Too many fish?

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently purchasing an innovative marine 80g with the dimensions of 47x18x16. I created a stocking list but I’m not sure if this is too many fish.

2x black ice clownfish
Orange back fairy wrasse
Sand sifting goby
Flame hawk
Tomini Tang
Green mandarin
3x anthias (undecided type)
Purple Tang
Powder blue tang
Copperband Butterfly
Cleaner wrasse

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently purchasing an innovative marine 80g with the dimensions of 47x18x16. I created a stocking list but I’m not sure if this is too many fish.

2x black ice clownfish
Orange back fairy wrasse
Sand sifting goby
Flame hawk
Tomini Tang
Green mandarin
Purple Tang
Powder blue tang
Copperband Butterfly
Cleaner wrasse
I would think this is too many fish. Especially with a purple tang, which would eventually get too big for this tank. I have a 75, and I was only going to put in 8 fish. I also caution putting multiplication tangs in one tank as they can turn on eachother

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll have better success with fish if you think of compatability and care rather than quantity. Drop the powder and cut the list in half if your gonna keep two tangs in a cuatro. Anthias need a ton of nutrition and Butterflies can be finicky and shy. Both probably best left out of a newer aquarium.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder blues are nasty and so are purples. Both would be too big for the tank and super aggressive in that small space

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder blues are nasty and so are purples. Both would be too big for the tank and super aggressive in that small space
Could I replace the powder and the purple with a yellow and kole tang?

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try any combination of fish you want. Every fish is different. I have a PB, Yellow, Purple, and a SF. Thick as thieves. They are always together. It took some work with acclimation boxes and some mirrors but it worked out.

The 2 biggest issues on how many fish you can keep is hiding spaces/habitat and the most important thing is how many fish you can have is directly related to your export.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My purple is not nasty at all. He is in the 300 with 2 yellow tangs, a blonde naso, a tomini, a blue hippo ..all have been tank mates for coming on 2 years...
He has 300 gallons though, OP has 80. Purple probably would be nasty in that tank size. My purple is bossy, only nasty to new fish for a few days then she mellows out

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would only keep a tomini in ther if you have to have a tang. Tank is small for them due to activity level. My tangs have a six foot tank and swim all over. I would look at live aquaria on the fish and see minimum tank sizes. This tank is too small for multiple tangs

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say no sweat with that. I have in my 75g
1 orange shoulder tang
1 hippo tang
1 tomini tang
1 flame hawk
1 royal gramma
2 perc clownfish
1 bi color angel
6 mollys
1 blue dot jawfish
2 watchman gobies
1 melenarus wrasse

So 18 fish. 3 more than your list.

Have good filtration. I feed heavy so need to take care of waste. Algae scrubber for the win. Also skim heavy.

Good aquascape for fish to hide and make territory.

Sand for sand dwellers.

Get the tangs small. They grow super slow in home aquaria.

If you add clowns first they will get major territorial.
Get a mirror and put it up to tank before you add fish. Keep them occupied for a few days.

Good luck

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

2x black ice clownfish
Orange back fairy wrasse
Sand sifting goby
Flame hawk
Tomini Tang
Green mandarin
Purple Tang
Powder blue tang
Copperband Butterfly
Cleaner wrasse
Whenever someone asks 'is this too many fish' - it usually is:). In this case I think it is. At least a couple may bully some of the others, and the purple tang and powder blue tang this size will likely be an issue as they grow. I however, had a 5 foot tank - a little deeper and taller with 3 tangs - and no problems (and a copper band). Hope this helps - good luck with your new tank

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever someone asks 'is this too many fish' - it usually is:). In this case I think it is. At least a couple may bully some of the others, and the purple tang and powder blue tang this size will likely be an issue as they grow. I however, had a 5 foot tank - a little deeper and taller with 3 tangs - and no problems (and a copper band). Hope this helps - good luck with your new tank

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh didnt see you had tomini tang in there. Yes. Big problem. When i put mirror up to distract clownfish tomini spends the most time attacking himsel.

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldn't add the Copperband or the Mandarin till the tank is well established with pods. Both those fish will decimate a pod population if they are not eating prepared foods.

I have a 375 and the 1 CB I have does not let a pod go by with out eating it, and he also eats all the mysis I can add to the tank.

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would only keep a tomini in ther if you have to have a tang. Tank is small for them due to activity level. My tangs have a six foot tank and swim all over. I would look at live aquaria on the fish and see minimum tank sizes. This tank is too small for multiple tangs
What live aquaria and others claim as minimum tank sizes are first uneducated opinions and second supposed to represent what's needed to house a full grown specimen. Being that 90% of hobbyists don't survive the first year or two makes opions like this a mood point. A purple will be absolutely fine in that tank.

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't add the Copperband or the Mandarin till the tank is well established with pods. Both those fish will decimate a pod population if they are not eating prepared foods.

I have a 375 and the 1 CB I have does not let a pod go by with out eating it, and he also eats all the mysis I can add to the tank.
I currently have a 40b with a Tomini tang, flame hawk, and a green mandarin. I didn’t buy one of the captive bred ones and he’s been eating pellets so do you think he will be fine? I’m getting rid of my 40 breeder and moving my current fish into there

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back