Trachy show off thread!

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys. I added another Trachy this week. When you order a coral online do they sometimes come in bleached out looking The order pic it looked beautuful pink blue and green.

After 4 days it looks the same. Thoughts?

A1DB3E83-2F60-492E-ADA0-7EAD3B0C7D02.jpeg
622A43F1-4DCA-4B9F-B3E3-790A68FDDB0B.jpeg
nice coral! I wouldn't worry about it for a few weeks as long as it isn't losing tissue, it'll get comfortable. To me, it looks more like a cynarina than a trachyphyllia. Maybe it's just because it's not opened up the whole way.

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!
Thought I would bring this thread back with this trachy that I just bought. It has a flat skeletal bottom, so does that mean that it is a trachyphyllia radiata? I've also heard that trachyphyllia radiata (previously wellsophyllia radiata) become more folded than trachyphyllia geoffroyi. The coral only has one mouth, and its skeleton has a small fold on one side. What do you guys think will be the end growth pattern of this coral? Also, how fast do these guys grow? If anyone has growth progression pics, please share them.
Anyways here is my "paint splatter" trachy that I absolutely love! (I took the pictures under daylight, but my phone can't handle it, so it has the white balance adjusted for pretty true colors.)
image1.jpeg

image0.jpeg

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!
Thought I would bring this thread back with this trachy that I just bought. It has a flat skeletal bottom, so does that mean that it is a trachyphyllia radiata? I've also heard that trachyphyllia radiata (previously wellsophyllia radiata) become more folded than trachyphyllia geoffroyi. The coral only has one mouth, and its skeleton has a small fold on one side. What do you guys think will be the end growth pattern of this coral? Also, how fast do these guys grow? If anyone has growth progression pics, please share them.
Anyways here is my "paint splatter" trachy that I absolutely love! (I took the pictures under daylight, but my phone can't handle it, so it has the white balance adjusted for pretty true colors.)
image1.jpeg

image0.jpeg
While I'm not ultra educated on Trachies, weren't the two species fused together at some point? The flat bottom is most likely just where it was cut off, often when shops get them in they will cut the bottom flat to keep the coral upright.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys. I added another Trachy this week. When you order a coral online do they sometimes come in bleached out looking The order pic it looked beautuful pink blue and green.

After 4 days it looks the same. Thoughts?

A1DB3E83-2F60-492E-ADA0-7EAD3B0C7D02.jpeg
622A43F1-4DCA-4B9F-B3E3-790A68FDDB0B.jpeg
How is this doing? That is not a Trachyphillia, it's a Cynarina coral. Very nice colors though, it's rare to get them with stripes!

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I'm not ultra educated on Trachies, weren't the two species fused together at some point? The flat bottom is most likely just where it was cut off, often when shops get them in they will cut the bottom flat to keep the coral upright.
Hi! The flat bottom doesn't seem to be cut but rather appears almost exactly like the bottom of a plate coral, with a small tip in the middle of the skeleton. I wonder what species it is?

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! The flat bottom doesn't seem to be cut but rather appears almost exactly like the bottom of a plate coral, with a small tip in the middle of the skeleton. I wonder what species it is?
Ok, that makes more sense then. I'm not too educated on trachies but I would say its' a radiata if the bottom is like that.

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your responses. I am just wondering how it will eventually grow? Anyone have any flat bottomed trachys or confirmed trachy radiatas? I would love to see how the different species grow out!

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Trachy lovers... Just a question. I have a beautiful rainbow piece that was expanding to be huge for quite a while. But now it hasn't for a couple months. It also does not want to eat (it used to be a pig). Not sure what to do. Tissue is not receding, and the color has not dulled. Should I do anything, or just wait it out? The rest of the tank looks the same as usual. No changes have been made. Would a dip help at all, or should I just leave it alone?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey Trachy lovers... Just a question. I have a beautiful rainbow piece that was expanding to be huge for quite a while. But now it hasn't for a couple months. It also does not want to eat (it used to be a pig). Not sure what to do. Tissue is not receding, and the color has not dulled. Should I do anything, or just wait it out? The rest of the tank looks the same as usual. No changes have been made. Would a dip help at all, or should I just leave it alone?
Assure the following aren’t elevated or low :
Alk
Ca
Salinity
Temperature
Phosphate
Nitrate

Add a pouch of chemipure elite which will assure no toxins or phosphate

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not do anything to stress it. May already be stressed. As vetteguy says, just make sure parameters are in range and stable. If it starts to show any other issues, then think about a dip in antibiotics.

Also, make sure no fish are picking at it.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the same thing now and then, one is doing poorly and three others are great. Flow was one issue, moved it to a mild area, and it bounced back.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 78 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.1%
Back