Tigahboy's Macroalgae Tank(s)

WOW, those are amazing looking tanks. Great photos! And those close up pics of the fish... I'm hugely impressed! No idea how you did that.
Thank you! I have another macroalgae tank (UNS 5N) in the works as well. Been really enjoying this deep dive into macroalgae scaping.

It looks like a freshwater aquascape lol
All of these tanks are heavily influenced by freshwater scapes. I really love the freshwater aesthetic but I'm a saltwater guy so decided to try to blend the two.
 
A few updates.

This Rhipocephalus phoenix has a decent growth rate. Sprouted 2 baby trees within a few weeks in my UNS 45A.
DSC04047.jpg


These blue sapphire damsels are doing a good job of keeping the flatworm population in check. They can't completely eradicate them (I see a few here and there), but I don't see any on my glass anymore.
DSC03966.jpg


DSC04260-2.jpg


I'll probably be taking down this 1g UNS 16C soon.
DSC03795.jpg


Will be replacing it with a new macroalgae project - this UNS 5N (5g). I was originally going to set-up a betta tank with this, but couldn't resist setting up another planted reef. Oh, macroalgae, I can't quit you.
DSC03729.jpg
 
Some updates for the UNS 60S lagoon.

Finally got a hold of these yellow dwarf feather dusters. Been looking for these specific ones for awhile now for this tank.
DSC04318.jpg



FTS with the new worms.
DSC04313.jpg


Also added a Tail Spot Blenny! Named him Blen Affleck.
DSC04279.jpg


DSC04297.jpg


My grape caulerpa also went sexual (bummer b/c most of it is gone now). Always a risk when you keep caulerpa. I usually just remove the dead leaves, do a big water change, and run carbon.
 
This build thread has given me major inspiration! I knew I was going to have a planted macro tank in my (eventual) system, but now I want to try and see what I can do (maybe Dutch style? Nature Style?) with a bunch of different macro!
You should definitely give it a try! If you want to keep a lot of different macros, a Dutch style sounds awesome.
 
My new macroalgae tank (UNS 5N) has been up and running so thought I'd share a few shots.

Added a white vinyl film to the back of the tank and slapped on a backlight that I had lying around.
DSC04352.jpg


Ordered some more live rock from KPA for the scape and biological filtration.
DSC04541-2.jpg


And just added a clump of gracilaria that I had in another tank as well.
DSC04646.jpg
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new