But am I correct in saying as technology improves everything lately is in the hundreds, approaching $1000??
Looking alone at lighting, our best lighting is easily $600-$900 each fixture

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back