Triton Core 7 Unavailable

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Del’s Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone have news about the availability of core 7 in the 10 litre jug size?

i'm about 1/2 way thru my 1st set, and can only find the 1000ml bottles when available.
Unique Corals had the 10L in stock for about 2 weeks. They’re now sold out, but Tim stated another shipment should be arriving in early May.

clover128

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And how, in the whole world, you guarantee that you have the right blend of trace elements if you mix and sell it in powder form. The only way to ensure that each package contains just the amount of different substances it is supposed to mix and deliver in liquid form. To evenly mix 1 microgram of a substance with 1 kg of other dry matter substances is impossible. However, doing it in disolved form is possible.

Delivering the mixtures as a solution is a way to ensure that we get exactly what we expect. It is called quality assurance.

Sincerely Lasse

How do you guarantee? Whatever the size packaged unit of dry mix(sugar packet size, 1/16cup, 1/2cup, etc) - the entire unit would have to be rehydrated at once. Pretty simply in that reguard. Now in terms of the rehydration process, that’s something else. But “if” that could be done, dry mix would be a much better way to deliver.

I suspect you can’t mix it that easily though. Bummer.

Someone mentioned they were glad about ease of use of premixed liquid supplements. I agree,but thats all out the window if there is no stock available.

I’m holding off on doing a new triton build precisely because of supply issues. They need to get it worked out and proven before I take a swan dive into an empty pool!!! [emoji12]

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So first I hope people know I’m not putting anything down etc, the main reason I’m posting this is I simply don’t know.

From reading this thread, as well as the other links etc, what is the point of doing this Triton thing? It seems more of a hassle than it’s worth. This isn’t to say, this isn’t the typical norm for most things. The only difference I see is that live animals are involved here.

Now, I’m sure the Triton company does its best etc to not run out of stock etc. I’m sure that this was never planned, and they try to make corrections. But, given the fact they did run out, what is one to do, if none of those sources are available? Can one just go back to the normal method of dosing alk, cal, etc? What do people have in place that use this method, if they run out and or they are not available any more?

In the time that I have had a reef system, and I’m the times that I have volunteered for several aquariums, not one of them has ever used this method. I’m curious as to why, (maybe it’s super new, etc) again please note not putting down but simply asking is all. I dose my tank every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday after I have a conducted water test. Now is my way better, or worse, heck I have no clue lol. However, my tank inhabitants thrive, and do very well. I will say my way is more time consuming probably, but in true form I haven’t ever tried any other way. I have a hard time trusting dosing machines, and others simply because things can go wrong. As most will point out, what way is there that can’t go wrong? Even my manual dosing, I very easily could mess up and oops.

The other reason is I am going to be setting up a 400 tank soon. So like I said it’s more of asking then anything, I am one who, lol if it works and works well don’t change it.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse hey it’s sooo awesome to see you back, and I hope things are awesome. I’m sure we all missed you, (I did for sure). Thanks for the information as always. :)

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So first I hope people know I’m not putting anything down etc, the main reason I’m posting this is I simply don’t know.

From reading this thread, as well as the other links etc, what is the point of doing this Triton thing? It seems more of a hassle than it’s worth. This isn’t to say, this isn’t the typical norm for most things. The only difference I see is that live animals are involved here.

Now, I’m sure the Triton company does its best etc to not run out of stock etc. I’m sure that this was never planned, and they try to make corrections. But, given the fact they did run out, what is one to do, if none of those sources are available? Can one just go back to the normal method of dosing alk, cal, etc? What do people have in place that use this method, if they run out and or they are not available any more?

In the time that I have had a reef system, and I’m the times that I have volunteered for several aquariums, not one of them has ever used this method. I’m curious as to why, (maybe it’s super new, etc) again please note not putting down but simply asking is all. I dose my tank every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday after I have a conducted water test. Now is my way better, or worse, heck I have no clue lol. However, my tank inhabitants thrive, and do very well. I will say my way is more time consuming probably, but in true form I haven’t ever tried any other way. I have a hard time trusting dosing machines, and others simply because things can go wrong. As most will point out, what way is there that can’t go wrong? Even my manual dosing, I very easily could mess up and oops.

The other reason is I am going to be setting up a 400 tank soon. So like I said it’s more of asking then anything, I am one who, lol if it works and works well don’t change it.

Well, as someone deep into the hobby 10 years ago and just now getting back into it, I can say that Triton has made my reef keeping experience much simpler and more enjoyable. I've been running Triton for about 4 months now from the start of my new tank having done only 1 water change post cycle. My water parameters have remained nearly perfect to date with Triton dosing and I have several SPS corals already growing in a pretty new system. Trition is simply a method of replacing elements in a balanced ratio to maintain NSW parameters without water changes. With Trition you simply manage dosing to target ALK of 7-8 dkh and the formulas should keep the rest in check (so far so good for me).

If they ever run out of base elements again I imagine i would run Triton other methods (supplements) and just dose iron and iodine as needed (which is the difference between the two from what I gather), or worst case switch to ATI if its a long term thing.

Last edited:

Tim2@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@clover128 supply issues are in the past. Any retailer in the USA that wants to stock Triton products can place an order today to get stock.

@Sarah24! The system is quite simple really. Broadly speaking; you dose calcium magnesium and alkalinity just like any other system. The difference being that the elements are very pure and do not build up contaminants that necessitate a water change; which is for most reefers a hassle. You rely on algae to uptake nutrients which has been done since the 70's in public aquariums. There are subtle differences like sump baffles, turnover rates, and not including a filter sock, but they are not as critical to the success of the reef as testing and observation, which ICP-OES analysis makes quite easy. I manually dosed my Triton reef daily for the first few months as I decided on which dosing system to invest in.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tim2@Triton, I’m confused by your last bit of information. Most people don’t do water changes because of contaminates from dosing alk, cal, etc, they do water changes because of the animals biological waste. The ocean naturally cleans the water by aka waves and the beach basically lol among other things. We usually dose because the trace elements are depleted by the animals, and they produce waste (animals).

How are your elements producing or reproducing natural salt water. The reason I ask this is because not all salt water is a consistent mixture, even in the ocean. An example is the salt water near Cairns by the barrier reef, differs somewhat then the saltwater at the Belize reef? Did you take samples through out regions of the area to get an idea? Granted mixing instant ocean, and pro salt etc may not be any better but again simply asking because this is new to me, (well the method is).

Tim2@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sarah24! My statement was that Core7 supplements do not contain undesirable contaminants that will build up and necessitate a water change. Many reefers have maintained very low organic loads but still saw their tanks suffer with a lack of water changes. There are two major reasons people do water changes, to dilute contaminants and to replace depleted minerals. Contaminants can be built up organics like nitrate and phosphate, or metals, like lithium, tin, lead, nickel, vanadium, etc.. Over the years, lots of reefers have managed to maintain low organic build up via refugiums and other forms of phytoremediation, and through the various methods of carbon dosing but still have metal build ups that necessitate a partial water change. Only after Triton introduced ICP-OES testing of aquarium water were home reefers equipped to see these metal contaminant build ups. When magnesium supplements have unlisted lithium contaminants, the lithium builds up and must be removed to get back to NSW conditions. Same thing goes with KH buffers with borate salts in them. Blindly dosing trace element blends of unknown makeup is also a common cause of trace element imbalance. With ICP-OES testing you can see what metals are in abundance or deficient and act accordingly, instead of blindly performing a monthly 50% water change.

I agree that water is not consistant on every reef, that is why Triton went to the edges of the earth to sample water from different reefs. https://reefbuilders.com/2015/08/05/tracked-purple-monster-acro-original-source/#
in this Reefbuilders article you'll see me taking samples from the Solomon Islands. We've taken samples from all over Indonesia, and the Great Barrier Reef.

@clover128 I'll check in with them immediately, thanks!

Del’s Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you guarantee? Whatever the size packaged unit of dry mix(sugar packet size, 1/16cup, 1/2cup, etc) - the entire unit would have to be rehydrated at once. Pretty simply in that reguard. Now in terms of the rehydration process, that’s something else. But “if” that could be done, dry mix would be a much better way to deliver.

I suspect you can’t mix it that easily though. Bummer.

Someone mentioned they were glad about ease of use of premixed liquid supplements. I agree,but thats all out the window if there is no stock available.

I’m holding off on doing a new triton build precisely because of supply issues. They need to get it worked out and proven before I take a swan dive into an empty pool!!! [emoji12]
Bingo. I have a new build that’s waiting until I see a 6 month supply that’s not interrupted. Sure I could buy a huge bulk, but with everything else I’ve sunk income into, can’t really do that.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a saying here in Sweden: Om inte om hade funnits så hade gumman skjutet gubben med kvastskaftet (something like : If it not was for if - the old woman would shot the old man with the broom handle)
In this case - if really exist - you can´t in a practical way guarantee the quality with using dry mixes - that´s the reason why many batches of commercial salt can vary from each other according to the content of different compounds. Triton Pure 2.0 solve this problem - the major contents is dry but allt traces is in liquid form - and its divided in batches of 50 litres. However it is not a cheap solution for regular WC.

As Tim said - with the ICP-OES test we can get an idea if there is problem with heavy metals and other pollutants. The organic pollutants we can handle with other methods but we have to adress other pollutants. I will have some angry people on me with the following statement - sometimes - I have a feeling that impure salts (caused by bad mixing of dry substances) and additives often is the reason why we get some pollutants in our water. To make as small (and spare) WC as possible solve rather much of that problem IMO.

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, your post has a very derogatory tone. What I believe Tim is saying is that with a fuge of less than 10% the full triton core 7 base elements may not be fully consumed by the algea, thereby potentially leading to a buildup of unused elements. This does not fully negate the idea of the triton method, however, just means that an additional or alternative form of nutrient export may be needed (which may include an undersized algae fuge) and supplements that are better balanced for a smaller algea fuge. And for what's it's worth, I am one of the many who received leaking containers and don't see dry mix as the answer like you suggest - I'm very happy with the ease of use of the pre-mixed core 7.

Each of your posts have a derogatory tone as well. The bottom line is that there is contradictory information being said by the company in an attempt to fix a problem. The other poster was just saying 'admit you didnt anticipate the demand' and move forward. Again - the fallacy here is that these are just 'supplements' there is no magic - despite what some want to believe. In the end each method uses the same chemicals...

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@clover128 supply issues are in the past. Any retailer in the USA that wants to stock Triton products can place an order today to get stock.

@Sarah24! The system is quite simple really. Broadly speaking; you dose calcium magnesium and alkalinity just like any other system. The difference being that the elements are very pure and do not build up contaminants that necessitate a water change; which is for most reefers a hassle. You rely on algae to uptake nutrients which has been done since the 70's in public aquariums. There are subtle differences like sump baffles, turnover rates, and not including a filter sock, but they are not as critical to the success of the reef as testing and observation, which ICP-OES analysis makes quite easy. I manually dosed my Triton reef daily for the first few months as I decided on which dosing system to invest in.

in other words there is no difference. Unless you have some proof that all of the other supplements out there that dose Ca/Mg/Alk have contaminants. ?

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a saying here in Sweden: Om inte om hade funnits så hade gumman skjutet gubben med kvastskaftet (something like : If it not was for if - the old woman would shot the old man with the broom handle)
In this case - if really exist - you can´t in a practical way guarantee the quality with using dry mixes - that´s the reason why many batches of commercial salt can vary from each other according to the content of different compounds. Triton Pure 2.0 solve this problem - the major contents is dry but allt traces is in liquid form - and its divided in batches of 50 litres. However it is not a cheap solution for regular WC.

As Tim said - with the ICP-OES test we can get an idea if there is problem with heavy metals and other pollutants. The organic pollutants we can handle with other methods but we have to adress other pollutants. I will have some angry people on me with the following statement - sometimes - I have a feeling that impure salts (caused by bad mixing of dry substances) and additives often is the reason why we get some pollutants in our water. To make as small (and spare) WC as possible solve rather much of that problem IMO.

Sincerely Lasse

I'm not sure the translation works on that one Lasse :) (I think I need more coffee). But I agree. Some other things to point out about powders is that they often contain anti-caking agents. Many salts also do (the residue you often find after hours of mixing some salts).

Core7 is also extremely concentrated. Whether this is an advantage or disadvantage in every situation is up for debate, however the process used to get it to that concentration is what makes the difference between the core7 and the older base elements. You can't replicate that at home, mixing salts.

Each of your posts have a derogatory tone as well. The bottom line is that there is contradictory information being said by the company in an attempt to fix a problem. The other poster was just saying 'admit you didnt anticipate the demand' and move forward. Again - the fallacy here is that these are just 'supplements' there is no magic - despite what some want to believe. In the end each method uses the same chemicals...

in other words there is no difference. Unless you have some proof that all of the other supplements out there that dose Ca/Mg/Alk have contaminants. ?

AFAIK, and correct me if I'm wrong here, you (and no one outside of Triton) actually knows the full chemical composition of Core7 (we know the elements, but not the ratios). I'd say that was the same for any such manufacturer.

Each method certainly doesn't use all the same chemicals however, having used others in the past and found contaminants in the tank along with elevated levels of other elements, which were not expected.

Far from being "magic", with Triton, I know that the testing service is very good, backed by knowledge and expertise and I know that I can rely on the supplements being of a very high quality and pure (I know because I conduct regular ICP's after dosing and haven't had contamination issues) and they are a known concentration referenced in the rest of the system (ICP's, corrective actions etc).

When I supplemented with Potassium from another provider, I found it also contained a number of other elements, in high levels, not referenced on the label. Whether intentional or contamination, I wanted Potassium and ONLY potassium.

The Triton Method itself is probably of more value to me than purely dosing solutions, which is why I use it. If you're happy using other solutions, then why not go ahead and do so. Forgive me, if this comes across as a little harsh, but I see little point in you posting on a thread about the supply method which you seem not to like or want to use.

Sorry if I'm missing something or coming across as overly harsh.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The general idea of that sentens is that everyone knows that its impossible to shout down someone with a broom handel - but if it not was that way - she had shout down her old man with that tool :)

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The general idea of that sentens is that everyone knows that its impossible to shout down someone with a broom handel - but if it not was that way - she had shout down her old man wi
Since
I'm not sure the translation works on that one Lasse :) (I think I need more coffee). But I agree. Some other things to point out about powders is that they often contain anti-caking agents. Many salts also do (the residue you often find after hours of mixing some salts).

Core7 is also extremely concentrated. Whether this is an advantage or disadvantage in every situation is up for debate, however the process used to get it to that concentration is what makes the difference between the core7 and the older base elements. You can't replicate that at home, mixing salts.

AFAIK, and correct me if I'm wrong here, you (and no one outside of Triton) actually knows the full chemical composition of Core7 (we know the elements, but not the ratios). I'd say that was the same for any such manufacturer.

Each method certainly doesn't use all the same chemicals however, having used others in the past and found contaminants in the tank along with elevated levels of other elements, which were not expected.

Far from being "magic", with Triton, I know that the testing service is very good, backed by knowledge and expertise and I know that I can rely on the supplements being of a very high quality and pure (I know because I conduct regular ICP's after dosing and haven't had contamination issues) and they are a known concentration referenced in the rest of the system (ICP's, corrective actions etc).

When I supplemented with Potassium from another provider, I found it also contained a number of other elements, in high levels, not referenced on the label. Whether intentional or contamination, I wanted Potassium and ONLY potassium.

The Triton Method itself is probably of more value to me than purely dosing solutions, which is why I use it. If you're happy using other solutions, then why not go ahead and do so. Forgive me, if this comes across as a little harsh, but I see little point in you posting on a thread about the supply method which you seem not to like or want to use.

Sorry if I'm missing something or coming across as overly harsh.
not harsh. But lacking substance imho. There are many many providers of additives. I don’t see the magic of Triton or any of the others that pretend to sell something special. In fact there is no evidence to suggest triton advantage

Norcalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not harsh. But lacking substance imho. There are many many providers of additives. I don’t see the magic of Triton or any of the others that pretend to sell something special. In fact there is no evidence to suggest triton advantage
If you don’t like triton why not just move on. Sure there are other ways to accomplish the same thing cheaper. But money is not the end all for everyone. I set my first ever reef tank up in February. Followed the triton method and have been using ICP. I have acros doing great and improving by the day. I didn’t know much about keeping sps when I started but by following their simple steps I was able to succeed. I’ll gladly pay more to not have to learn the hard way. The money I saved not killing corals has more than payed for any additional expenses of triton. But then again I’m not really concerned with cost.
You’re the only person claiming there is magic to triton. They only claim that their products are pure and free of contamination

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you don’t like triton why not just move on. Sure there are other ways to accomplish the same thing cheaper. But money is not the end all for everyone. I set my first ever reef tank up in February. Followed the triton method and have been using ICP. I have acros doing great and improving by the day. I didn’t know much about keeping sps when I started but by following their simple steps I was able to succeed. I’ll gladly pay more to not have to learn the hard way. The money I saved not killing corals has more than payed for any additional expenses of triton. But then again I’m not really concerned with cost.
You’re the only person claiming there is magic to triton. They only claim that their products are pure and free of contamination

And you think that other manufacturers claim that their supplements have contaminants?? Who would do that. The only benefit to Triton that I see is he testing. Which seems to be fraught with issues. Get a life anyone can make a comment it’s a
Forum

Norcalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you think that other manufacturers claim that their supplements have contaminants?? Who would do that. The only benefit to Triton that I see is he testing. Which seems to be fraught with issues. Get a life anyone can make a comment it’s a
Forum
I never said any other companies have contaminants you’re just making stuff up now. And I never said you couldn’t post just that you should move on if triton upsets you this much. But since you want to be rude I’m going to take my own advice and move on

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 191 71.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back