Turtle's Fairy Tale

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any of you lighting freaks ever rebuild a jbj nano glo refugium light?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing water, mixing BRS 2 part. Fun Friday morning messing with the tank. Update with parameters to follow.
Vacation prep here. Water changes and refreshing media as I know my house sitting nephews are gonna feed too much!!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vacation prep here. Water changes and refreshing media as I know my house sitting nephews are gonna feed too much!!
I use snack size ziploc bags for each meal to be served while I am gone. Makes it absolutely fool proof for whoever is taking care of my tank. I go so far as to write the day and either Morn or Eve on each one.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When I left for a weekend I gave my tank sitter cubes of food and was instructed to feed ONE cube a day in the evening. I put a few sheets of nori on the clip(I use the TLF sea veggies, and I cut them in half. One of my "sheets" is the size of a business card) before I left. No filter socks and make sure the ATO is full.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank parameters!!!

Screenshot_20180803-114717_Aquarimate.jpg

Screenshot_20180803-110403_Aquarimate.jpg

Nitrates, have remained low. I've dosed twice now, adding enough to increase by 1ppm. The first time I went from 0.5 ppm to 1.5ppm. The second time I dosed, I skipped a day of testing so I may have missed the spike but in 48 hours my level was the same.

Phosphates... ever since few weeks after starting up the tank I've had very aggressive film algae on the tank. Just an hour is enough to see a build up from scraping. When the first ta k cracked, I left two of the branch rocks in with the fish and the rest went into a separate tote with a heater and a power head. The two rocks with the fish evidently absorbed some phosphate, because they are the only two rocks with GHA growing on them. The rest of the tank is algae free. It looks like my nitrate dosing and long refugium hours are working to remove the excess phosphate. Since starting that regime, phosphates have dropped from 0.04 to 0.02ppm. That is just the free phosphate in the water, and not what the algae has bound up.

Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium, we started off with high calcium and low alkalinity. We've dosed alk up some, and calcium most likely has just dropped due to precipitation, although I have seen the tiniest bit of growth of a few of the older corals in the tank. I think the low alk is most likely from a separated bucket of salt that someone didn't mix up before filling the tank. We have since thoroughly mixed the salt in the bucket and I'll test a fresh mix of salt to make sure parameters are on.

Bentonb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank parameters!!!

Screenshot_20180803-114717_Aquarimate.jpg

Screenshot_20180803-110403_Aquarimate.jpg

Nitrates, have remained low. I've dosed twice now, adding enough to increase by 1ppm. The first time I went from 0.5 ppm to 1.5ppm. The second time I dosed, I skipped a day of testing so I may have missed the spike but in 48 hours my level was the same.

Phosphates... ever since few weeks after starting up the tank I've had very aggressive film algae on the tank. Just an hour is enough to see a build up from scraping. When the first ta k cracked, I left two of the branch rocks in with the fish and the rest went into a separate tote with a heater and a power head. The two rocks with the fish evidently absorbed some phosphate, because they are the only two rocks with GHA growing on them. The rest of the tank is algae free. It looks like my nitrate dosing and long refugium hours are working to remove the excess phosphate. Since starting that regime, phosphates have dropped from 0.04 to 0.02ppm. That is just the free phosphate in the water, and not what the algae has bound up.

Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium, we started off with high calcium and low alkalinity. We've dosed alk up some, and calcium most likely has just dropped due to precipitation, although I have seen the tiniest bit of growth of a few of the older corals in the tank. I think the low alk is most likely from a separated bucket of salt that someone didn't mix up before filling the tank. We have since thoroughly mixed the salt in the bucket and I'll test a fresh mix of salt to make sure parameters are on.

What interface/controller is this? It looks easy enough for me lol

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What interface/controller is this? It looks easy enough for me lol

It's called Aquarimate! I believe its $10 on the playstore, and I'm pretty sure it's also available on that fruit phone. It tracks lots of customizable parameters, input different supplements and dosing instructions and sets daily, weekly or monthly reminders that pops up notifications on your phone with a "snooze button" if you can't take care of it right away... you can even add photos of livestock. Way more features than I've actually used.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since Brew wanted pictures I started messing around with the camera phone. I wish I had one of them fancy DSLR cameras, but I spend all my money on the tank and can't seem to save spending money for anything else. I know I'm not the only one here with that "problem."

Anyway, I saw what I thought was copepods on the glass and decided to try and get a cool macro shot. I've got that clip on macro, the focal point is too close for corals, but these are on the glass. Well, the macro worked but they aren't pods.

Here is a normal close up shot without macro. Looks like pods at first glance.

20180803_120541.jpg

But if you look closely, you can see the shape is all wrong, amd they are attached at the small end.

20180803_120439.jpg
20180803_120338.jpg

Turtle I know what those are, they're hydroids! Pretty common sight in newer tanks at the one month mark, which we hit yesterday, and should be gone within another month. Still very neat to experience, especially since my last tank was a tank of death and never had these things, and I was too much a noob with my first tank to pay attention to these little things.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shhh... don't tell Argyle, but we're at the V-E-T.

20180803_134211.jpg
Uh oh!!!

My dogs know they are going to the vet as soon as we make the turn 1 mile away from it. Up to that turn they are all excited hoping to go hiking. Make that turn, ears and tails down. They DO NOT like the vet.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh oh!!!

My dogs know they are going to the vet as soon as we make the turn 1 mile away from it. Up to that turn they are all excited hoping to go hiking. Make that turn, ears and tails down. They DO NOT like the vet.
Mine too... She’s trembling by the time we get out of the car. My gal’s going on 14 this month so unfortunately many trips there in the last year or two.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Argyle LOVES truck rides... and he does great at the vet until the doctor comes in. Then he gets nervous. He's a very well behaved pup tho and after his shots practically jumped into my arms for a hug... then he was ok again and wanted to go sniff all the other dogs in the waiting room.

Yes, we were just there for an annual check up. All thumbs up from the vet, 26lbs and heartworm negative. Good to go on shots for another year.

Back