This will end the hobby: AMENDMENTS TO LACEY ACT IN HOUSE COMPETES ACT HR4521

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lion Fish were introduced, presumably in the 80"s. Exotic BS livestock has been around for a long time, and will never be completely eradicated.

I can't/don't see the need to place parallels on an entire hobby9more precise fish hobby) based on a single or even a few species. Most online fish suppliers carry what, 50, 60 maybe a 100 different types of fish?
But what I am trying to say is this law is trying to prevent situations like this. The lion fish is invasive and was introduced to the environment and is destroying it.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I thought it would be all the computers crashing in 2000
Yeah was going mention mass economy meltdown at end of 1999 because a computer couldn't do 2000 lol but thought was pushing it just with the mayan prediction of 2012 2012 2012 and dont forget the 12 seconds at end ha ha

Aw I realised why world didn't end in 2012 now as not all countries would of been 2012 2012 2012 and 12 seconds as not all nations have same date format ha ha so world got saved ^_^

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again thay is simply not true. Importing any coral or ornamental fish into the US requires the scientific name on the paperwork. Listing "damsel" or "acropora" does not pass inspection by F&W. Speaking of F&W all imported wildlife must go through them to be imported. They document the scientific names of what is being imported so yes we do have a way of knowing what is currently being imported.

Of course at times the documentation may not be exactly correct, but for practical purposes they have a very good idea of everything that is currently being imported(via legal means anyway).
The documentation is usually vague at best and often flat-out wrong.

But what I am trying to say is this law is trying to prevent situations like this.
Well, the easiest way to prevent situations like that is to ban all pets.

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The documentation is usually vague at best and often flat-out wrong.

Well, the easiest way to prevent situations like that is to ban all pets.
Not going to happen but keep trying to convince people that all pets are going to be banned.

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please provide the number of animals that qualify as "more than minimal quantity". Because that's a subjective phrase.
They cannot provide an exact number because it would vary drastically between species and individuals within those species.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The section in question starts on page 1661. The key section is this one on page 1663:

1643855604102.png

This is worded ambiguously enough to be used to ban nearly everything.
um…..did you read the next line explicitly stating it doesn’t ban everything……

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The section in question starts on page 1661. The key section is this one on page 1663:

1643855604102.png

This is worded ambiguously enough to be used to ban nearly everything.
Can you post a link to the entire PDF?

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is at times wrong...it is never vague(not if you want it approved by F&W)
Well it will be more efficient if the government takes my fish when they stop by to take my guns, microchip me, and make me drink Starbucks every day.

who am I kidding, I don’t have a gun. Media literacy…..it should be required to leave your house or own a computer/phone

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, let's not remove corals from their natural habitat. Let's just wait for climate change to kill them all before we can learn how to best care for them in captivity.
(sarcasm)

The hobby drives forward the technology and research behind captive reefs.
The hobby inspires people to become coral scientists.
We are gonna need really good reef tanks kept by knowledgeable reefers, when natural reefs won't be a suitable habitat anymore.

Sean_B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But what I am trying to say is this law is trying to prevent situations like this. The lion fish is invasive and was introduced to the environment and is destroying it.
understood completely, I don't disagree. however, with global trading and "stupid money" taking over we are WAY passed securing the potential for ANY type of invasive species inhabitants.
ethics and morals are not governing bodies like I would like them to be, just saying. People are going to be people no matter what laws attempt to dictate, it will come down to money sadly.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SOunds eerily similar to HR 669 from a few years ago. Looking at the ammendment and the Lacy Act even captive raised animals would be subject to ban. Some of the critisisms of HR 669 seem to also apply here. There are some very vague definitions open to a wide range of interpretations, it totally ignores what states have already done and and it requires a great deal more burocracy to deal with what the thousands of non native species already here.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PIJAC has been the lobby for the pet industry since I started in 1986. They have always worked to advance the rights of pet owners. They keep an eye on government programs, laws and policies. They have benefitted the hobby and industry for decades. I support them and you should as well.
Anyone who has lived through the last three years should ask serious questions about things that effect your rights and freedoms. Just trusting politicians seems like risky business when you see what a little power and money does to their thinking! :confused::eek:

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• BILLS-117HR4521RH-RCP117-31.pdf
    6.1 MB · Views: 42

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a lawyer, I run a LFS. I don't know what impact this would have on our hobby. That being said I have gotten emails urging is to speak against this by many wholesalers and suppliers. If the big players in the industry, who do have legal teams, are concerned with this then so an I.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 149 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back