Two AI primes or One Hydra 26

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2×2×2 cube 60 gallon aquarium that will be a mixed reef and was wondering, what would be better as far as running one hydra 26 or two Ai primes? The prime would be cheaper for me since I have one already. That and my justification (and I could be wrong) was I could angle them inward toward the center a little bit to avoid shadowing.

Or if there are any other options out there I'm willing to hear about them to. Thank you in advance.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes you go with that option over to Primes?
I have the 26 hd's. For the size of your system, depth the 26 HD will give you what you need to grow corals in your system. The prime are good for smaller shallower system. The 26 HD has more power and one can alway turn it down.

Dystinction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @jsker . With the dimensions on your tank, I feel the 26 hd is a better choice over the two Prime's.
Now if your tank was, say 36", then two Primes would give you the advantage of spreading them out across that length better than one 26 hd could provide.

I can't speak to reliability at this point, as mine (2x Prime HD's) are still very new, however, I do like them, and feel that they have a lot of control-ability and function.

I had some issues with the wifi connections, however, a wifi extender solved my issues.

Bmasculine

Serial SPS murderer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my hydra 26 hd since it first came out and it’s still going strong. I use it on my 60 gal cube with t-5 supplement. There will be some shadowing but if your going for mixed reef and keeping acros tword the top and not trying to grow them at the sides of the tank it’ll be fine. You can always add supplement lighting later if so desired.

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my goal is maybe a few acros and birdsnests as well as a few montis but the rest will be hammers zoas and maybe some rock flower nems. So I wont be trying to reach a real high par. But okay guess you got me sold on hydras lol gotta start saving.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For quality coverage, personally.. Two 26HD's honestly. I know SPS isn't your main priority but but I've got an XR30 on my tank (24x24x18) and I need a second XR30 to get full coverage like I want.

But everyone is different.

Bmasculine

Serial SPS murderer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For quality coverage, personally.. Two 26HD's honestly. I know SPS isn't your main priority but but I've got an XR30 on my tank (24x24x18) and I need a second XR30 to get full coverage like I want.

I would add t-5 or some orphek light strips vs buying another XR30

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What stocking is your tank? And what par are you shooting for if you know?

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What stocking is your tank? And what par are you shooting for if you know?

I have nothing but wall to wall top to bottom SPS -- But even if it were nothing but LPS I'd want the same. I want 360* coverage around my corals. I don't want them only lit on the front, or the side. Front, back, left, right. 360* light.

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have nothing but wall to wall top to bottom SPS -- But even if it were nothing but LPS I'd want the same. I want 360* coverage around my corals. I don't want them only lit on the front, or the side. Front, back, left, right. 360* light.
So then wouldn't 2 AI primes be better for that?

Bmasculine

Serial SPS murderer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went T-5 for a blanket of light paired with my hydra 26 that will be used for SPS. $500 no shadows
If only doing birdsnest and montis keep your prime buy an aquaticlife hybrid fixture for $200 bucks and no shadows.
Or if you have a lot of money blanket the top of your tank in expensive LED fixtures.
Even with two hydra 26 you will have shadowing they aren’t comparable to the XR 30

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don't have a lot of money at all. Just on my 10 gallon I know that underside to just about all my birds nests and acros always ends up bleaching from shadowing.

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went T-5 for a blanket of light paired with my hydra 26 that will be used for SPS. $500 no shadows
If only doing birdsnest and montis keep your prime buy an aquaticlife hybrid fixture for $200 bucks and no shadows.
Or if you have a lot of money blanket the top of your tank in expensive LED fixtures.
Even with two hydra 26 you will have shadowing they aren’t comparable to the XR 30
Do you have any links to these t5's your talking about?

Bmasculine

Serial SPS murderer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is tank with t-5 and hydra
437B3FCB-E19C-418F-8806-F085B0A1F657.jpeg
Here is my 24x24 cube with just hydra 26
7D305EC6-8179-4FE9-98C1-2F22AB10DAFC.jpeg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 38 74.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back