To rip clean or not???!

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Question for you @brandon429
We have a new 45 gallon JBJ AIO that was set up around Feb 15th and cycled with MicrobacterXLM and a week later Bio-Spira.
Dosed XLM added Dr Tim’s ammonia drops and watched over 3 days drop to near 0 added livestock from a 12 gallon (2 clowns, lawnmower blenny, and a mollie) and cycling that “quick” created a lot of tension in the house since the old way of cycling tanks was the norm.
Used dry sand, rodi, and established rock from the previous tank.

The problem is, last week I ordered a TDS meter and found that the RODI water we were using is sitting around 50ppm. The bottle of drinking purified water I decided to check was 1ppm.

Waiting to order our own RODI unit when they show up in stock.

So here’s my question....
Diatoms have certainly showed up, when we get some 0 TDS water should we Rip clean or do water changes to try and get rid of the diatoms?

Rip clean seems to be the way to go only because we added a six-line, bristtletooth filefish and 3 firefish and now there’s only 1 firefish visible. Everything else including seems to be in perfect health.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the action used to be thought of as dangerous until Jon just ran it twice on a five thousand dollar + reef, twice in one month, that had nothing wrong with it :) plus he had ICP measures posted plus aquabiomics measures coming up from the system.

it is not harmful, it’s just wasteful of water if simpler measures might work. One reason I’d recommend seeing Jon’s work, and doing it, is to shed reef hesitations that in the end want to wreck your tank not from diatoms now, but from invader X long down the road.

the condition will likely subside without tank surgery, but then again what other method produces after pics this sharp?

that doesn’t mean you should rip clean. It means if you want to, we can, always. In any tank at any interval. Thanks tons for posting!

your rip clean might be redoing an unrinsed new sandbed, in that way it will help the tank 100%

OP
OP
Intense37754

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I read it when it was posted and it looks great and will reread.
I personally don’t have a problem with letting the diatoms ride out...she does lol I wanted an opinion because the tank is so new.

The 2 key things I was thinking is that originally the water was not up to par for her mixed tank.
There’s possibly a dead fish or two somewhere or the emerald crabs and shrimp cleaned them up by now.

And that if we do this and results are disastrous I just might end up buried, I only wish that it is someplace warm as I hate the cold!

Thanks

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the prime chief reason I love pure accountability work threads for patterning, it’s all in what works for others not just in my home.

2 people post action X with good outcomes, could be lucky.

but 30 pages no variance? Significant.

that reminds me above there are consequences for poor procedural advice outside of the tank alone

i only like occ memes they’re the best this one was two mos old

EB91046C-6969-4B73-A503-AD7948B3A915.jpeg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 55.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back