Total light time and DLI help please

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dana in your article about DLI the experiment was done in a tide pool. Good article and thank you

To me a tank getting 500 par for 12 hours seems a little insane. That’s along time at a high amount of par. I’m guessing the high flow of the tide pool helps with this? What I also don’t get is in the macna video on BRS you said (I think) anything over 200 par Corals would photosynthesis slower. Also to much par for an extended amount of time can do damage. So with the DLI tidepool do you think the Corals have adapted to their environment?

What do you consider to be the best DLI in an Aquarium? Or what would you set your lights to be? Like what par on the sand bed and for how long?

I just got the pmk from Neptune and I am getting roughly 200 on my sand bed for 7.5 hours and for three hours ( my sunrise sunset) out of the day it is getting 50 par. So would I add the two DLI’s together? Or if that is wrong how would I figure out my total DLI? I get an average of 136 ish for the 11 hours my lights are on total from my apex graph

Also do you think that 200 par on my sand bed for 7.5 hours is enough as I am only getting a DLI of 5.4 on my sand bed 20 inches away from the top of the tank.

Now that I have the proper tools I want to adjust my lights to go along with the data. But there is a lot of data with so many different variables out there

Thanks

Justin

OP
OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just in case anyone has the PMK you multiply your daily (24 hour) par by 0.0864 to get your DLI

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back