Trying to find a fish with personality

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? Oh, forgot that Brazil bans all capture and export of its species.

To the OP, other than Centropyge resplendens any of the other Pygmy angels I’ve mentioned are obtainable and would work, with Fisher’s being the rarest and most expensive while C. acanthops and C. argi are a lot easier to find.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? Oh, forgot that Brazil bans all capture and export of its species.

To the OP, other than Centropyge resplendens any of the other Pygmy angels I’ve mentioned are obtainable and would work, with Fisher’s being the rarest and most expensive while C. acanthops and C. argi are a lot easier to find.
C. Resplendens is from the ascension islands, which have no collection. I think you are thinking on centropyge aurantonotus which is from brazil and Caribbean

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C. Resplendens is from the ascension islands, which have no collection. I think you are thinking on centropyge aurantonotus which is from brazil and Caribbean
I think C. resplendens is an endangered species. Only released for sales are the captive breed ones, few and far in between.

OP
OP
L

leilani908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi from a fellow Canadian! I’m Chinese-Canadian who used to live in Vancouver. Unfortunately the high living costs have made me leave and now I’m back in Asia.

Are you keeping invertebrates? If not, I don’t see how you could go wrong with a Flame or Long Nose Hawkfish. The others I heard can be a lot more aggressive.

If you’re keeping shrimp and all that, I’d definitely consider a Yellow Watchman or same genus goby for the symbiotic relationship with a Pistol Shrimp.

I’m not sure if there’s any fish that’s more aesthetically pleasing, around the same size and does the same job as the Lawnmower Blenny, sorry.

How long is your tank? If it’s 3 foot long you could do a pygmy angelfish like Centropyge argi, Centropyge flavicauda, Centropyge resplendens, Centropyge fisheri, or Centropyge acanthops. Do add these last as they’re feisty.
My tank is 3' long. I heard angles can go after corals? What do you think?

OP
OP
L

leilani908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question. How many fish would you say can fit in a 50 gallon? I do currently have a baby one spot Foxface. He's only an inch long hehe

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Blennies and Jawfish are the only fish I have had that seem to form a relationship with you. They sit there perched on their rock waiting for you to come over. Once you do they start swimming around just like your dog does when you get home. I recently lost my 3yo bicolor and it's the first loss that actually hurt me! After my 76 days that will be the first fish I get.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Another question. How many fish would you say can fit in a 50 gallon? I do currently have a baby one spot Foxface. He's only an inch long hehe
It's not the amount of fish it's the total amount of the fishes length as an adult. Please dont buy a baby hippo and tell yourself that once it out grows the tank you will upgrade because people never do. Look up the calculation for inch/gallon and follow it. 50gal wont be much. I'd go for a couple clowns, a blenny, and maybe a few anthias. No tangs... no angels...

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think C. resplendens is an endangered species. Only released for sales are the captive breed ones, few and far in between.
Not any more. Was moved to least concern a number of years ago as populations are stable.

CJreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some years back, I had my tank in the office across from my desk. My Lawnmower Blenny would come to the front of the tank and sit and watch me work for hours. She was sorely missed when she passed. I never had another fish with such personality and obvious interest in what I was doing.
The only fish I have at present who seems interested in interacting is a Black Lyretail Molly which I acclimated to salt water.
The other fish I have are a school of Chromis, a Yellow Tang, a Copperband Butterfly, a Coral Beauty, an Orchid Dottyback and my 20+ year old Cinnamon Clown. I also have an Engineer Goby that I only see at meal time. The Goby was my biggest mistake. I listened to the store guy who suggested him. He does much too much engineering. I wish I could catch him.
Anyway, I vote for the Lawnmower Blenny. And I don't think it an ugly fish by the way.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame hawk. Mine is such a photobomber - I can hardly take a pic without him in it. Great color, always on the move, and finds the most interesting places to perch.

IMG_20200526_104507309.jpg
IMG_20200526_104603496.jpg
IMG_20200526_104532830.jpg

BTW, his name is Rodney.
Screenshot_20200526-104804.png

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.3%
Back