Tunze stream 3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Bugger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that tunze went to the effort to make a silent pump. I look forward to buying one next week.

How quite are these pumps? Im trying to make my tank as quite as I can for my fish so they can rest at night.

If you put you ear up to the tank can you hear the stream 3 run? Does any one have one

I 've had vortech pumps and even though the motor is outside of the tank they still transfer vibrations to the tank wall.

If they are silent the stream 3 should be the standard powerhead that everyone should want. Is there any news on new stream pumps upgrades or even better models?

OP
OP
Bugger

Bugger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that silent...
I have both and the tunze 3 can be heard at high speed, the placement is not easy.
If under 100 g i would recommend vortech or others tunze models.

Thank you for posting. My tank is only 88 gallons. Do you hear a humming noise or a swoohing noise or both?

sam.veilleux30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure of the difference between the two.
For exemple if i set it at 75% and higher on pulsing mode i can hear the sound like my mp40 at equivalent %.
I also bought the artificial rock tunze sell but never use it more than 10 min because of the vibration sound it produce.
The vibration is minimal with the original mounting and the pump is well made, more sturdy than any other tunze model i owned over the years but it is bulky and does not really offer options for directing the flow (there is a deflector but it add like 2 inches to the already long pump). You should go with something like this:
https://www.tunze.com/US/en/product-search/details.html?user_tunzeprod_pi1[prodid]=6055.000
Avoid the 6040 model, i bought a similar one and it didn't last, the impeller was always off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bugger

Bugger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I have 5/8 glass it will have trouble holding onto the magnet. Rated for 15mm 1/2inch

ianryd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a single stream 3 in my 75 gallon. I would say it has a slight swooshing noise. No hum that I have ever noticed. It provides great flow throughout my tank. With the noise from my sump and skimmer, the noise from the Stream 3 is not noticeable. The only time I hear it is when everything else is turned off during a water change right before I turn the pump off. With your size tank you won't need to turn up the speed more than half way so noise shouldn't be an issue.

OP
OP
Bugger

Bugger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you hear the pump at 50 % there on sale right now

ianryd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you hear the pump at 50 % there on sale right now
I have mine around 50% and its quiet unless the swooshing (which to me is just the sound of the water being moved) is enough to bother you. Its the first high quality pump Ive ever had so I don't have anything to compare it to besides the hydor pumps I upgraded from which had a hum and a click every time they turned on. So to me at 50% to me it is virtually silent. I would totally recommend!

OP
OP
Bugger

Bugger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the link it's 15 mm, 2/3 in.
You should be ok, less than 1 mm over.
http://filetages.free.fr/conversion.htm
By the way, you got some glass for a 88 g, on my 100 i have 3/8.

Miracles over builds them so they wont leak.

I have mine around 50% and its quiet unless the swooshing (which to me is just the sound of the water being moved) is enough to bother you. Its the first high quality pump Ive ever had so I don't have anything to compare it to besides the hydor pumps I upgraded from which had a hum and a click every time they turned on. So to me at 50% to me it is virtually silent. I would totally recommend!

If you stick your ear up to the glass can you hear the pump. How can you hear swooshing unless you put your ear up to the tank.

I recently had a bulkhead fail and the way things where set up with out the drip loop water got into everything.

Now I need new equipment

ianryd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never put my ear to the tank. I'll have to see when I get home

ianryd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok let me know @ianryd Thanks
Ok so putting my ear to the tank all I hear is a smooth "wooshing" noise coming from the pump as it surges. I wouldnt call it a hum. Standing a foot away from the tank the pump is inaudible. My power is at just a little over 50% Hope that helps!

OP
OP
Bugger

Bugger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok its on sale I think im going to buy it. Right now Im using a seio that I bought in 2008 lol remember them?

Thanks for your help

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is and always will be noise from a pump due to water movement, noise is generated by water being pulled in and pushed out by the propeller. The motor itself is silent, in general when running full power the pumps create under 40 db which is virtually silent. I would say though that the fish are largely unaffected by noise, like any animal they habituate, animals hang out at oil drills, etc, where there is tons of noise, like any other animal including us they habituate. I would say a Stream 3 is too large for anything under 150 gallons and pick on noise for you, to for the fish.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please reread this mess
My apologies, I would assume I had a stroke, but I feel fine. What I was trying to say is that honestly, there probably is not a pump available that is so loud it would be a problem for the fish, just pick based on your needs. Noise is complicated, besides volume, there is also pitch and peoples sensitivity varies widely.

OP
OP
Bugger

Bugger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I agree fish will swim around drills. I think it is mostly because of boredom. I doubt they sleep next to the drill. The reef is a loud place and fish make noise all day but at night things are quite.
I used to live next to a four lane highway and although I did sleep I found it difficult to rest and had chronic chest pain.
There have been studies that validate that people that are bombarded with noise are more likely to suffer from dementia and Alzheimer's

The stream 3 is a game changer. I have already bought the pump for my 90 and will turn down the flow.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back