OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it's that time of the month again...

No, I'm a guy, Turtle... hush.

Yep, water change weekend. It's been 4 weeks. My schedule has been working out well for me, but this one I can tell it's due. The past few days my trumpet hasn't been its fullest. Probably because I've been feeding a bit heavy the past week. I went over board with the spot feeding of reef roids on the LPS. They enjoyed it tho. It had been months since I spot fed them.

20190330_132538.jpg
20190330_132543.jpg

I know, that one dead polyp is still sticking out there like a sore thumb. I could trim it off so you dont seeit, but it reminds me of what happens when you skip water changes. I'll let the coral cover it up naturally. I'm not really grabbing the words I want, but it'll prove a point to me when I no longer see that dead branch without cutting it off.

Making water now to mix up the last of my Red Sea blue bucket... then, we'll be switching salts. With the recent videos on different salts that BRS has been doing, I've decided that since there is really no cost difference in the major brands I'm going with the Brightwell Neomarine simply because it's close to my parameters and is lab made. The Red Sea is good salt and has served me well, but you should see the dirt left behind in my Brute can.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I do water changes... day after and my canary is singing again. Oh, and the chaeto was full of reef roids. It's kinda the only mechanical filter I have on this tank. I rinsed some out, I'll get it good and clean when I harvest next month. Refugium is almost full.

20190401_173216.jpg

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
926443E7-AD65-4803-B659-880B5E7C4035.jpg
I have the same tank from Steve!! Love the layout of the “cube” 90g. Switched my locline out also, made a template and routed the acrylic to fit perfectly. Made a ghetto cover until I can get in some 1/2” thick black acrylic to make a proper fitting one. Suggestion, change out the bulkheads they send you with the tank, they’re alright but very crumbly. Get some good solid ones from BRS.
I have the SCA 150 and I had a mishap that caused my emergency bulkhead to break. With my busy work schedule it took me a week to get my sump running again. I got some cheap bulkhead off Amazon, maybe I should check out the BRS bulkheads.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the SCA 150 and I had a mishap that caused my emergency bulkhead to break. With my busy work schedule it took me a week to get my sump running again. I got some cheap bulkhead off Amazon, maybe I should check out the BRS bulkheads.

Here is a very good place for all your plumbing supplies...

https://flexpvc.com

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your pictures are top notch!

I blame the camera on the S10+... thank you.

Your tank looks great now that you started doing water changes.

Amazing, isn't it? I could tell this last time I went a little over board with the Reef Roids. Especially since there was orange dust ALL IN my chaeto. No reef roids this month since I didn't get all of them cleaned out of the chaeto. It should slowly release nutrients into the water keeping nutrients at a good level.

I did test alk the other day. I haven't tested anything but salinity in a while, but everything looks good. It's still 8.4, only 0.1 off from last check a month ago or so and within my 8.0 to 8.5 range.

20190403_192100.jpg

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ASD Rainbow Milli is struggling. Not because of me, I was doing great. It's been knocked off the rocks twice this week. The second time I was out of super glue, so it sat on one of my racks until I got home from work the next day with more glue. It seems to be recovering, so that's a good thing. I also used a very large amount of glue to hold it down. Maybe now that crab won't be able to pry it off the rock.

20190406_140450.jpg

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrimp are evil... guess I have an evil refugium overlord for when I get my tank set back up. Contemplating putting him in the display tho.

Yes, both of his claws grew back, again. So far no fighting with the snowflake eel.

20180605_152232.jpg
I found my Peppermint eating one of my snails. It was one of the stupid Nerites. Not smart enough to right themselves. Seemed like the snail was still alive when I caught the shrimp trying to eat it.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found my Peppermint eating one of my snails. It was one of the stupid Nerites. Not smart enough to right themselves. Seemed like the snail was still alive when I caught the shrimp trying to eat it.
That guy is still in the sump. I've had it for 2 years now. I agree that nerite snails are dumb, but mine can right themselves. They just don't do anything. At all. They just sit in the corners of the tank at the water line. All day.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That guy is still in the sump. I've had it for 2 years now. I agree that nerite snails are dumb, but mine can right themselves. They just don't do anything. At all. They just sit in the corners of the tank at the water line. All day.

You cats are funny. What would you like or expect a snail to do? Maybe a little Moonwalk or some other dance moves! Lol

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cats are funny. What would you like or expect a snail to do? Maybe a little Moonwalk or some other dance moves! Lol
IDK... eat algae? Move from the one spot once a month? My ceriths and the one astrea I have left from 2 years ago are all over the tank, nerites... Nope. They all sit at the top of the waterline in the corners of the tank. Big groups of 10+ sometimes in one spot. Never move, I can pull them off and dump them into the sand, and the next day they are back in their spot.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, Nerites are pointless. If they ever moved they climbed out of the tank. The ones that went behind the tank, died behind the tank. The ones that came out the front turned into dog treats. Didn’t have a lid at that point but since they didn’t do anything anyway I’ve never gotten more.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had several attached to the screen top fall and hit the floor when I pull the screen off for maintenance. I used to go chasing them around and put them back... but I've given up. If it's right there I'll toss it back in, but if it rolls off I'll toss it in the trash when I step on it later. I'm sure there are a more than a few dead under my TV stand, as that's where I lean the screen top. I need to move it and clean under there anyway.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back