Trident FAQ (official)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Brett. It's working now. How soon did you calibrate it?

Neptune suggests waiting at least 2 days and I did the calibration almost exactly 48 hours in.

The reason to wait is that you only get one shot at calibration because the calibration fluid is only good for 8 hours after you open it, so before you calibrate it you want to give it some time to make sure that the placement of the Trident and the placement of the input tube are both good.

So keep an eye on it for the next two days or so and make sure that your readings are stable. Obviously there might be a little fluctuation from one reading to the next, but if you’re seeing differences of 2dkh then you know that something might be wrong (perhaps your input tube is near a source of micro bubbles)

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Terence Since the bag that contained my calibration solution was wet on the inside, should I assume the fluid is no good since it states to use within 8 hours of opening. I have not opened the bottle to see why it leaked.
I also had some leakage in my calibration fluid bag. Is this a problem? @Terence

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Neptune suggests waiting at least 2 days and I did the calibration almost exactly 48 hours in.

The reason to wait is that you only get one shot at calibration because the calibration fluid is only good for 8 hours after you open it, so before you calibrate it you want to give it some time to make sure that the placement of the Trident and the placement of the input tube are both good.

So keep an eye on it for the next two days or so and make sure that your readings are stable. Obviously there might be a little fluctuation from one reading to the next, but if you’re seeing differences of 2dkh then you know that something might be wrong (perhaps your input tube is near a source of micro bubbles)
Gotcha! Did you have any leakage in your calibration fluid bag? I have a few ml of leakage and was wondering if that would render the fluid void.

RussM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more point of weirdness... after the calibration finished the Apex recorded the parameters of the calibration solution as test results, so now the graph of my tank parameters shows weird spikes where the calibration solution differs from my tank water values.

I would assume that the results from testing the calibration solution as part of the calibration should be suppressed.
Calibration results are supposed to be logged. That's how you can tell that the calibration process completed successfully.

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Russ, any idea if leakage of the calibration fluid in the bag ruins it?

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calibration results are supposed to be logged. That's how you can tell that the calibration process completed successfully.

While I agree that it makes sense to log the calibration and it’s results somewhere (perhaps in the Apex status logs) I don’t think it makes any sense to log them as valid test results and or include them in the graph showing my tanks test history. That graph should only include results taken from my tank’s water or the graph becomes useless. I want to be able to look at the graph at a glance to see the stability of my tank’s parameters and if there’s a random spike from testing the calibration fluid that defeats the purpose.

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha! Did you have any leakage in your calibration fluid bag? I have a few ml of leakage and was wondering if that would render the fluid void.

Mine wasn’t that bad, but there was definitely a bit of moisture in the bag. Additionally when I did open the solution to do the calibration I discovered that the seal that was supposed to cover the top of the bottle was waterlogged and in the cap not sealing anything at all. I went ahead and calibrated anyway, but I did ask the question a few posts up about whether I can trust the results from this calibration or not.

RussM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been assimilated! I just hooked it up and it tests and makes noises and then says "idle" without any test numbers on fusion. Does anyone know what "idle" means?
When you first setup the Trident using the Task in APEX Fusion, the Trident is run through an initialization process... priming of the reagent and sample lines and and it also does a sort of self-test... hence the display of "TESTING". It does not run Alk/Ca/Mg tests during the initial setup process; the first water parameter tests will occur in accordance with the default testing schedule created by the Task, or if you subsequently changed the schedule, per that customized schedule. As others said here, trigger a manual Alk or Combined test if you are (understandably!) impatient and don't want to wait for the next scheduled test(s) to run.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact that the calibration fluid is only good for 8 hours after opening, I would be highly suspect of any unsealed calibration fluid. Hopefully they answer this apparently common problem.

reefwreak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a thought, after setting up my trident...

Is there any risk of the waste liquid staining, crazing, or cracking an acrylic container? I'm using some nice 2 part reservoirs that I had available. I just went through the setup, and didn't notice anything, but hope that the reagent waste doesn't mess with acrylic.

bonomo53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the leakage with the reagents and calibration solution. I also got mine in the latest BRS shipment that arrived to me on Friday.
Trident is running normally and getting consistent results so I'm hesitant to calibrate if the solution is no good.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wonder why no one has answered the question about the leaking calibration fluid - but the answer is already there - the calibration fluid - if it is only good 8 hours after opening - would not be 'as accurate' as if it were not leaking (by definition). Now if the calibration fluid were leaking in a completely sealed packet - that should be a different story.....

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Terence

Could you please clarify if the leaking/unsealed calibration fluid is still ok to use? I’m guessing it’s not.

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder why no one has answered the question about the leaking calibration fluid - but the answer is already there - the calibration fluid - if it is only good 8 hours after opening - would not be 'as accurate' as if it were not leaking (by definition). Now if the calibration fluid were leaking in a completely sealed packet - that should be a different story.....

I think the reason that the question hasn’t been answered yet is because it was asked over the weekend and I’m sure the folks at Neptune weren’t working over the weekend. Now that it’s Monday I would hope that we could get an answer soon.

That said, while my calibration fluid did leak a small amount the cap was still on tight, so I can’t imagine that it was really exposed to a lot of air. I think it’s feasible that the solution is still viable even after the leaking, but it’s also feasible that breaking the seal is enough to make it go bad and it’s not viable. I think we really need an official answer here.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the reason that the question hasn’t been answered yet is because it was asked over the weekend and I’m sure the folks at Neptune weren’t working over the weekend. Now that it’s Monday I would hope that we could get an answer soon.

They were answering other questions over the weekend, just not this FAQ. I'd love to see something like, "We have discovered an issue in our packaging causing reagent containers to leak. Anyone experiencing a leaking container, please contact us and we will mail you a new sealed container asap. We are also making an immediate change to the packaging of our next shipments of Trident to prevent this from happening in the future." ;)

blazeby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They give an update on this at approx. 17:25 in this video from last week:

Hitch08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note: There was an Apex OS update released and a Trident Module update as well. After you update the Apex OS, run the update for the Trident Module.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back