Triton Sump Design

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Newyorkerx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With space for a new 225gal peninsula system (60L"x36W"x24H"), I'm trying to figure out how to fit everything into the available space under the stand. The need for a refugium of between 10-20% of tank volume is a real stumbling block. While I will clearly need a 60-inch custom sump, I am wondering how deep to make it. I have also started to wonder if I really need 10-20% of tank volume. Instead, I am wondering if what I really need is 10-20% of tank surface area. Does the refugium really need to be that deep? And, practically, is a 24" deep refugium even productive from a macro-algea perspective? Does anybody offer a truly Triton-friendly sump?

DLuce510

A.D.I.D.A.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a rimless 30 cube display refugium. Had too good of results, I have to feed my system like crazy to keep growth and colors up. I Keep a ball of cheato in the sump on a opposite light schedule, ph never varies more than .2. Wouldn't do it any different.

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always go custom, there are tons of manufacturers that will help you design a sump. My display is just a bit smaller than yours, 60x30x24. When I had my stand built I walled off 12" to have a dry area for all of my electronics and dosing equipment. That left me with 48"x 27" for sump and ATO. After getting an average sized foot print for skimmers that would meet my needs, I sketched out the sump on graph paper and had Rick with Synergy do the work. I ended up with approx a 25g fuge built in. There is a ton of space in that foot print. My only regret is not going a few more inches taller an wider with the stand.

jolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always go custom, there are tons of manufacturers that will help you design a sump. My display is just a bit smaller than yours, 60x30x24. When I had my stand built I walled off 12" to have a dry area for all of my electronics and dosing equipment. That left me with 48"x 27" for sump and ATO. After getting an average sized foot print for skimmers that would meet my needs, I sketched out the sump on graph paper and had Rick with Synergy do the work. I ended up with approx a 25g fuge built in. There is a ton of space in that foot print. My only regret is not going a few more inches taller an wider with the stand.

I'd love to see a picture of that sump!

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to see a picture of that sump!

image.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back