Trident FAQ

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, how can you blame the DOS for bubbles when it is solid tubing- a peristaltic system? The only connections are the ones YOU MAKE. If you fail to seal said connections, yes, you will get bubbles ;)

It leaks around the head. I've worked with Neptune to fix it. I put the tube up flush with the connections, tighten all the way, it does fine for awhile and then after 3 or 4 days starts to leak bubbles.

Not nice to assume someone is stupid when you reply. Very rude.

ryboy707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Neptune and have had success with many of their products, but it does seem they have hit a wall with this technology and haven’t found a solution. I think I’ll be ordering the alkatronic also

Chris155hp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Neptune and have had success with many of their products, but it does seem they have hit a wall with this technology and haven’t found a solution. I think I’ll be ordering the alkatronic also

I think what’s causing them the most “damage” and loss of sales from people going to other products as they don’t give any real updates other then we’re working on it. They could just as easily say a small update every week or even every other week on what current challenges they are attacking would keep people much more likely to wait instead of jumping ship

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this but no info on price or when. We have a little more than that now from Neptune in at least we have a price range at least. I agree that the lack of updating is frustrating. I am still holding out for the product, off to buy more reagent for my Hanna checker lol

what i trying to say is it is not just monitoring but instead the reactive dosing after that some thing like Alkatronic. Apex seems to be just measuring but the competition is dosing when it comes out to the market. At least for Jonas, he announced that he will be coming out with the product and shortly after the product is out.

mr9iron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m excited about the Trident and am glad Neptune is taking the time to work out the bugs as best they can. I don’t think people should be so upset with the fact that they are trying to put out another great product.

I think by them doing it this way it saves on all of the future complaints about how it “sucks” and was a “waste of money”.

Give it time and it will be another quality product that they have become known for.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what’s causing them the most “damage” and loss of sales from people going to other products as they don’t give any real updates other then we’re working on it. They could just as easily say a small update every week or even every other week on what current challenges they are attacking would keep people much more likely to wait instead of jumping ship
I think the most damage is that they told us a date told us to upgrade our apex’s and then when the date came they released the head unit they were not going to sell stand alone. I have said it many times over and over again neptune did this to themselves. And a lot of people have gone different routes instead and with me being one of them I do not think I will buy the trident now that I have the KHG. I’m sure most alktronic users will agree with that as well. In fact once u run an alk monitor and you have everything set perfect I have seen a couple people sell the alk monitors as it doesn’t really change.

If they released updates every week I don’t think it would help what can they say? We’re still working on it? Because I’m sure they are and I’m sure it will be a decent product whenever it comes out.

But since they first announced it nothing they have said came to fruition like they thought. So what if the biggest promblem is getting the product in the 5-600 dollar range? And it can’t be done.

What would everyone who is waiting for it do if they came back and told us it is now going to be 900-1000 dollars?

I don’t know it just seems so shady that I wouldn’t doubt it. And I think the plan two Macnas ago was to get people to buy the new apex and they were using the Idea of the trident for that. And a majority of the people out there went and got the new apex. And are still swearing by this product why wouldn’t Neptune bump up the price when all they see online is people singing the tridents praises when we have seen nothing come true from what Terrance has said about it.

I mean every excuse they have used for why the trident isn’t out now can be used for a price hike as well

I can see it now
Technology isn’t cheap and we tried really hard to get it in the 5-600 dollar price range but we have found out it is just not feasible we wanted to give our control freaks the best bang for the money and in order to do that we had to buy a more expensive blah blah blah....we are not just monitoring Alk we are monitoring the big three and for the price of our competitions alk monitors you will get all of this. I know we told you guys it will be in the 5-600 dollar range but it just couldn’t be done and all I can say is I’m sorry.

Just another conspiracy theory from me

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding "just measuring" vs reactive dosing with competing products and Neptune, does anyone have experience or knowledge of what fail safes are in place to prevent over or under dosing due to test error or other failure? I have to imagine there will at some point be a flawed test in any of these units. What is preventing the unit from adjusting the dose to an errant test?Without a VERY good answer to this that includes multiple failsafe features I could never trust these units to reactive dosing. I think Neptune is right to only provide monitoring until they can provide a reactive dosing setup with near zero risk of failure. Needless to say I will be using a monitor only and adjust dosing manually.

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding "just measuring" vs reactive dosing with competing products and Neptune, does anyone have experience or knowledge of what fail safes are in place to prevent over or under dosing due to test error or other failure? I have to imagine there will at some point be a flawed test in any of these units. What is preventing the unit from adjusting the dose to an errant test?Without a VERY good answer to this that includes multiple failsafe features I could never trust these units to reactive dosing. I think Neptune is right to only provide monitoring until they can provide a reactive dosing setup with near zero risk of failure. Needless to say I will be using a monitor only and adjust dosing manually.
Not sure about the other monitors but the Alkatronic will redo a test if it falls out of a .2dKH change to the previous test, just to make sure the result is correct, prior to doing any dosing. We're also talking about dosing specific amounts that will only change the dKH to go back within a setpoint, so other than a complete failure of the system, it'll never dose more than needed to get within a certain set of parameters.

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well
I think the most damage is that they told us a date told us to upgrade our apex’s and then when the date came they released the head unit they were not going to sell stand alone. I have said it many times over and over again neptune did this to themselves. And a lot of people have gone different routes instead and with me being one of them I do not think I will buy the trident now that I have the KHG. I’m sure most alktronic users will agree with that as well. In fact once u run an alk monitor and you have everything set perfect I have seen a couple people sell the alk monitors as it doesn’t really change.

If they released updates every week I don’t think it would help what can they say? We’re still working on it? Because I’m sure they are and I’m sure it will be a decent product whenever it comes out.

But since they first announced it nothing they have said came to fruition like they thought. So what if the biggest promblem is getting the product in the 5-600 dollar range? And it can’t be done.

What would everyone who is waiting for it do if they came back and told us it is now going to be 900-1000 dollars?

I don’t know it just seems so shady that I wouldn’t doubt it. And I think the plan two Macnas ago was to get people to buy the new apex and they were using the Idea of the trident for that. And a majority of the people out there went and got the new apex. And are still swearing by this product why wouldn’t Neptune bump up the price when all they see online is people singing the tridents praises when we have seen nothing come true from what Terrance has said about it.

I mean every excuse they have used for why the trident isn’t out now can be used for a price hike as well

I can see it now
Technology isn’t cheap and we tried really hard to get it in the 5-600 dollar price range but we have found out it is just not feasible we wanted to give our control freaks the best bang for the money and in order to do that we had to buy a more expensive blah blah blah....we are not just monitoring Alk we are monitoring the big three and for the price of our competitions alk monitors you will get all of this. I know we told you guys it will be in the 5-600 dollar range but it just couldn’t be done and all I can say is I’m sorry.

Just another conspiracy theory from me
it will be $600 in 2016 dollars lol

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the other monitors but the Alkatronic will redo a test if it falls out of a .2dKH change to the previous test, just to make sure the result is correct, prior to doing any dosing. We're also talking about dosing specific amounts that will only change the dKH to go back within a setpoint, so other than a complete failure of the system, it'll never dose more than needed to get within a certain set of parameters.

But if the probe breaks for example, it would just confirm the errant reading and adjust dosage, no? Is there maybe a daily maximum change that you can set?

I'm thinking building the unit with two independent probes (that have to agree with one another - otherwise dose just stays constant and reports an error) would give me more comfort.

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As sarcastic as I have become I am confident that Neptune will write proper fail safes into the suggested code for the product, and we will have the option to set whatever limits we desire. A fault that suspends the DOS from doing its thing if the Alk changes by more than X would be easy to program. I'm sure there will be a way to suspend changing the dose and continue the old one under certain situations also.

On another note what will we all do with our spare time we used to spend testing and complaining in these threads when the Trident does come out and is awesome??

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But if the probe breaks for example, it would just confirm the errant reading and adjust dosage, no? Is there maybe a daily maximum change that you can set?

I'm thinking building the unit with two independent probes (that have to agree with one another - otherwise dose just stays constant and reports an error) would give me more comfort.
You can just go ask them on facebook and get a quick answer, likely from the designer Jonas, but obviously the test results are only as good as the probe and the reagent, no matter which of these units you decide to go with. I imagine you could potentially just use the Alkatronic as a feedback loop to the Apex and control dosing via the apex, and set whatever limits you wish so that if there is some sort of weirdness with the testing unit, your controls would take over. I personally use a CaRx with my Alkatronic and just control the co2 with the Apex via the PM2 connection to the Alkatronic. I have my CaRx mostly tuned to run all the time - the Apex just steps in if Alk gets too high by shutting down CO2. I imagine you would dial in your daily doses the same way, and only react - whether it's automated or via an alert - when you want it to.

I will say that the Alkatronic is quite reliable in the fact it will do multiple tests if it finds an issue, as well as will retest on a shorter increments if you get stuck out of your set boundaries which are predefined as a "safe zone."

Reactions: CMO

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can not speak for the fail safes In the trident but I’m sure it will have them

But I would use it like I use the KHG
Have alerts if the dkh goes out of my “zone”
I would never let a machine blindly dose for me without me telling it to do so

I would use the machine to better run my tank

Every night at ten I have it test my water and I adjust my dosing from there if it is .2 dkh lower I will raise my dosing if it is above I’ll lower it if it .1 higher or lower I leave it

Once everything is dialed in alk doesn’t jump up or down as crazy as you would think unless a dosing pimp gets stuck or shuts off or a calcium reactor goes bonkers(I don’t have one so I don’t know what could go wrong)

I guess if you don’t have an alk monitor it’s hard to see and understand

Are you guys trying slash think to have the trident dose exactly what the tank uses?

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can not speak for the fail safes In the trident but I’m sure it will have them

But I would use it like I use the KHG
Have alerts if the dkh goes out of my “zone”
I would never let a machine blindly dose for me without me telling it to do so

I would use the machine to better run my tank

Every night at ten I have it test my water and I adjust my dosing from there if it is .2 dkh lower I will raise my dosing if it is above I’ll lower it if it .1 higher or lower I leave it

Once everything is dialed in alk doesn’t jump up or down as crazy as you would think unless a dosing pimp gets stuck or shuts off or a calcium reactor goes bonkers(I don’t have one so I don’t know what could go wrong)

I guess if you don’t have an alk monitor it’s hard to see and understand

Are you guys trying slash think to have the trident dose exactly what the tank uses?

So you're using it as a monitor only if I follow which doesn't really require as strict of fail safes IMO (since I'll just compare any odd reading against a hanna checker before adjusting dose). That is how I plan to use it as well unless Neptune provides detailed info on their reactive dosing fail safe programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back