Too many fish?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Grain of salt is putting it nicely as all they did was copy Bornemans opions from the 90s. If I'm not mistaken Eric was the first to write an opinion on compacity for the possibility of owning full grown specimens. Once again an opinion on full grown specimens. For anyone to say outside of common sense what's right or wrong well is just wrong.
If you can post a link to those references, etc that would be great. On this site as you're probably aware, there have been several debates about tank size and various fish - tangs, angels, triggers, etc etc. Some saying - fish will not outgrow their tank, others saying thats ridiculous. Many people get around these ideas by suggesting they will re-home the fish when necessary - which then causes more stress and potential problems, at least IME. The science (I believe says) that tangs have (or are supposed to have) a major part of their growth early in life, followed by a gradual growth to whatever maximum they are going to achieve. So - IMHO - though Tang xxx may not make it to 12 inches, my main disagreement with what you said (and perhaps a misunderstanding) was that since so many fish expire within a year or 2 its not an issue.
Maybe I should take the word expert with a grain of salt?
I guess it depends on your definition. :). But yes - I'm not sure there is any particular definition of that word here. EDIT - the reason I say this is - this would not be the first time that 2or 3 or 10 experts disagree on a topic:)

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure who those people are or what a cat little even is? Im not trying to argue but I honestly am confused what point youre actually trying to make. I just dont agree with calling people/sites/sources uneducated but not being able to say why you think that :) again not trying to argue with you. I was offering OP my opinion and why I thought that. Its up to them if they take it or not.

As to answer OP’s question I think tang wise a bristletooth or tomini would be the best long term. There are people who get babies and re home or upgrade once they get bigger so that might be an option. Biota sells some very cute and tiny aquacultured yellow tangs! Mine is about 1.5 inches now, had him 4 months now. That could be a short term option as well. But good luck to whatever you choose to go with. :) and keep us updated
I think he means cat litter - since there was a merger or buy out of pet equipment supplier 'Dr's Foster and Smith'...

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he means cat litter - since there was a merger or buy out of pet equipment supplier 'Dr's Foster and Smith'...
Oh. Still not understanding the relevance here but thank you for explaining lol

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently purchasing an innovative marine 80g with the dimensions of 47x18x16. I created a stocking list but I’m not sure if this is too many fish.

2x black ice clownfish
Orange back fairy wrasse
Sand sifting goby
Flame hawk
Tomini Tang
Green mandarin
3x anthias (undecided type)
Purple Tang
Powder blue tang
Copperband Butterfly
Cleaner wrasse
yes, too many…
oddly, the way the list is ordered, I’d say if you stop at the mandarin, you got a pretty nice tank

everything from the anthias down is problematic in a tank that small

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, too many…
oddly, the way the list is ordered, I’d say if you stop at the mandarin, you got a pretty nice tank

everything from the anthias down is problematic in a tank that small
You really think I could have any Anthias in that tank?

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 fish in a 75 and feel like that's too many.
Health and welfare of all creatures should always be put first.
Disease and stress to overcrowding are going to be the result.
My opinion.
35 years going strong and would never call myself an expert.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 fish in a 75 and feel like that's too many.
Health and welfare of all creatures should always be put first.
Disease and stress to overcrowding are going to be the result.
My opinion.
35 years going strong and would never call myself an expert.

3 fish in a 75 too much? Groupers or something? No good reef has sparse fish. Reefs are vibrant with fish life. Add 13 more and your getting there.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently purchasing an innovative marine 80g with the dimensions of 47x18x16. I created a stocking list but I’m not sure if this is too many fish.

2x black ice clownfish
Orange back fairy wrasse
Sand sifting goby
Flame hawk
Tomini Tang
Green mandarin
Purple Tang
Powder blue tang
Copperband Butterfly
Cleaner wrasse
47x18x16 is 58 gallons filled to the top. It may be a 80 gallon with the sump volume

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 fish in a 75 too much? Groupers or something? No good reef has sparse fish. Reefs are vibrant with fish life. Add 13 more and your getting there.
To each his own.
That's what makes the hobby so great, no?
I learned fish keeping in this hobby a different way than that, emphasizing swimming space and territory for each fish. I have not a reef but a mere 4 foot box for my friends and with a 5 inch trigger,5 inch yellow tang and a 4 inch, incredibly aggressive coral beauty I know I'm at my limit and theirs.
I learned early to always know the limit.
One more fish in there would last 30 seconds and that's not fair to anyone, is it now.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

2x black ice clownfish
Orange back fairy wrasse
Sand sifting goby
Flame hawk
Tomini Tang
Green mandarin
Purple Tang
Powder blue tang
Copperband Butterfly
Cleaner wrasse
May be but if you are religious about water quality, will/may work but I would not consider any fish moving forward. With rock and decor, you in essence have 72 useable gallons, likely

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You think lyretails would be happy in a tank that size? The males get pretty gigantic
3-4 with one mal only and my male is a tad over 3" over last 4 years. The male square anthias gets large (4+") and not friendly with others

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3-4 with one mal only and my male is a tad over 3" over last 4 years. The male square anthias gets large (4+") and not friendly with others
Yeah I guess you're right they don't seem to grow much in captivity. I have a male that's probably 4 - 4 1/2 inches but hasn't really grown in the last year. He was quite aggressive with everything in the tank for awhile before I added my foxface though. Chased my blue line flasher to death ☹️

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sometimes you might have to buy 6 Anthias to end up with 4, and there is the rub….
NTM I had originally assumed 80gals “swimming space”, if the tank is actually 58, I dunno
Yeah I bought a trio and ended up with a duo, but once they settle in they seem quite hardy. My midas blenny finishes out the "trio" now lol

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made an updated list based on the advice I got.

2x black ice clownfish
Solorensis Wrasse
Diamond Sleeper goby
Flame hawk
Tomini Tang
Green mandarin
3x lyretail anthias (1 male 2 female)
Yellow tang (aquacultured)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back