Tiny- The Wallet Destroyer (1000G)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following and thanks for sharing your build so far!

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

Be Nice to Coral-Nippers!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO/DI is less efficient in high temps IIRC.

I keep my system in my garage in Texas and when I open the garage doors I get condensation on everything but that’s the worse of it.

I use a booster bump to take 60PSI up to 80-90 and I highly recommend that to improve efficiency and filter life.

I use 2 stackable 50g drums I purchased on Amazon. I love them. The top is saltwater and the bottom is fresh. I mix saltwater every 30 days (or so) and have no issues with salinity swings due to evaporation. The water temp is around 83f but since it’s added so slowly over the day it doesn’t affect temps in the tank.

I mix with a Vectra pump (L2 maybe)? It’s silent and doesn’t give off a lot of heat for the water it moves. I’d avoid cheap AC power heads.

Depending on the aesthetic rules of your wife and HOA, I would get a small plastic or wood tool shed and put it in an inconspicuous place along the side of my house on or near a spigot. They have ones that only stick out 36” or so and have double doors.

It's along the side of the house so was just planning on putting a roof over the containers and calling it a day. But you're prolly right, it should be enclosed...

I guess I could finally just get a shed. I've been receiving increasingly insistent "hints" from the S/O that the back porch is not the proper place to store my rapidly growing collection of gardening "stuff":

IMG-0121.jpg

IMG-0120.jpg

On a side-note, my habit of rapidly accumulating "stuff" is NOT going to be improved through this new reef tank venture LoL... Pray for me.

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO/DI is less efficient in high temps IIRC.

I keep my system in my garage in Texas and when I open the garage doors I get condensation on everything but that’s the worse of it.

I use a booster bump to take 60PSI up to 80-90 and I highly recommend that to improve efficiency and filter life.

I use 2 stackable 50g drums I purchased on Amazon. I love them. The top is saltwater and the bottom is fresh. I mix saltwater every 30 days (or so) and have no issues with salinity swings due to evaporation. The water temp is around 83f but since it’s added so slowly over the day it doesn’t affect temps in the tank.

I mix with a Vectra pump (L2 maybe)? It’s silent and doesn’t give off a lot of heat for the water it moves. I’d avoid cheap AC power heads.

Depending on the aesthetic rules of your wife and HOA, I would get a small plastic or wood tool shed and put it in an inconspicuous place along the side of my house on or near a spigot. They have ones that only stick out 36” or so and have double doors.

Alright cool, we're not as hot here in Tampa as in Texas so that makes me feel better. I'm assuming the barrels are closed/sealed to prevent evaporation?

I was not aware that boosting PSI actually improves filter life, I would've assumed the opposite but that makes sense now that I think about it. I'll have to add a visit from the plumber to determine my water pressure to the list. Thanks for the advice!!!

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright cool, we're not as hot here in Tampa as in Texas so that makes me feel better. I'm assuming the barrels are closed/sealed to prevent evaporation?

I was not aware that boosting PSI actually improves filter life, I would've assumed the opposite but that makes sense now that I think about it. I'll have to add a visit from the plumber to determine my water pressure to the list. Thanks for the advice!!!

actually I had to cut out the cap for the saltwater so I could fit in the pump. I just throw a rag over the hole when not in use. I did install a bulkhead for the in line from the RO/DI and it came with a hose hookup I converted to 1/4 poly tubing to run to my tank.

more BRS (so with a grain of salt)

Benefits of maintaining higher water pressures

• Improved waste water ratio
  • Improved membrane rejection performance
  • Reduced DI resin consumption

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my dual returns today from my LFS as a surprise (they were supposed to be back-ordered but he had a couple mixed in with his last shipment of M2s!!!). After this next round I think I'll have to start going used to stay under budget, but still super exciting to get new stuff!

The LFS is Coral Corral here in Tampa. If you're ever in the area, check them out, ask for Pierre, and tell him Jeremy sent ya!

VectraL2.jpg

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brought home a new toy today!

Also, pro tip: when you come home with a monster skimmer and your partner asks, “what the heck is that thing??”, the correct answer is NOT:

“It’s the FISH TOILET !”

Soooo, pretty sure I’ve 86’d ANY chance for sharing this chore LoL.

FBB32720-4509-459B-9E61-3643FA0E2B61.jpeg

reefdiver73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the electrical outlets in!

GFCI on their own circuits, so safety first! Would y’all still recommend a grounding probe?

1497731C-DC4D-4396-A00B-0431B6F434A6.jpeg
Following for your build progress!
Did you talk to an electrician about your choice of GFCI? My electrician actually recommends against GFCI for situations where there is a motor with brushes. If all your motors are going to be brushless then no problem, but brushes create spark which can fool a GFCI into thinking there's a problem and tripping. I doubt you're using motors with brushes unless you have external pump motors, in which case it is possible.

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following for your build progress!
Did you talk to an electrician about your choice of GFCI? My electrician actually recommends against GFCI for situations where there is a motor with brushes. If all your motors are going to be brushless then no problem, but brushes create spark which can fool a GFCI into thinking there's a problem and tripping. I doubt you're using motors with brushes unless you have external pump motors, in which case it is possible.

Hey there, thanks for following. I do have a couple MRC MP-6100 external motors for the closed loops coming… not sure if they’re brushless?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The wallet is being thoroughly destroyed! :p

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Going to be at least another 8-10 weeks as the builder is still waiting for necessary materials. Was supposed to be ready September, now looking more like December.

Feeling a little discouraged but I know that the world is crazy right now, and that the tank will be done eventually. Can’t wait to get some momentum going again.

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are starting to move again! Found a designer and installer (poor guy has no idea what he's gotten himself into LoL), and now zeroing in on the final details, and hope to have a firm completion date soon. Here's a first proposal I got for the cabinetry:

jeremy cabinet with canopy.jpg

What do y'all think? I'm thinking I want to go for a more modern look, with 3, full-height panel doors instead instead of 6 in-set along the front. I also think I'd rather have a "floating canopy" about 18" off the water instead of just a cap sitting on the top of the tank. There will be plenty of lighting horsepower to account for the increased distance to the water line.

Otherwise, I really like the dimensions and detail. Thoughts?

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Got my dual returns today from my LFS as a surprise (they were supposed to be back-ordered but he had a couple mixed in with his last shipment of M2s!!!). After this next round I think I'll have to start going used to stay under budget, but still super exciting to get new stuff!

The LFS is Coral Corral here in Tampa. If you're ever in the area, check them out, ask for Pierre, and tell him Jeremy sent ya!

VectraL2.jpg
I wonder, what is the kind of budget for such a Moster tank? I have ptsd from how much I spent on my IM25 lagoon.

This is going to be a showstopper once finished.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back