Trident FAQ

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Terence, is there any chance you guys might make a Apex brain/Trident combo package? I know myself and many other classic users would be interested in such an upgrade option. I do understand you guys aren't planning to sell the brain by itself anytime soon, so that's not what I'm asking. My hope is that there may be some option for classic owners that doesn't involve unnecessarily buying a whole new Apex system (which no doubt will be prohibitive for many of us)--something like a Trident bundle for classic owners.

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you see this being installed specifically? On top of a sump? If it's on the floor next to a sump, any issues with siphoning/back siphoning?

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As indicated...the first thing to do is gather data....because by the time you figure out what to do with it, you already have some past history to move forward with actions. This is a bit of money to a guy like me, but I have to admit that it's sounding very tempting. Maybe I should start rat-holing some money.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Read the FAQ - specifically the line "This may happen down the road".
I did read that. Based on the rest of the statement, I was gathering that there are no current plans for selling the brain by itself, but maybe at some undisclosed future date this might be a possibility...perhaps (which is why I raised the question of the possibility of a brain/trident bundle). Should I build more hope on it than that? :)

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these available for insiders yet? How are we chosen? When can I test this bad boy?!

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these available for insiders yet? How are we chosen? When can I test this bad boy?!
While the current NSI group is closed, there will likely be a "call for new NSI members" that will happen in the not too distant future. To be considered for NSI for the Trident, applicants would have to be already using the latest Apex.

frenchie01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this going to be available in the uk at the same time as the us or are we going to waiting on this like the new eb6 (nonexistent)?

clsanchez77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is more to longevity than how long they last in the bottles. I gave the value above that we think will hold up. If it gets stretched more than that, at this point, we don't know the impact.

As far as cost, you are comparing testing by hand to testing in an automated sense. I do not think this is a fair comparison. If you want to test your tank once a week to save a few dollars, then I would stick to manual testing. The Trident is intended to give an incredible amount of ongoing feedback so that you can manage your tank more closely, create better balance through dosing, check for dosing impact, water change impact, etc. we don't even know all the positive things we can do with this kind of data yet.

As far as the Apex Base Unit. Please see above for the reasoning.

Terrance, that is a very honest statement. I really applaud Apex for this breakthrough. I personally won't be purchasing the device. For one, I'm still on the Classic and just am not convinced that the New Apex is a necessary upgrade at this time. Secondly, I just do not have a desire to need to know Alk, Ca & Mg on a daily or semi-daily interval. Having said that, as an engineer - and a long time hobbyist - I greatly appreciate what you all have pulled off and this product fills a niche that has been screaming for a reasonably priced product for many years...Apex Answered!

Just thinking back, I have been with Neptune since the old Aquacontroller days and Neptune as come such a long way!

Great Work!

jisherwood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks like those of us running Classic versions are just going to have to wait. Unless of course they open upa testing group for classic user. If so please hook me up I willing to test till the cows come home. What ever it takes put me on the list. :cool:

Wes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This type of automation at last years macna was one of the most exciting things to come to the hobby in a while for me. This advancement makes it even better, nice to see that neptune has jumped all in and then some. While I wasn't impressed by what the new apex does to justify the upgrade this might make it worthwhile. I do agree though, a triton and brain combo would be very appealing. Something to consider as it's not exactly stand alone. Also, is there any plan to offer a three pump doser anytime in the near future to go along with this? It would be nice for the three parameters from the triton to be able to be dosed with a single doser. This could make for another nice package of a triton, brain, and triple doser.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this has nothing to do with Jim Welsh's device that worked on a Apex Classic then... It's surely a commercial decision, which is fine but disappointing.
Jim's device was a standalone device. It connected to the Apex via it's pH port. The Trident uses much of the same methods and algorithms as Jim's design but it does not share the same hardware and of course it does three times as many parameters. One should think of Jim's device as proof of concept and not something that was designed for the market.

Az reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Terence Will the Trident be able to talk with the apex and Dos? Ie, alk tests lower than your targeted range and tells your dos to add solution? Thanks!!!

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the current NSI group is closed, there will likely be a "call for new NSI members" that will happen in the not too distant future. To be considered for NSI for the Trident, applicants would have to be already using the latest Apex.

Registered a while ago - ready and waiting! Using all the new swag!

jrose323

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My interest is in the water removal. If all three tests use 15ml of water, it's safe to say that is 5ml per test. At 4 Alkalinity tests and 2 Calcium & Mag tests per day; that's 40ml of water total per day. Assuming you do weekly water changes (Some of us dont), that is a little over 1.1 cups of water removed weekly. With an auto-top off system in place, this would dilute your specific gravity over a period of time since the 1.1 cups are being replaced with RODI water. For the control freaks, I would think we would need a salt water feed to dump salt water in as replacements (Especially for those that dont do water changes). Maybe im overthinking it and the swings could be minute (Especially on a much larger water volume system).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 18 32.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back