Trident FAQ (official)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

bigjgmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so now that the Trident has been released, we wanted to create a new thread with links to the information out there on the Trident as well as answer, to the best of our ability, additional questions from hobbyists. From that feedback, we will update our official FAQ with those questions when it seems like they will be "Frequently Asked."

We hope that this thread can stay on topic, stay productive and also does not devolve with unhelpful posts from those that may have no real interest in the Trident, and whose only desire is to foment unrest.

The Trident goes/went on sale at midnight, PDT, 5/8/2019.

Here are the links:

Launch video: https://bit.ly/2PX0oPm
Product page: https://www.neptunesystems.com/products/expansion-modules/trident/
Official FAQ: https://www.neptunesystems.com/getstarted/trident/faq/
Trident Support Information Page: https://www.neptunesystems.com/getstarted/trident/
Neptune Systems Community Trident Forum: https://forum.neptunesystems.com/forumdisplay.php?84-Trident-Marine-Aquarium-Water-Analyzer
Reagent Ordering: https://www.neptunesystems.com/reagents
5/7 #LetsTalkReef livestream: https://bit.ly/2vOZcEu
5/8 Launch Day Update: https://bit.ly/2WHBKVL

Here are additional questions we have answered already in this thread and, likely, elsewhere.

What is Trident?
Automatic, continuous water tester for alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium.

Do I need an Apex to use a Trident?
Yes

How many tests does Trident perform per day?
The Trident has the option to run as few as 4 test cycles per day up to 24 test cycles per day. The test cycles alternate between testing only alkalinity and testing all three parameters. The 4/2/2 schedule will result in 4 alkalinity tests per day, 2 calcium tests, and 2 magnesium tests.

Can I test more or less than the minimum schedule or in any different combination?
No, the provided schedules are necessary to maintain proper operation.

I don't want to test calcium or magnesium every day, can I turn those tests off?
No. The Trident alternates between testing all 3 (alk, cal, mag) and single alkalinity tests.

Installation

How far from my tank can I place Trident?
The sample line is 5ft and cannot be cut or extended under any circumstances! We suggest keeping the Trident less than 4ft from the tank or sump.

Can I cut or extend the sample line tubing?
The sample line is 5ft and cannot be cut or extended under any circumstances!

Should I place the Trident above my water line? Below?
It can be placed wherever the tube reaches but placing it below the waterline can risk a siphon to occur and drain water from your tank should something disconnect the sample tube.

Reagent Info

How long in between reagent replacement?
Reagents will last 2 months when testing on the 4/2/2 schedule.

What is the reagent shelf-life?
1 year when sealed.

Can the reagents get cold? Hot?
Reagents should be kept at room temperature and not exposed to bright sunlight.

Is there a reagent subscription plan?
It's possible if there is interest - let us know!

Maintenance Info

What do I need to do to maintain Trident?
Besides replacing reagents and letting it calibrate with a standard solution every couple of months, it is suggested to perform service on the Trident roughly every 18-24 months.

Can I perform the servicing myself?
Yes! You will be able to order a maintenance kit for less than $100. We are still determining all of the necessary included components and since this is quite a bit into the future, we want to get it right and not require too much or too little to be done.

Are there other servicing options?
Neptune Systems will offer an advanced replacement servicing option for between $150-$200 - there are not further details at this time.

Do I have to ship my Trident into Neptune Systems for the this servicing?
No! If you decide to service the unit yourself, then you do not have to ship the unit in. If we do the maintenance, there will be an advanced replacement option available - details to be released later. BUT NO DOWN TIME!

Automatic Dosing Control

Can Trident control my dosing pump to keep everything stable?
Yes, when paired with one or many Neptune DOS, the Apex will use the Trident data to safely and intelligently adjust dosing based on recent test results.

Will automatic dosing control work with my 3rd party dosing pump?
The short answer is no. However, since the Trident is providing the testing data back to the Apex, if you have an "on/off" type dosing pump, you could come up with your own dosing programming to use that data in different ways.

How does controlled dosing work?
After each Trident test, The Apex will use the Trident data to update the DOS head linked to each test and make small adjustments to attempt to course-correct and maintain stable parameters. If you typically dose 10ml of alkalinity, enabling controlled dosing will give the Trident the ability to change that dosage by 1-2ml depending on test results. There are safety limits in place to prevent a runaway condition that could harm your tank.

Do I need 2 DOSs to use dosing control?
No. You can choose to activate controlled dosing for a single parameter if you'd like. A single DOS can be used to control alkalinity and calcium, leaving magnesium to be manually dosed, for example.

What happens if Trident controlled dosing isn't working? Will it harm my tank?
Trident controlled dosing is very clever about not dosing too much or too little additive. Controlled dosing is only activated while the test results are within an expected range. If Trident + DOS control results in numbers that aren't staying stable, controlled dosing will temporarily be shut off and you will receive an alert to intervene. Dosing will go back to your baseline dosing value in the interim.

Can I use Trident with my calcium reactor?
At the moment, we don't have a task created to help program direct calcium reactor support, but it can be done through advanced programming. Another method would be to use the calcium reactor for 90% replenishment and use Trident + DOS to dose liquid additives for the remaining 10% of usage. This also adds a bit of redundancy if your calcium reactor ever goes offline.
I've had a Trident for two weeks now and the results are quite impressive. I turned on Trident Controlled Dosing for Alkalinity the day before yesterday instead of dosing over four hours at night. The results are obvious and quite dramatic. Yes it's expensive. Yes you don't need to test Mg (or probably even Ca) every day. That said, I'm a chemist by education and an engineer by profession. From my point of view more data is ALWAYS better than less.

TheKylersFire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trident Pros- knowing your parameters is key to having success. It’s simple to use and set up. In my opinion it’s really not that expensive. I’ll pay easily that much for coral every couple months.

cons- I get a lot of error messages on mine. Maybe 1x every 2-3 weeks. Most of the time I can prime or reset it and it fixes it but in my 12 months of owning one I have had to contact support and they have walked me through disassembling it and clearing hoses etc. not sure if others have had this issue. I also had a hard time getting the reagent recently so hopefully that clears up.

things I didn’t think about- I constantly dose and run auto water changes. You have to run these schedules around your testing schedule to get accurate results. A downside of this has been my DOS is much louder on the auto water change since it window to change water is smaller it has to run faster.

overall great experience. I would never run a tank without one. I think it will only
Get better as it’s a very new piece of tech

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats the hard part.. go to buy the 6 months and by the time I respond to the alert... gone.. have been getting the 2 month supply..

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grabbed my 6 month supply the other day. hopefully the supply will start to match the demand.

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No DDR required.
SaltwaterAquarium.com sells 4 packs of the fittings
Just to confirm the syntax here - the DDR is NOT required to run the trident correct? I am eyeing a trident but the DDR has horrible reviews for a $200 reservoir

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to confirm the syntax here - the DDR is NOT required to run the trident correct? I am eyeing a trident but the DDR has horrible reviews for a $200 reservoir

Correct. DDR is totally unrelated to trident, or trident based dosing.

The DDR serves as a “smart” dosing reservoir, that gives your the quantity of 2-part remaining and a notification when low. It is an optional accessory to the DOS.

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Correct. DDR is totally unrelated to trident, or trident based dosing.

The DDR serves as a “smart” dosing reservoir, that gives your the quantity of 2-part remaining and a notification when low. It is an optional accessory to the DOS.
Great. Love the idea of the DDR, just seems like it could've been built a little better.

aherre07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using some connectors you can "trick" your apex into thinking you have a DDR and use any reservoirs to be smart reservoirs. I use ESV jugs for my containers and I just set the volume of the jugs on my Apex and bam you have a $25 DDR. There is a thread on here on how to make that conversion.

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just go mine, and its still in the box...
What are some trip and tricks to common issues, I have heard of someone with a 3D printed needle holder to use up all of the reagents etc?

BobbyCline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
88A669FD-B847-4A6E-B129-8902D1E494E5.jpeg

Just purchased and installed an Apex and Trident. The initial installation process for the Trident is stuck on step 3 of 5.

Any ideas?

Light went from blue to orange on the Trident.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wish we could set alk to test more than 4 times a day without having to increase the testing of cal and mag also. Yes I know you can do manual more.. but kinda defeats the purpose.

Back