Trident FAQ (official)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I be one of the cool kids now? Haha

7d105148556eaeb009236c8e8a28e520.jpg

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for Trident users and manufacturer.

The unit pulls water from your system via a feed line and pump, thus depositing the needed water sample into a testing chamber. After receiving the sample water, is the feed line purged of remaining water that is in the line thus allowing the next test to be water that is freshly pulled from your system? Or is it much like a doser where the water is trapped in the feed line until the next test?

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for Trident users and manufacturer.

The unit pulls water from your system via a feed line and pump, thus depositing the needed water sample into a testing chamber. After receiving the sample water, is the feed line purged of remaining water that is in the line thus allowing the next test to be water that is freshly pulled from your system? Or is it much like a doser where the water is trapped in the feed line until the next test?

It does purge the line. I believe the purge happens right before the new test, rather than after the last test because leaving water in the line makes it less likely that it will get clogged with salt crystals, but the end result is that you get fresh water for each test. This is one reason why you can’t change the length of the sample tube. It needs to know how much air to push back through the line to purge it.

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does purge the line. I believe the purge happens right before the new test, rather than after the last test because leaving water in the line makes it less likely that it will get clogged with salt crystals, but the end result is that you get fresh water for each test. This is one reason why you can’t change the length of the sample tube. It needs to know how much air to push back through the line to purge it.
So you are limited to where you can place the unit?

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are limited to where you can place the unit?

Yes, definitely. The intake tube is 5 feet long and can’t be extended, so it needs to be within 5 feet of tank water. It can’t be cut either, but obviously you can coil up the extra if you have it closer than that.

The waste tube is also 5 feet long and can’t be cut or extended either, but you can sort of extend the waste tube by putting it in a larger tube with an air gap.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The waste tube is also 5 feet long and can’t be cut or extended either, but you can sort of extend the waste tube by putting it in a larger tube with an air gap.

Are you sure about this - because - this is the same as 'lengthening' the tube - which you supposedly can't do. I mean - you CAN do it - but are you sure its recommended

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure about this - because - this is the same as 'lengthening' the tube - which you supposedly can't do. I mean - you CAN do it - but are you sure its recommended

What Neptune suggests doing and they’ve mentioned on several videos is “putting the end of the waste tube in a larger tube”. What I took that to mean was they wanted the tube just sitting in a larger tube with space for air to get in around it... at that point it really wouldn’t be any different than the tube sticking into the top of a container or even into a drain (I mean technically the drain is just a much longer and much larger tube anyway). They did say that they don’t want you to find a connector and connect the tube to another tube without the air gap.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What Neptune suggests doing and they’ve mentioned on several videos is “putting the end of the waste tube in a larger tube”. What I took that to mean was they wanted to tube just sitting in a larger tube with space for air to get in around it... at that point it really wouldn’t be any different than the tube sticking into the top of a container or even into a drain (I mean technically the drain is just a much longer and much larger tube anyway). They did say that they don’t want you to find a connector and connect the tube to another tube without the air gap.

Right this makes Sense - I thought you meant to put a larger diameter tube via a connector in line with the 5 foot tube

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here’s the response I received from Neptune support regarding the leaking calibration fluid:

Thanks for getting back to us. We are still working through some things on the calibration solution. Fortunately the leaking on the calibration bottle was due to positive pressure so the affect to the standard's parameters will be unaffected. You can use it with confidence and please let us know if you have any further concerns.

Last edited:

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Houston, we have a problem... I just calibrated it and ran a test. Here are my results:
Alk: 6.58
Ca: 462
Mg: 1376

Before I calibrated it, my numbers averaged:
Alk: 8.8-8.9
Ca: 480-495
Mg: 1370

I also just ran an Alk test on my Hanna Checker and it gave me a 8.7 reading. Which numbers should I trust? Pre calibration, post calibration or Hanna? I'm running another alk test as we speak on the Trident and will report back shortly.

Edit: The trident just came back with a 6.6 alk test. I have a funny feeling the calibration fluids have been compromised.

Last edited:

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just received a call from Neptune support and here's what went wrong. I used "6.2" as my calibration dkh as that's what I thought it read on the bottle. Remember, the bottle leaked a bit and as I grabbed it, the "6.2" was blurred as the label got wet and actually should have read 8.2! What's weird is I even took a pic and zoomed in on my phone and it still looked like 6.2! Anyways, I am going to redo the calibration again with the correct 8.2 dkh value and will report back. Thanks for the awesome service, Neptune systems!

Last edited:

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received a call from Neptune support and here's what went wrong. I used 6.2 as my calibration dkh as that's what I thought it read on the bottle. Remember, the bottle leaked a bit and as I grabbed it, the "6.2" was blurred as the label got wet and actually should have read 8.2! What's weird is I even took a pic and zoomed in on my phone and it still looked like 6.2! Anyways, I am going to redo the calibration again with the correct 8.2 dkh value and will report back. Thanks for the awesome service, Neptune systems!

That would do it. Glad you got it resolved.

BigKid4788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Terence - I apologize if this was already asked. I searched and didn't see it. I current run the Triton method and was wondering if I can use the controlled dosing function. I have (2) DOS pump but wasn't sure if I could utilize the function. Triton requires #1, #3a, #3b to be dosed the same to control ALK. #2 controls CA. When I looked into this function, it only allowed me to select 1 of the DOS pumps for ALK. Any direction you can provide would be appreciated. BTW I love the Trident!

RussM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Terence - I apologize if this was already asked. I searched and didn't see it. I current run the Triton method and was wondering if I can use the controlled dosing function. I have (2) DOS pump but wasn't sure if I could utilize the function. Triton requires #1, #3a, #3b to be dosed the same to control ALK. #2 controls CA. When I looked into this function, it only allowed me to select 1 of the DOS pumps for ALK. Any direction you can provide would be appreciated. BTW I love the Trident!
Yes, you can. You can run the Controlled Dosing Task once for for each desired DOS pump; just select Alk for each.

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have everything set up and running.... after fixing it first! One of the tubes connected to the black manifold in the center was disconnected (clear tube at about 2 o'clock position) and there was a bluish liquid leaking from under the Trident. I was getting an error of "NO WATER SAMPLE" above the tile in Fusion. Connected the line back to the pipe stub and then the testing proceeded, ran a combined test and the N was blue and then turned orange (normal right?) however no results were populated even after logging out and back into Fusion? In the Troubleshooting Section I see mention of red error condition light, is this light on the Trident itself or is it referring to the red error message over the tile? Running a single ALK test now and the value was populated as soon as the N turned back to orange, however the first combined test results including Ca and Mg have still not populated. Is there something Im missing here?

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have everything set up and running.... after fixing it first! One of the tubes connected to the black manifold in the center was disconnected (clear tube at about 2 o'clock position) and there was a bluish liquid leaking from under the Trident. I was getting an error of "NO WATER SAMPLE" above the tile in Fusion. Connected the line back to the pipe stub and then the testing proceeded, ran a combined test and the N was blue and then turned orange (normal right?) however no results were populated even after logging out and back into Fusion? In the Troubleshooting Section I see mention of red error condition light, is this light on the Trident itself or is it referring to the red error message over the tile? Running a single ALK test now and the value was populated as soon as the N turned back to orange, however the first combined test results including Ca and Mg have still not populated. Is there something Im missing here?

So this A.M. the Trident tile is populated after the automated testing point. No errors were ever reported during the forced tests but the Tri-tile failed to auto-populate. All looks OK now.

reefwreak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 days in, and I'm loving my Trident. I'm somewhat frustrated by being locked into the 12/6/12/6 hours, as I'm never actually available at any of those hours to compare testing (sleep/sleep/work/work), so I hope to have the ability to change the hours of the testing in the future, but at least I'm up and running, and the alkalinity is in the ballpark of what I'd expect. The calcium I'm surprised by because my salifert hasn't registered under 500 in 6 months, so I need to compare to another test kit and re-test in line with the Trident.

Something else I learned that I wasn't really aware of (because I didn't need to be in 2 years), was how great Neptune support really is. I had an issue with the Trident when it arrived, it was taken care of by both BRS and Neptune with speed, efficiency, and pleasant demeanor, and then I had an issue last night, called 25 minutes before they closed, and they helped me diagnose the user-error problem without any hesitation and were super friendly and knowledgeable about their products, and we found a quick solution.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
5 days in, and I'm loving my Trident. I'm somewhat frustrated by being locked into the 12/6/12/6 hours, as I'm never actually available at any of those hours to compare testing (sleep/sleep/work/work), so I hope to have the ability to change the hours of the testing in the future, but at least I'm up and running, and the alkalinity is in the ballpark of what I'd expect. The calcium I'm surprised by because my salifert hasn't registered under 500 in 6 months, so I need to compare to another test kit and re-test in line with the Trident.

Something else I learned that I wasn't really aware of (because I didn't need to be in 2 years), was how great Neptune support really is. I had an issue with the Trident when it arrived, it was taken care of by both BRS and Neptune with speed, efficiency, and pleasant demeanor, and then I had an issue last night, called 25 minutes before they closed, and they helped me diagnose the user-error problem without any hesitation and were super friendly and knowledgeable about their products, and we found a quick solution.

Cant you do a manual test anytime? (If you want to compare)

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Terence it looks like there are still leaking issues. I ordered a reagent kit from Neptune that was shipped on the 11th and just arrived today. The reagent bags were dry, but the calibration solution had a lot of drips in the bag.

6779e11fa4657a7088a202486cbcf91b.jpg

Back