Turtle's Fairy Tale

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been meaning to share my new nori I've been using. It's a store brand, on the Asian food isle in Walmart. It's only $3 a pack, and has way more per pack than the fish brands. No additives all organic. I cut it into the easy to manage quarter sheets that the TLF brand somes in. I have noticed it falls apart a little quicker than the TLF brand, but that's only in the nano with one 1½" blenny and the angel eating it. In here, it doesn't last long enough to even get too soggy.

20190320_200108.jpg
20190320_200127.jpg
20190320_200229.jpg
20190320_200315.jpg
20190320_200324.jpg
20190320_200447.jpg
You don't worry about it being "lightly roasted"? Not sure why it would matter but I've always seen it recommended to use raw.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't worry about it being "lightly roasted"? Not sure why it would matter but I've always seen it recommended to use raw.
Not really... it may lose a small fraction of nutritional value but I don't see where it would hurt it.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New corals came in earlier today. Everything arrived looking healthy and pest free, and after a short time acclimating, opened up nicely.

Purple blasto, for my girlfriend when the Reefer250 is ready. I've got one already, but not ready to frag.

20190328_153421.jpg

Blood orange acan

20190328_153425.jpg

Orange blossom zoas

20190328_153431.jpg

Atomic Yuma. True colors, it really is blue and peachy pink

20190328_153446.jpg

And, last but definitely not least... the baby croc doot do, doot do doo(Haha its stuck in your head now)

20190328_153442.jpg

That scoly is insane. Red, blue and faint yellow stripes just waiting to pop under some Kessils. I'm super thrilled to be able to grow it out too. It's on a 1" frag plug, not the 3/4" standard plugs. Still small but not tiny.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t notice the time stamp lol. Even better!!! Any new pics to share?
You just reminded me, right now is about the prettiest time on the reef, and I haven't gotten the 1st quarter FTS for the thread archive. Since you're the "new guy" I will take 3 photos and you get to pick which one is forever entombed on post number... crap, hang on.

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just reminded me, right now is about the prettiest time on the reef, and I haven't gotten the 1st quarter FTS for the thread archive. Since you're the "new guy" I will take 3 photos and you get to pick which one is forever entombed on post number... crap, hang on.

OOOHHH such an honour.
Ummm what does FTS stand for? Also, don’t know what a post number is hehehe

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fts - full tank shot. Duh. Never mind.

Ok. Tough call. Gorgeous tank. Great pics. But #1 has the most zoom in surprises I think. So...I vote #1. What do you think?

I already took 10+ photos and chose the best 3 for you to pick from... (tank square with frame, in focus, not too overexposed yet not underexposed, most of the fish visible). #1 sounds good to me.

If you're on your phone, turn it sideways and look in the top right corner of people's post. It'll have a little number up there. Your last post was #2090 on this thread. If you scroll up I actually linked the #2, so you can click on that it will take you straight to my FTS post, where I share a picture every few months to record tank progress. Otherwise, you can click page 1 and just scroll down to post 2.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man what a turn the this tale has taken! Looks great! I liked #1 too
Hey, just the guy I was looking for... well you and @Brew12, @Fudsey maybe @sfin52 as well. @NY_Caveman runs bare bottom...

Have any of you noticed your sand... disappearing? Check out these photos.

First one is from July last year, after the reboot when the first tank cracked. No sand has been added or removed since then.

20180703_160049.jpg
20190328_220755.jpg

There is at least 2" across the entire tank in the first pic and the second there is barely enough to cover the front part of the tank, and it's not like I have 4" of sand in the back either. Is it just settled and compacted, or what? Either way, I think I need to add some more sand.

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already took 10+ photos and chose the best 3 for you to pick from... (tank square with frame, in focus, not too overexposed yet not underexposed, most of the fish visible). #1 sounds good to me.

If you're on your phone, turn it sideways and look in the top right corner of people's post. It'll have a little number up there. Your last post was #2090 on this thread. If you scroll up I actually linked the #2, so you can click on that it will take you straight to my FTS post, where I share a picture every few months to record tank progress. Otherwise, you can click page 1 and just scroll down to post 2.

I didn’t realize the “#2” above was a link. Thought it was a failed picture upload lol.

WOW. amazing transformation. Love that you have those for your records too. Can’t wait to get started w corals. Soon.

Since you clearly know a TON about corals, I’ll ask you something I’ve been trying to figure out if that’s ok...what’s your qt protocol on corals? I’m thinking dip then 76 days fallow qt but have read ppl recommend you detach from the frag in case critters are hiding in there. I’m afraid of killing anything in the Process. What do you recommend?

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, just the guy I was looking for... well you and @Brew12, @Fudsey maybe @sfin52 as well. @NY_Caveman runs bare bottom...

First one is from July last year, after the reboot when the first tank cracked. No sand has been added or removed since then.

20180703_160049.jpg
20190328_220755.jpg

There is at least 2" across the entire tank in the first pic and the second there is barely enough to cover the front part of the tank, and it's not like I have 4" of sand in the back either. Is it just settled and compacted, or what? Either way, I think I need to add some more sand.

I had a freshwater tank w sand a while back and some always got sucked up when siphoning. But it was visible in the bucket so no surprise.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20180703_160049.jpg
20190328_220755.jpg

I usually loose it during water changes. In four years lost about half of my sand maybe a bit more .Good news Petco online has Ls for 16$ for a 20lbs bag.

The tank is amazing.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t realize the “#2” above was a link. Thought it was a failed picture upload lol.

WOW. amazing transformation. Love that you have those for your records too. Can’t wait to get started w corals. Soon.

Since you clearly know a TON about corals, I’ll ask you something I’ve been trying to figure out if that’s ok...what’s your qt protocol on corals? I’m thinking dip then 76 days fallow qt but have read ppl recommend you detach from the frag in case critters are hiding in there. I’m afraid of killing anything in the Process. What do you recommend?

I like to only buy from a select few vendors. Guys I know personally, and know they have clean frags... still things get thru and I should be better. I usually don't even dip, but I do inspect with a magnifying glass. Like at a frag swap where there are dozens of vendors, some of which I've never met. After those I inspect very throughly, some get new plugs and I dip all iffy corals. Then they go on one of my racks.

The absolute best way to go about coral QT would be to detach all corals from the plug and discard, no matter what has grown onto the plug, then dip and reglue to brand new plugs. After that, 76 days in a coral and invert only QT tank.

I don't hardly do half of that. For super sensitive acro only tanks, I could see doing that. For your average softie or mixed reef, inspecting and dipping is enough. The main thing is to know what you are looking at and what for.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a freshwater tank w sand a while back and some always got sucked up when siphoning. But it was visible in the bucket so no surprise.

I usually loose it during water changes. In four years lost about half of my sand maybe a bit more .Good news Petco online has Ls for 16$ for a 20lbs bag.

The tank is amazing.

Plot twist, I've never siphoned the sand in this tank. I let the critters do that.

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to only buy from a select few vendors. Guys I know personally, and know they have clean frags... still things get thru and I should be better. I usually don't even dip, but I do inspect with a magnifying glass. Like at a frag swap where there are dozens of vendors, some of which I've never met. After those I inspect very throughly, some get new plugs and I dip all iffy corals. Then they go on one of my racks.

The absolute best way to go about coral QT would be to detach all corals from the plug and discard, no matter what has grown onto the plug, then dip and reglue to brand new plugs. After that, 76 days in a coral and invert only QT tank.

I don't hardly do half of that. For super sensitive acro only tanks, I could see doing that. For your average softie or mixed reef, inspecting and dipping is enough. The main thing is to know what you are looking at and what for.

Thx!! Gonna start off nice and simple w a leather and take it from there. Maybe I’ll have something half as nice as yours one day :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back