OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish are you cycling with? Also, I am curious - are the glass holes overflows relatively silent?

I have a pair of designer clown fish in one of the tanks. I also just added a small starry blenny to another, he's awesome.

I would not say they are nearly silent. My previous tank had a bean animal setup, that was nearly silent. The glass holes are not loud but I do hear them. I do think it's a nice product for these smaller tanks.

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a starry blenny as well and it is one of my favorite fish. Very curious. He tends to watch me when I enter the room.

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
March 27, 2017 - Photo Update

It's been a while since I've updated the journal. More than anything, there has not been much to talk about. I ran the tanks for 2 weeks with no live stock while adding bacteria daily to seed the tank. I then added a pair of clowns which helped ensure the system was ready for additional live stock. A Yasha/Pistol combo and Starry Blenny were added about a week ago. After running the system for more than a month, I've finally deemed the system ready for a couple coral additions. Here are a couple shots I took tonight. Thanks for looking.

Starry Blenny - Like a Boss

A second shot since he was cooperating

Captive Bred Yasha Goby from Live Aquaria - These guys are awesome, not shy like the other Yasha's I've had

First coral addition - ROAB Digitata - This is my test canary for coral additions

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a starry blenny as well and it is one of my favorite fish. Very curious. He tends to watch me when I enter the room.
Agree - One of my all time favorites - Should be a must have for every reef tank.

Beautiful tank's, I always wanted an ADA aquarium in my planted tank days. Can't wait to see it stocked.
Thanks for the view and comment.

Gorgeous!!
Thank you Bronc!

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's been a while since I've updated the journal. More than anything, there has not been much to talk about. I ran the tanks for 2 weeks with no live stock while adding bacteria daily to seed the tank. I then added a pair of clowns which helped ensure the system was ready for additional live stock. A Yasha/Pistol combo and Starry Blenny were added about a week ago. After running the system for more than a month, I've finally deemed the system ready for a couple coral additions. Here are a couple shots I took tonight. Thanks for looking.

Captive Bred Yasha Goby from Live Aquaria - These guys are awesome, not shy like the other Yasha's I've had

First coral addition - ROAB Digitata - This is my test canary for coral additions

Stunning shots. Now I remember why I follow all your builds! That and the amazing wood work.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see you have setup another tank/tanks. Love the rustic setup. I keep telling myself I need to get my hands on some of that reclaimed barn lumber. I'm really excited to see the different ecosystems you plan to develop.

What are you doing to supplement algae for the starry blenny? I imagine there isn't much for it to snack on in the newly established tanks. I finally got my upgrade filled with water and running for about 2 weeks now and want to transfer my Lawnmower Blenny over, but there isn't much for him to snack on.

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stunning shots. Now I remember why I follow all your builds! That and the amazing wood work.
Like!

I remember the pics from the daily diary, told you you would never regret a jewel blenny!
Great pics as always. :)
Agree - The Starry Blenny should be a right of passage into reefing. The one from my old 250 is now in the 900 of a local reefer. I was fortunate to pay him a visit the other day.

Glad to see you have setup another tank/tanks. Love the rustic setup. I keep telling myself I need to get my hands on some of that reclaimed barn lumber. I'm really excited to see the different ecosystems you plan to develop.

What are you doing to supplement algae for the starry blenny? I imagine there isn't much for it to snack on in the newly established tanks. I finally got my upgrade filled with water and running for about 2 weeks now and want to transfer my Lawnmower Blenny over, but there isn't much for him to snack on.

Thanks for the view and comment. Thanks for following along.
I soften up some nori with the frozen that I'm feeding. He does not seem to have a favorite food, he eats is all. He's been named Marvin as in Starvin Marvin. "Marv"

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little late to the party but....WELCOME BACK! It's great to see your work again, always inspirational. Are you doing different "locales" in each tank or just whatever strikes you at the time? I'm sure whatever you do it will be fun and cool. I also like the full room shots, kind of lets us into your head a little.

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little late to the party but....WELCOME BACK! It's great to see your work again, always inspirational. Are you doing different "locales" in each tank or just whatever strikes you at the time? I'm sure whatever you do it will be fun and cool. I also like the full room shots, kind of lets us into your head a little.

Thanks for the view and comment. I'm going to vary the fish in each tank by aggression with 2 tanks that are peaceful fish and the 3rd will be semi aggressive. The tanks will all be pretty similar when it comes to coral.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Man, but I LOVE your photos!! The design of this system is simply incredible. #stillfollowing #lovinit

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
April 1st, 2017 - Photo Update
Here are a few more pics of my coral additions. I'm going to try and get regular shots of these to show some growth rate. (Good or Bad)

ORA Green Slimer - Like the Starry Blenny, you don't have a reef unless you have Green Slimer. :)

JF Champage Acro

Oregon Tort - One of my all time favorites

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question - will you put any sort of screens on the tanks to keep the fish from Jumping? These tanks have such a clean look that I can't imagine what that would look like.

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
April 5th, 2017 - Update
In one of the 3 tanks, I want to keep an anemone with the pair of clown fish. The clown fish were the first thing to go in the tank and I've been on the search for a nem that is a bit out of the ordinary. One of our LFS has a beautiful BTA that I did not want to pass up. It's still a rose color but very deep in color with some blue highlights in it. The nem went in on Sunday, and the clowns have pretty much ignored it. I was happy to find this site this morning. A match has been made.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back