Torch health

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas? Got the torch with healthy, big membrane. Put it in my SPS tank and was getting a tad violent flow. Today I checked it a bit and found out the membrane definitely recessed and there's these weird strings like from an anemones mouth. Any idea? I have it moved to a low flow low light corner right now.

It still opens up big, healthily tho. Honestly I wouldn't have known if I didn't check

Alk is constant 8.2-.4
IMG_6166.JPG

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, could be too much light or flow given SPS tank. The recession looks pretty uniform, so maybe check your water parameters again. There might be something in your water it doesn’t like. The strings you mention are mesenterial filaments. It’s a stress response usually when something is not right in the water or it senses something nearby is bothering it.

OP
OP
KevinC

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, could be too much light or flow given SPS tank. The recession looks pretty uniform, so maybe check your water parameters again. There might be something in your water it doesn’t like. The strings you mention are mesenterial filaments. It’s a stress response usually when something is not right in the water or it senses something nearby is bothering it.

Had my doubts, was below LED before, now MH. Still getting the same 180 PAR tho. Flow definitely increased and I will check my water again tomorrow. Thanks!

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had my doubts, was below LED before, now MH. Still getting the same 180 PAR tho. Flow definitely increased and I will check my water again tomorrow. Thanks!

180 feels a bit high tbh. I usually aim for 150 max, unless you’ve acclimated it to 180 slowly already. Not sure how long you’ve had it. My recommendation is to keep it in low light and flow until the recession stops or reverses. You have enough coverage that it’s not a big deal, but obviously want to avoid more degradation.

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
180 feels a bit high tbh. I usually aim for 150 max, unless you’ve acclimated it to 180 slowly already. Not sure how long you’ve had it. My recommendation is to keep it in low light and flow until the recession stops or reverses. You have enough coverage that it’s not a big deal, but obviously want to avoid more degradation.
Id have to disagree here. If its been acclimated to your lighting, or changes in lighting, then 180 is fine. A lot of collectors are keeping there's in 250-300 PAR. Sudden change in lighting possibly, when mine start looking "off" I start checking and monitoring ALK, PO4, and NO3 several times a day.

Based on the OP info Id vote that the water flow first, nutrients second, and some sort of pest third, but a little more info would be helpful to nail down the culprit(s)

1 What are your NO3 and PO4?
2 How long have you had it?
3 LED to MH how long did you acclimate it to the lighting?*Or you recently bought it from someone running LED and went right to MH?
4. What color were the "strings" around the mouth area?

If its a newer piece it may just need more time to acclimate to the change in chemistry, lighting, and flow. Id put it in medium flow area and 130-150 PAR for the time being. Also an iodine bath never hurt either, but try to not to move it too much (as Im sure you know already)

OP
OP
KevinC

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id have to disagree here. If its been acclimated to your lighting, or changes in lighting, then 180 is fine. A lot of collectors are keeping there's in 250-300 PAR. Sudden change in lighting possibly, when mine start looking "off" I start checking and monitoring ALK, PO4, and NO3 several times a day.

Based on the OP info Id vote that the water flow first, nutrients second, and some sort of pest third, but a little more info would be helpful to nail down the culprit(s)

1 What are your NO3 and PO4?
2 How long have you had it?
3 LED to MH how long did you acclimate it to the lighting?*Or you recently bought it from someone running LED and went right to MH?
4. What color were the "strings" around the mouth area?

If its a newer piece it may just need more time to acclimate to the change in chemistry, lighting, and flow. Id put it in medium flow area and 130-150 PAR for the time being. Also an iodine bath never hurt either, but try to not to move it too much (as Im sure you know already)

Didnt even see this reply! well an update is that it definitely worsen (checked again today). I have moved it down in flow and light since the post before. Its weird how the torch is still opening up nicely and colored up but its health did not improve.

I got it from someone whos running ophrek LED (200+ PAR) to my MH/T5 and reefbrite supplement (180).

I did not give it an iodine bath before but now I seriously think it needs one

its been 3 months since I kept it now. the color of the strings are brown. it looks "healthy" with the same color

PO4 is 0.04
NO3 is 15ppm
ALK is constant 8.3
IMG_6457.JPG
IMG_6456.JPG

OP
OP
KevinC

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My other torch, a Aussie gold torch and a dragon soul , is 100% healthy, getting the same light and flow as the indo.

Would putting it next to the Aussie hurt it??
A speculation of mine is that the most severed damage part of the indo torch is right behind the Aussie torch.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back