Triggerfish not eating

SnoQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a male Crosshatch trigger that decided to just stop eating a couple of weeks ago. It went through QT months ago including 2.5 months of hypo-salinity with a month long treatment of Paraguard and 2 week treatment of medicated food with praziquantel and metronidazole. There are no signs of disease on him or any of the other fish in the tank which have similarly been QT’d. Water parameters are all good.

He has always been a strong eater. He would still seem excited about food and go after it, but then spit it out. Now be shows little interest. I use frozen LRS and lately have been adding Selco since that’s what got him eating when I first brought him home. Today I even put a clove of garlic in the food to let it soak in some of the flavor (I didn’t leave any pieces of garlic actually in it). He took a little nibble and spit it out.

I’m at a loss as to what else to try. I don’t think he’ll make it another week if he doesn’t eat. Any thoughts?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a male Crosshatch trigger that decided to just stop eating a couple of weeks ago. It went through QT months ago including 2/12 months of hypo-salinity with a month long treatment of Paraguard and 2 week treatment of medicated food with praziquantel and metronidazole. There are no signs of disease on him or any of the other fish in the tank. Water parameters are all good.

He has always been a strong eater. He would still seem excited about food and go after it, but then spit it out. I use frozen LRS and lately have been adding Selco since that’s what got him eating when I first brought him home. Today I even put a clove of garlic in the food to let it soak in some of the flavor (I didn’t leave any pieces of garlic actually in it). He took a little nibble and spit it out.

I’m at a loss as to what else to try. I don’t think he’ll make it another week if he doesn’t eat. Any thoughts?

Any sign of illness? White stringy poop? Pinched stomach? Did you just switch to LRS when stopped eating?

OP
OP
SnoQ

SnoQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No stringy poop but it’s stomach does look sunken in along the bottom. That’s been gradual with the not eating. I tried medicated food again even though all the fish received the medicated food during QT but it wouldn’t eat it. I saw a video where someone took their fish out of the tank and put an eye dropper of medication direct into the stomach. I’m at the point where I’d consider that because I don’t want to lose the fish, but I don’t want to do harm if that’s not likely the issue.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the troubles

Have you tried some other foods. I’m thinking maybe some black worms if you have access or live brine. Maybe a few slices off of a frozen clam. Something meaty may help.

OP
OP
SnoQ

SnoQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried every live food and while he showed some interest in the ghost shrimp, he didn’t eat it and died this weekend. :(

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same issue with clown trigger. I got him very small and he has doubled in size to a little over 3" in 3 months. Eating like a pig. Now just looks at the food. Eats a few bites here and there, nothing like before. I did start feeding frozen shrimp from fish market and black worms a few weeks ago. In with tangs, clowns, wrasses, angels. he is the only one not eating.

Any insight appreciated.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same issue with clown trigger. I got him very small and he has doubled in size to a little over 3" in 3 months. Eating like a pig. Now just looks at the food. Eats a few bites here and there, nothing like before. I did start feeding frozen shrimp from fish market and black worms a few weeks ago. In with tangs, clowns, wrasses, angels. he is the only one not eating.

Any insight appreciated.

Can you start a new thread for your fish? It helps to avoid confusion when people respond. Start by reposting what you have here, plus water quality parameters and a picture of the trigger.

Thanks,

Jay

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back