upgrade for XTi?

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
coralnutz, did you read those rumors about the canon announcement?

i'd hold off on buying any canon dSLR until after the announcement. if they do plan on upgrading the XTi, the current prices of XT and XTi will surely drop after the news is released.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i saw something on the canon forum with a point of sale and a inverted lens....

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=142566&page=3

there are only some nit picky stuff i don't like about the 40D when compared to the XTi.

one being, on the XTi in the playback mode, if i pressed the delete button it always asked me if i wanted to delete just the picture, or the entire card. on the 40D, it only lets me delete picture by picture. and i have to go into the big menu in order to delete pics off the entire card.

also, on the XTi, it has a neat sensor right above the LCD so the LCD will turn off when your face gets close to it. i like to view the info on big LCD. on the 40D, i've been blinded a couple times when the LCD turned on right when i put my face up there to look through the eye peiece. but thats just something i need to get used to, as there is a smaller B/W screen on top of the camera with all the shooting info also.

i haven't been out that much, as i'm not really sure what scenes to go shoot. i only have the regular lens that comes with it and my macro lens. i gave the telephoto lens to my dad.

i need to browse the canon photography forum some more to give me some more ideas on what to do that doesn't require me to travel far to get to some decent scenary.

J. Montgomery

Mouth Pipetting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was home over Christmas I visited the Montgomery Zoo and took ~300 pictures! Mostly I used the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III lens that my dad let me borrow/have (he has an older film camera thats equivalent to the Rebel series that he doesn't really use any more; now he's got a PowerShot SD700 IS that kicks butt). The zoo provided some nice photographic opportunities; I love having a good digital camera now, it's a lot of fun.

I picked up Photographic Composition by Grill and Scanlon to learn more about image control. I'm just getting started with it, but I think it's going to make me more conscious of composing effective pictures. Should be cool, composing images rather than just "capturing" a collection of objects.

You're only limited by your imagination! The water drops on a CD was a great start.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was home over Christmas I visited the Montgomery Zoo and took ~300 pictures! Mostly I used the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III lens that my dad let me borrow/have (he has an older film camera thats equivalent to the Rebel series that he doesn't really use any more; now he's got a PowerShot SD700 IS that kicks butt). The zoo provided some nice photographic opportunities; I love having a good digital camera now, it's a lot of fun.

I picked up Photographic Composition by Grill and Scanlon to learn more about image control. I'm just getting started with it, but I think it's going to make me more conscious of composing effective pictures. Should be cool, composing images rather than just "capturing" a collection of objects.

You're only limited by your imagination! The water drops on a CD was a great start.

how did that lens work out for you at the zoo? i would imagine that it would have to be pretty bright outside in order to use a fast shutter speed with moving animals....otherwise they will look blurry. and the f/stop is only f/4 which is pretty slow.

did you have to increase the ISO to get faster shutter speads? i always forget to do that.

J. Montgomery

Mouth Pipetting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still functioning with Auto Mode, so . . . it was an overcast day but I managed to get lots of nice pictures. Most of the animals in the zoo don't move too much, with the exception of the cougar and jaguar which were constantly walking around and by the time we made it to their cages it was almost dark.

The lens worked great compared to the 18-55 kit lens that was my other choice. The zoom was able to get up-close shots of animals that were pretty far away (the zoo has some unusually large enclosures).

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still functioning with Auto Mode, so . . . it was an overcast day but I managed to get lots of nice pictures. Most of the animals in the zoo don't move too much, with the exception of the cougar and jaguar which were constantly walking around and by the time we made it to their cages it was almost dark.

The lens worked great compared to the 18-55 kit lens that was my other choice. The zoom was able to get up-close shots of animals that were pretty far away (the zoo has some unusually large enclosures).

post some pics!!!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 72 42.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back