Tigahboy's Macroalgae Tank(s)

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always loved your tanks. Just curious, have you ever thought of putting in a Cassiopea jellyfish in one of your tanks? They are small, cheap, photosynthetic, usually sit on the bottom, and look cool.

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always loved your tanks. Just curious, have you ever thought of putting in a Cassiopea jellyfish in one of your tanks? They are small, cheap, photosynthetic, usually sit on the bottom, and look cool.
I have not, but sounds like something worth looking into! :)

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super honored to be featured this month as R2R's Reef of the Month! Link to the feature article below!

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loved the episode of RNN you were a part of. May or may not try my hand at a macro tank as a result

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some random shots I took tonight.
DSC06742.jpg

DSC06750.jpg

DSC06759.jpg

DSC06762.jpg

Coopdod50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you use as clean up crew? I know nothing about macro algae but I would assume some members of a CUC would eat the display stuff along with hair algae or whatnot, right?

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you use as clean up crew? I know nothing about macro algae but I would assume some members of a CUC would eat the display stuff along with hair algae or whatnot, right?
I have a decent variety of smaller-sized snails in all of my tanks. Astreas, Florida Ceriths, Dwarf Ceriths, and Nassarius are my go-tos. Stay away from like huge snails, such as Mexican Turbos, urchins, emerald crabs, and possibly larger hermits. I do have some scarlet hermits and I think I've seen them munch on some macroalgae.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a decent variety of smaller-sized snails in all of my tanks. Astreas, Florida Ceriths, Dwarf Ceriths, and Nassarius are my go-tos. Stay away from like huge snails, such as Mexican Turbos, urchins, emerald crabs, and possibly larger hermits. I do have some scarlet hermits and I think I've seen them munch on some macroalgae.

Everything still looking beautiful!! :p

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy, it's been awhile. Work has been keeping me insanely busy. But here are some updates:

JC&P sent me this light to try out for my UNS 5N. I think it's a lot more light than I need though for this sized-tank, so I may move it to my grow-out tank. It looks pretty nice though.
DSC07832.jpg

DSC07861.jpg

DSC07868.jpg

Some random shots from around my tanks:
DSC07269.jpg

DSC07212.jpg

DSC07818.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

MattyMatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently put some macros in my nano tank, and realized the stuff I bought is the same macroalgae (ulva and others) that I find at my beach house. Now excited to try a tidal tank with stuff I can collect while kayaking--eelgrass, winkles, ulva, fiddlers, hermit crabs, etc. Coastal NC kind of stuff. Is it possible to create tides in a tank system? If so, how? Has anyone done it?

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently put some macros in my nano tank, and realized the stuff I bought is the same macroalgae (ulva and others) that I find at my beach house. Now excited to try a tidal tank with stuff I can collect while kayaking--eelgrass, winkles, ulva, fiddlers, hermit crabs, etc. Coastal NC kind of stuff. Is it possible to create tides in a tank system? If so, how? Has anyone done it?
That's really awesome. Looking forward to seeing what you can collect. I'm sure you can create some kind of tide tank. Just need to sump it up and get to plumbing. :)

@reefpizza blue hypnea pannosa!

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been playing around with plant specimen vases (these are made by Aqua Worx) to showcase macroalgae for photos. Not to keep them long-term, but just to capture fancy shots. What do you think?

DSC07955.jpg

DSC07977.jpg

DSC07957-2.jpg

Caulerpa paspaloides and Portieria shown here.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back