Trident FAQ (official)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i really feel like we should get multiple calibration solutions. or at least be able to buy a big bottle.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for some reason,,, i after having this for a while now i have aquired extra alk testing solution and thus why I would like to test alk lets say 5 times a day not 4.. but if you bump up to 4 you have to bump up the cal and mag testing.. this clearly can be changed with software tweaks .. I would like to have the rep form neptune jump in here... you out there???

ps when I say I have extra.. i have not purchased extra .. i have changed the solutions as ordered to do so by the trident just usage wise it turns out after lets say 8 months i am two bottles ahead on the alk bottles. i have two extras

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wish we could set alk to test more than 4 times a day without having to increase the testing of cal and mag also. Yes I know you can do manual more.. but kinda defeats the purpose.
I agree 100% and my reason for this is I always end up with over half bottle of regent a left at the end have to throw it away anyways

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune... you out there ??? Can we get a software update to allow alk more than 4 times a day without raising the testing numbers times for cal and mag

U

User1

View Badges
Neptune... you out there ??? Can we get a software update to allow alk more than 4 times a day without raising the testing numbers times for cal and mag

Send support a request. Probably easier or via email.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello so I have had my trident for about a year now. Over the past year I have read most the posts on the trident yet I have never seen any comments on what everyone is doing with the waste bottle contents. Every time I empty mine I feel bad pouring it down the drain. I’m not sure if I should be doing this. I did read something about making sure that the fluid is properly disposed of but I never figured out the proper method. I’m wondering how everyone else disposes the left over regents and bottle of waste regent and tank water ? Thanks for all your input

U

User1

View Badges
Hello so I have had my trident for about a year now. Over the past year I have read most the posts on the trident yet I have never seen any comments on what everyone is doing with the waste bottle contents. Every time I empty mine I feel bad pouring it down the drain. I’m not sure if I should be doing this. I did read something about making sure that the fluid is properly disposed of but I never figured out the proper method. I’m wondering how everyone else disposes the left over regents and bottle of waste regent and tank water ? Thanks for all your input

Hmm....

Well I'm in about the same time window as you. About a year now. Mine goes down the utility sink with a good rinse. I do not know what sort of reagents or their compound is made up of nor do I have the MSDS to see. I guess I could send them an email and ask if they share or what they recommend.

But to your question I have been going down the drain :( I guess I'm a bad hobbyist.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy New Year all!

@SuncrestReef if you are around

I am using DOS and Neptune to keep my Alk around 9.
I keep Value at 9
Range at 0.50
Limit at 35%

not sure why but my Alk is steadily declining instead of going up to 9. No other setting is changed. The only thing is changed is I am starting to dose Calcium manually as I want to know what’s my daily calcium consumption before I use DOS.
Any idea why?? I can see that the Alk drips fine into sump (return pump area).
68364B30-9D00-4F68-9F01-B6216A936849.png

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most likely cause is that the DOS base level amount is insufficient to keep up with your coral demand. Even with Trident Controlled Dosing adjusting the amounts, it still relies on you starting with a steady base level and then it can make small adjustments to maintain it. If it starts to drift like you are seeing, it may be time to increase the base level to keep up with demand.

What is your DOS schedule and base amount? And what does the DOS log report for how much it actually dosed in 24 hours?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for some reason,,, i after having this for a while now i have aquired extra alk testing solution and thus why I would like to test alk lets say 5 times a day not 4.. but if you bump up to 4 you have to bump up the cal and mag testing.. this clearly can be changed with software tweaks .. I would like to have the rep form neptune jump in here... you out there???

ps when I say I have extra.. i have not purchased extra .. i have changed the solutions as ordered to do so by the trident just usage wise it turns out after lets say 8 months i am two bottles ahead on the alk bottles. i have two extras
I am having the opposite problem as you are. For me I run out of the Alk solution and have to open a new box. I would like to see them make it so you can do more/less of the alk testing AND also sell the Alk solution separately. At some point I am going to have bottles and bottles of reagent B and C collecting dust

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most likely cause is that the DOS base level amount is insufficient to keep up with your coral demand. Even with Trident Controlled Dosing adjusting the amounts, it still relies on you starting with a steady base level and then it can make small adjustments to maintain it. If it starts to drift like you are seeing, it may be time to increase the base level to keep up with demand.

What is your DOS schedule and base amount? And what does the DOS log report for how much it actually dosed in 24 hours?
I didn’t add new corals recently though.
Base amount is 7ml which was dosed in the amount of 0.1 ml every 20 minutes. But recently, it has shortened to every 18 minutes. In the past three days, it dosed 7.7 ml, 7.7 ml, and 7.8 ml

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When was the last time you calibrated your DOS? While it's reporting 7.8 mL, and you see it dripping into the sump, it's possible it's delivering less than reported. This could be due to inaccurate calibration, a dosing line with a bad seal, or a worn out head.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When was the last time you calibrated your DOS? While it's reporting 7.8 mL, and you see it dripping into the sump, it's possible it's delivering less than reported. This could be due to inaccurate calibration, a dosing line with a bad seal, or a worn out head.
@SuncrestReef about a month ago when I replaced all the reagents? The DOS has been set up less than a year. I am using the dosing line supplied by Neptune and simplicity dosing container.

my control parameters all good?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SuncrestReef about a month ago when I replaced all the reagents? The DOS has been set up less than a year. I am using the dosing line supplied by Neptune and simplicity dosing container.

my control parameters all good?
When you say you calibrated when you last replaced the reagents, are you talking about the Trident or the DOS? I'm recommending you calibrate the DOS to see if it's really delivering the volume of liquid that it's reporting.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say you calibrated when you last replaced the reagents, are you talking about the Trident or the DOS? I'm recommending you calibrate the DOS to see if it's really delivering the volume of liquid that it's reporting.
@SuncrestReef the trident. I calibrated the DOS when I first set it up on nov 6

my calcium number is up and down between 450-490 even if I have not dosed since two days ago. Weird

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SuncrestReef that is a recommendation or mandatory? I see many set the range to 0.5 dkh. Any cons of setting it up at 0.5? I will try to set it to 0.4
Nothing is mandatory, but they recommend a max of 0.4 for the best results.
@SuncrestReef the trident. I calibrated the DOS when I first set it up on nov 6
Even though you recently calibrated the DOS, I still recommend running the calibration simply to rule out the possibility that a line has come loose or a head is faulty and the DOS is inaccurate as a result. Otherwise, we are just guessing at what the problem may be. I'm retired after 30 years of IT work, and I learned the hard way that overlooking the simple things can lead you down incorrect paths when troubleshooting. Rule things out one by one to arrive at a logical solution.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back