Tomini twitch while swimming?

jaredrah777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had this guys for a little over a month so far. He is by far the biggest pig of the tank but i’ve noticed weird swimming habits from him as of late and twitching at times.

Anybody know what it could be?

Flukes?

OP
OP
J

jaredrah777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i feed him

Spin. Mysis
Spin Brine
Mysis

mixed with garlic

selcon

vitachem

metro/focus

hufa, amino acids

little garlic

javisaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’ve noticed this for about 1-2 weeks now

if it was flukes would he already be dead by now?
It could be flukes. Fish can live a long time with flukes. You could try a freshwater dip (temp acclimated) to see if flukes come off. If it is flukes, then all the fish are likely infected.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fish can live for a long time with a chronic skin flukes infestation. In some cases, it isn't fatal at all. Remember, the parasites don't really want to kill their hosts since they would die as well. It's just that in small aquariums, the parasite load is much greater than in the wild.

I watched the video a couple of times and didn't really see much fin flicking or twitching. Still, those signs can be very subtle.

One option would be to treat the tank with Prazipro 2x, nine days apart with really good aeration. That is well tolerated by fish and most invertebrates. If the symptoms clear up, then it was flukes.

the trouble with FW dips as a diagnostic tool is that only one type of fluke is large enough to see in the dip water without a microscope (Neobenedenia) ....other fluke species would go unnoticed.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Twitching, yawning, scratching gills and rapid breathing often symptoms of flukes
Often a 5 min freshwater dip in a clean preferably dark container the same temperature as display tank will offer temporary relief and dislodge some of the worms associated with flukes
After 5 mins, return fish to display tank and look on bottom of container if necessary with a flashlight for what looks like sesame seeds or fish scales. If you can see that- flukes
Prazi pro treatment effective with flukes treating for 8 days… water change day 9 and treatment for another 8 days

OP
OP
J

jaredrah777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish can live for a long time with a chronic skin flukes infestation. In some cases, it isn't fatal at all. Remember, the parasites don't really want to kill their hosts since they would die as well. It's just that in small aquariums, the parasite load is much greater than in the wild.

I watched the video a couple of times and didn't really see much fin flicking or twitching. Still, those signs can be very subtle.

One option would be to treat the tank with Prazipro 2x, nine days apart with really good aeration. That is well tolerated by fish and most invertebrates. If the symptoms clear up, then it was flukes.

the trouble with FW dips as a diagnostic tool is that only one type of fluke is large enough to see in the dip water without a microscope (Neobenedenia) ....other fluke species would go unnoticed.

Jay
in the beginning of the video he almost tilts up when swimming before he turns around its odd but he does this often im not sure if its normal

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back