OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks so sick man! Love how each scape flows from one tank to the next. Are you planning on stocking similar corals in each tank or different types in each system?
Thanks for the view and comment. I'm planning to diversify more from a fish perspective from tank to tank. Coral will be a couple high end SPS in each one with some select LPS and softies.

First time back to the forums for awhile and saw this thread for the first time. I got the benefit of seeing all of these pictures via text and a lot of the progress in person but wanted to drop a line so I get auto-updates on this thread.
As I've said before, you're truly an artist and it's a privilege to watch you shape the direction of this hobby with your different builds.

Eric - I'm glad you found me here on the new build thread. Thanks for taking the time to comment and subscribe. I really appreciate the kind words you dropped here, it means a great deal to me.

The reclaimed wood looks spectacular! It's already epic!
Thanks!!!

All I can say is beautiful! What are the stocking plans?
Stocking plans are still TBD. I'm planning to diversify more from a fish perspective from tank to tank. Coral will be a couple high end SPS in each one with some select LPS and softies.

I have loved Takashi Amanos work for some time. I dabble in planted tanks, but my heart always brings me back to reef
I've always wanted to try a planted tank but still have not. Like you I love TA's work and pulled lots of my inspiration for this tank from some planted tanks that I've seen.

Beautiful. Nicely done and I always appreciate the aesthetics outside the tank.
Agree with you! I love seeing full room shots where you can see what's going on with the whole space.

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back Lighting
If you missed it in my earlier posts, I added some back lighting to the tanks to help give some added depth to the small aquariums. The LEDs that I used are from Home Depot and can range from 15 different colors and can dim up and down. Here is a link to the product I used. I'm very happy with the addition it provides to the tanks. I especially like the orange, yellow and red, these colors create what looks like a sunset behind the tanks. Someone asked recently about the ability to see the back lighting when the Hydras are running. Here are a few photos of my 3 favorite colors. I have the back lights configured to come on in my evening lighting program after the main photo period is over. I'm at work for most of the photo period so there is no sense in running the back lights all day.

Orange

Yellow

Red

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I AM SO GLAD YOU ARE BACK!! I loved your 365 thread - as I said before it was the inspiration for me to get back into the hobby. This build is similarly spectacular! I can't wait to see how it progresses!

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed you've done a bit of "terracing" with the sand - what will you be doing with the deeper sand areas?
~Bruce
Maritmer - No real plans in the deeper sand bed, it's there just for the aesthetics of the scape.

That is just unbelievably peaceful and relaxing ... even from here!
~Bruce
Thanks! I have to admit, I like the back lighting more than I thought I would.

So glad to see your build thread again.
Even today I go back to your 250 peninsula for guidance.
What you are doing with this is just amazing. Unique and beautiful.
Thanks! That is awesome that the old build thread is still referenced. I hope that some will get a few nuggets out of this latest build.

I AM SO GLAD YOU ARE BACK!! I loved your 365 thread - as I said before it was the inspiration for me to get back into the hobby. This build is similarly spectacular! I can't wait to see how it progresses!

Bronc - Good to hear from you. You were for sure one of the biggest supporters for Project 365. It was a shame that I had to end that early when we decided to move. Thanks for the view and comment.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back Lighting
If you missed it in my earlier posts, I added some back lighting to the tanks to help give some added depth to the small aquariums. The LEDs that I used are from Home Depot and can range from 15 different colors and can dim up and down. Here is a link to the product I used. I'm very happy with the addition it provides to the tanks. I especially like the orange, yellow and red, these colors create what looks like a sunset behind the tanks. Someone asked recently about the ability to see the back lighting when the Hydras are running. Here are a few photos of my 3 favorite colors. I have the back lights configured to come on in my evening lighting program after the main photo period is over. I'm at work for most of the photo period so there is no sense in running the back lights all day.

Orange

Yellow

Red
SICK!!!!!!

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unbelievable! Truly a piece of art you are creating in your home.

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you said you wanted the scape to flow between the tanks I was keen to see how you would do it, and wow does that look amazing!! The wood work is also top notch and that backlight works so well!

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SICK!!!!!!
Thanks!

Unbelievable! Truly a piece of art you are creating in your home.
Thanks for the kind words. I had not thought about it as art but I like it.

Truly inspiring....incredible piece of art even without any livestock!
Again, with the art comment, I love it. Thanks so much.

When you said you wanted the scape to flow between the tanks I was keen to see how you would do it, and wow does that look amazing!! The wood work is also top notch and that backlight works so well!
Thanks for taking the time to view and comment. Glad to have you pop in here.

Goby-won

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@urbaneks - great to see you back brother. I loved the other thread and I am enjoying this one just as much. Carry on sir!

PS - I think I noticed in one of those pics, you were about 3mm off on your measurement :p I would have started all over (yeah right).

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, did not disappoint! I was out of the hobby for a bit, so I'll have to catch up on project 365 and the 250 peninsula. I was a fan from your nano tank days :p

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urbaneks I'm glad I found your new thread. As others have said, you peninsula build is one of my top 3 favorite tanks of all time. I am also a huge fan of woodworking so I'm enjoying this new build especially. I am working on a 96 gallon reef savvy build (thread to be started soon) and your lighting solution is now having me second guess the beautiful Giesemann fixture I just bought.

As I go from a 40 to a 96, I have been debating in my head what the optimal size tank is for me - both to able to appreciate the specimens up close but also have enough room for growth. I love your approach here as I have too been debating keeping my 40 cube running next to the new tank on the same sump.

Anyway, I'm excited to follow along. True inspiration!

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@urbaneks - great to see you back brother. I loved the other thread and I am enjoying this one just as much. Carry on sir!

PS - I think I noticed in one of those pics, you were about 3mm off on your measurement :p I would have started all over (yeah right).

Goby-won - I'm sure that I'm more than 3mm off! Thanks for the view and comment.

Oh wow, did not disappoint! I was out of the hobby for a bit, so I'll have to catch up on project 365 and the 250 peninsula. I was a fan from your nano tank days :p

Wow! You must have been out of the hobby for some time. It's been many moons since the old Nano. I had a 110 setup for more than 2 years before the 250 was up for a couple years. Glad to have you back.

Urbaneks I'm glad I found your new thread. As others have said, you peninsula build is one of my top 3 favorite tanks of all time. I am also a huge fan of woodworking so I'm enjoying this new build especially. I am working on a 96 gallon reef savvy build (thread to be started soon) and your lighting solution is now having me second guess the beautiful Giesemann fixture I just bought.

As I go from a 40 to a 96, I have been debating in my head what the optimal size tank is for me - both to able to appreciate the specimens up close but also have enough room for growth. I love your approach here as I have too been debating keeping my 40 cube running next to the new tank on the same sump.

Anyway, I'm excited to follow along. True inspiration!

Really nice comment. Really appreciate that. The 250 was fun project, it was not easy to see it come down. Clue me into your new build when it's time. I'd love to keep up with it.

Awesome work! Very creative
Thanks so much.

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about an update? I check this thread daily looking for inspiration :)

Choss - Not a lot to report right now. The tanks are running with a couple fish as I get the tanks cycled up for coral. Phosphates have been a bit high which I'm working down with GFO. At the current rate, I should be ready for coral in the next week or so. I'll get a few photos when the corals go in.

Back