Torch with BJD!!! Help

Reefhaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a torch yesterday with BJD on one head and by the afternoon it was on two heads. So I dosed cipro last night while the lights were off and by the morning it was a goner. Now a torch next to it has it. What can I do with the torch??? Can I create a cipro solution and dip the infected torch in it? If so, how many mg of cipro per water and how long do I dip it in for? Also, have anyone dipped it in freshwater? I will certainly dose cipro until tonight to make sure nothing else gets BJD. Thank guys!

82920225-7F95-4DDD-A84C-E1B679325024.jpeg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost 2 this week to it. Its best to just toss it before it spreads
Agreed, this isn’t something you want to mess around with.
Sad to say, the best way to save the rest of the reef is to cut your losses and remove the sick ones.
Any attempts at treatment should be done out of the tank to keep it from spreading.
Still dose the dt with cipro after the torch is removed.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FW dip I would say is a no no. Dosing tank with Cipro is good. I do a bath for those that are clearly infected. I mix it strong.. I just scrape the pill until there is a bunch of white stuff floating around in a quart of tank water and dip for an hour or so and swoosh the coral periodically as well as squirt water at the infected area to dislodge muck and loose tissue.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a torch yesterday with BJD on one head and by the afternoon it was on two heads. So I dosed cipro last night while the lights were off and by the morning it was a goner. Now a torch next to it has it. What can I do with the torch??? Can I create a cipro solution and dip the infected torch in it? If so, how many mg of cipro per water and how long do I dip it in for? Also, have anyone dipped it in freshwater? I will certainly dose cipro until tonight to make sure nothing else gets BJD. Thank guys!

82920225-7F95-4DDD-A84C-E1B679325024.jpeg
Maybe this thread will help you in some way
Thread 'Experimenting with in-tank antibiotic treatments for Brown Jelly Disease' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/e...ic-treatments-for-brown-jelly-disease.782438/

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, BJD is brought on by extreme coral stress so something is way off in your tank creating the stressful coral environment that promotes BJD.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FW dip I would say is a no no. Dosing tank with Cipro is good. I do a bath for those that are clearly infected. I mix it strong.. I just scrape the pill until there is a bunch of white stuff floating around in a quart of tank water and dip for an hour or so and swoosh the coral periodically as well as squirt water at the infected area to dislodge muck and loose tissue.
I've done this treatment and have saved the overall coral (the other unaffected heads) but the initial head that was infected is always a goner. Anyone else have a different experience?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JGT @Lavey29 if you don't mind me asking, What is the Cipro dosage per gallon you used?
My total system is 80g. I dose one 125mg pill every other day for 6 days. So 3 doses. You need to dissolve in salt water first and dose at night with chemical media removed. Skimmer on or off doesn't matter.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember years ago it was suggested if one head developed bjd it was best to cut that head off as it was guaranteed to rapidly spread to the others .
Cutting the one affected head was at that time the only way to save the rest of the colony

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 149 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 66 26.9%
Back