Turtle's Fairy Tale

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say the hatch was a success... just 1/4tsp of eggs and this tank is full of baby brine shrimp now. Yes, everything floating is a brine shrimp. The eggs are on the bottom.

20181005_132818.jpg
Well done!!!!

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It apears that I have a wrasse that likes to sleep under my acans. That's all fine, until my acans become buried in sand and I have to dig them back out and place them on top of the sand.

20181006_114938.jpg

I have one more of those purple rocks from the 35g tank that shall not be named. I set it in the sump for now to start the cycling process. I know everything is pink. I promise its purple.

20181006_114854.jpg

I'm not worried about it causing an ammonia spike. Not with the rock, mud and chaeto I already have. I just don't have time to mess with it today and I might as well start seeding it with good bacteria. My plan is to set it on that side where the acans already are, and let them grow all over that rock. I may find a few more small rocks like that and add them in various places for some favia, platygyra and echinata. Oh yea, pectinia and chalice also!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It apears that I have a wrasse that likes to sleep under my acans. That's all fine, until my acans become buried in sand and I have to dig them back out and place them on top of the sand.

20181006_114938.jpg

I have one more of those purple rocks from the 35g tank that shall not be named. I set it in the sump for now to start the cycling process. I know everything is pink. I promise its purple.

20181006_114854.jpg

I'm not worried about it causing an ammonia spike. Not with the rock, mud and chaeto I already have. I just don't have time to mess with it today and I might as well start seeding it with good bacteria. My plan is to set it on that side where the acans already are, and let them grow all over that rock. I may find a few more small rocks like that and add them in various places for some favia, platygyra and echinata. Oh yea, pectinia and chalice also!
Wouldn't it be nice if the fish in our system were more respectful of our wishes? So inconsiderate.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't it be nice if the fish in our system were more respectful of our wishes? So inconsiderate.

I have a feeling it's the radiant. He's been bullied a bit by I think the brunneus. Haven't seen him in a few days. That brunneus, supposed to be a peaceful fairy wrasse but he's a "richard..." He cannot stand the sapphire damsel, but it's tough enough to fight back. Those two flare up at each other all the time. The McCoskers wrasse stays clear also. Oddly, the leopards can come and go as they please and nobody pays them any attention.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id guess the radiant as well.

I never could figure out where mine slept. one day i was scraping the glass, moving power heads and then adding another fish to the acclimation box and I saw him dive into the slightest of holes between two rocks. No clue how he gets in there but he seems to like the rock work for added protection I guess?? My other sand sleepers seem to simply choose the deepest sand they find which isnt always near rock work.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, hurricane michael came and went. Turtle shell 2, 2018 hurricanes 0. Panama City and Mexico City, FL didn't fare so well.

Went out today after the storm passed. Ate lunch with the old lady and window shopped at the local mall village thing... yes, I stopped by my LFS here close to the house. I picked up some TLF Sea Veggies and a frag of blastos. They are already opening after about 10 minutes in the tank.

20181011_183709.jpg

Also, I seem to have created a rather large nutrient spike with the addition of the third rock in the sump. Same pesky film algae I had in the beginning is back... on the bright side, my zoas and LPS are LOVING the extra nutrients. They are growing very well and seem fat and happy.

20181011_182045.jpg
20181011_182055.jpg
20181011_182104.jpg
20181011_182134.jpg
20181011_182149.jpg

Look at all that awesome burgundy coraline growing!!!

Last edited:

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, I dunno if you have been following the WWC/BRS series on Youtube, but it's worth a watch if you haven't. Mixed tanks are SO much more difficult than SPS/LPS dominant tanks. Ryan really does a good job going into detail about the differences in Video 5 of the series.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, I dunno if you have been following the WWC/BRS series on Youtube, but it's worth a watch if you haven't. Mixed tanks are SO much more difficult than SPS/LPS dominant tanks. Ryan really does a good job going into detail about the differences in Video 5 of the series.

I actually just started watching that tonight at work... slow night. I have a very good hunch on what my SPS issue is. It's self inflicted, altho unintentional, and hopefully, easily corrected. I didn't want to let the cat out of the bag just yet...

I have a trip to Gatlinburg for vacation next week, after that I'm sending off an ATI ICP test. When the results come in, I'll reveal my hunch. My original plan was SPS dominant with zoas mixed in. It has shifted to Zoa dominant with LPS mixed in and an SPS death trap. Like I said tho, I'm pretty sure I know exactly what my SPS problem is, and I've already removed the "source." I'll drop a little hint, I noticed a change in the tank after the recent addition of something in the sump that tipped me off, kinda like a chain of thoughts in my head that lead from one thing to another until the light bulb dang near blew up.

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, it's really funny how there are SO MANY different ways to run a tank. I'm a Nem person (duh). If I couldn't have Nems and clowns I wouldn't own a tank. All that said I'd still like to have some SPS, but I honestly like a colorful blasto just as much as I love a cool acro and honestly my favorite WWC tank is their mixed tank.

I learned an awful lot about my system (a lot I already knew but was too stuborn to admit to myself) when I had my ICP test done. My ATI ICP was honestly the best thing I EVER did fore my tank, only because it confirmed what I was already thinking. I hope yours works out the same.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, it's really funny how there are SO MANY different ways to run a tank. I'm a Nem person (duh). If I couldn't have Nems and clowns I wouldn't own a tank. All that said I'd still like to have some SPS, but I honestly like a colorful blasto just as much as I love a cool acro and honestly my favorite WWC tank is their mixed tank.

I learned an awful lot about my system (a lot I already knew but was too stuborn to admit to myself) when I had my ICP test done. My ATI ICP was honestly the best thing I EVER did fore my tank, only because it confirmed what I was already thinking. I hope yours works out the same.

I really want a nem for Bonnie and Clyde. They really look like they need a home. But then again there is no guarantee they will call a BTA home... I don't want to put a mag in my 90 and have it take up the whole thing. Then there is the Sebae, but they aren't as colorful as BTAs are... and if they do decide a BTA is a better home than rubbing on my trachy once a day, do I want to put up with it splitting and walking all over my tank stinging everything in it's path? Altho, I have kept a small rainbow BTA for several months without it walking, then I added it to my 35 gallon tank of hades fire where all things coral went to die.

In the tank's current state, if I have the problem I think I have, adding a nem will most certainly spell a quickly melted disaster.

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude all I can say is what I tell everybody else. If you're thinking of getting a Nem and don't want the Nem itself to be the centerpiece of your tank and you're willing to sacrifice everything else in your tank, don't do it.

Mag's are honestly not as hard as everybody makes them out to be, that said, they are definitely a step up from a BTA. In a mixed reef, I think a sebae is a good option, especially if you can get your hands on a cool purple one, but they all come in "white" so you never know.

Nems are cool, BTAs are frustrating, clowns are clowns regardless.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll probably pass on the nem... A sebae would be cool, but my conch knocked over a branch last night. I can only imagine what a sand dwelling nem would/could do. I may be adding some base rock to my scape. I like the open branches. But I think I need more caves and hiding spots to curb some aggression from a particular dominant wrasse. It should help with stability too.

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it sucks being "the nem guy" and telling people "don't get a nem", but I honestly try to be as honest as possible with people. They move, the split...etc.

That said, I would love to see you get another Golden Moray. I know how much you enjoy them. Never seen somebody so excited about an eel as you.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want another. They have so much personality. Ryu was amazing, so much color and he would come out when I fed the fish and poke his head out of the water like the clowns do looking for food. Just like a dog jumping on your leg begging for a treat. Maui was the shy one, always stayed in a rock and didn't like open swimming as much. He'd shake his head at feeding time letting me know he was hungry. I would have loved to have known more of his personality out of the nickel plated vanadium bathtub he was in...

That being said, I've been watching the divers den. They get a few here and there. I've also had my eye on the skeletor morays... but after that snowflake ate my lubbocki wrasse, then died itself. I'm kinda sticking with the eel that is too small to eat a fish bigger than a very small blenny.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 159 62.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 34.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.2%
Back